Re: Smiles...

  • Asian Woman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2008
      According to a news report, a certain private school in Washington
      recently was faced with a unique problem. A number of 14-year-old
      girls were beginning to use lipstick and would put it on in the
      bathroom.

      That was fine, but after they put on their lipstick they would press
      their lips to the mirror leaving dozens of little lip prints.

      Every night the maintenance man would remove them and the next day
      the girls would put them back. Finally the principal decided that
      something had to be done.

      She called all the girls to the bathroom and met them there with the
      maintenance man. She explained that all these lip prints were causing
      a major problem for the custodian who had to clean the mirrors every
      night.

      To demonstrate how difficult it had been to clean the mirrors, she
      asked the maintenance man to show the girls how much effort was
      required.

      He took out a long-handled squeegee, dipped it in the toilet, and
      cleaned the mirror with it.

      Since then, there have been no lip prints on the mirror.

      There are teachers and there are educators

      --- In achangewilldoyougood@yahoogroups.com, "teddybear1937"
      <teddybear1937@...> wrote:

      > Even if you don't have a "funny bone" these should give you a smile.
      >
      > The Importance of Proofreading
      >
      > Here's some great examples of why proofreading is important:
      >
      > - IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of hundreds of parachuting
      > enthusiasts who bought our Easy Sky Diving book, please make the
      > following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code"
      > should have read "pull rip cord."
      >
      > - There are two important corrections to the information in the
      update
      > on our Deep Relaxation professional development program. First, the
      > program will include meditation, not medication. Second, it is
      > experiential, not experimental.
      >
      > - In the City Beat section of Friday's paper, firefighter Dwight
      Brady
      > was misidentified. His nickname in the department is "Dewey."
      Another
      > firefighter is nicknamed "Weirdo." We apologize for our mistake.
      >
      > - Our newspaper carried the notice last week that Mr. Oscar
      Hoffnagle
      > is a defective on the police force. This was a typographical error.
      > Mr. Hoffnagle is, of course, a detective on the police farce.
      >
      > - In one edition of today's Food Section, an inaccurate number of
      > jalapeno peppers was given for Jeanette Crowley's Southwestern
      chicken
      > salad recipe. The recipe should call for two, not 21, jalapeno
      peppers.

      > - The marriage of Miss Freda vanAmburg and Willie Branton, which was
      > announced in this paper a few weeks ago, was a mistake which we wish
      > to correct.

    • Michael traster
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
        Some years ago I remember watching a couple of  old movies...with Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart.

        I remember thinking... when I watch these I feel this yearning inside of me. I sense that something is missing. What is it? These people were a lot better at slowing down and ACTUALLY KEEPING COMPANY WITH ONE ANOTHER.

         Their words had personal meaning and value. Their voices had that subtle deep resonance of actually caring about both another person, and a principle.

        As our world becomes more PROFIT OBSESSED, we are more and more pressured to become "effective'' and impersonal. There is profit in "time management'' but what is lost is life itself.

        Those old movies rang out in a way that was like ink soaked deeply into the page. They spoke a truth that we often flee from but can not evade.

        Life is deeply relational by design.d things that mattered, in personal ways from ONE INDIVIDUAL TO ANOTHER

         Nearly 27 years ago, I was having a conversation with a close friend of mine. He looked at the cigarette hanging out of my mouth, and got quiet for a long moment. "Mike, do you know what this behavior is?"

        Ohh I could feel my stress level instantly beginning to rise... the commentary was about to be placed squarely on my brow.

        "what is it Bob?"

        "Suicidal behavior Mike. What you are doing is committing suicide slowly"

        I felt the anger begin to boil up inside of me. I was cornered...trapped by my friends caring words that were filled with clarity, concern, and a certain impoliteness born of him valuing me. It was a very personal comment.

        After a moment... or two, I quieted down inside and looked at Bob. "you are right Bob"

        I thought about it for 3 or 4 days.

         I AM AN ADDICT DAMNIT. THIS IS A DRUG AND I AM A DRUG ADDICT. IT IS MORE POWERFUL THAN I AM AND I CAN NOT QUIT... BUT I CAN STOP... IF I ALWAYS ACKNOWLEDGE IT'S POWER OVER ME.

        I made a plan and followed it. IT's been 26 years perhaps 27, since I didn't quit, but I did stop.

        My friends caring made all the difference. He cared enough to speak the truth directly, firmly, and quietly. The indignity that I felt from his words was not real. The indignity was my relationship to that drug.

        He gave me a huge gift... and I am greatful... and each day since finishing my home made 2 to 3 week long program I have chosen not to use my very addictive drug. Cigarettes still talk to me....still say "ohhh just one" they are always there.  and each day on that day I look at myself and do not smoke.

        My pride nearly blocked me from accepting the profound value of my friends truthfuland very personal words.

        Cigarettes were my drug. For someone else it is alcohol abuse, for another pills, for some empty sexuality, rage,violence, money, controling others instead of ourselves, ongoing self pity.... ,gambling, incessant bragging, etc. Each of these things gets some people high...they make life seem real at the very moment that they strip life from us.

        For the addict there is the endless cycle of feeling empty, fighting the habit, succumbing to the habit, feeling better, feeling remorse.. making a resolution, being stressed, and the cycle begins anew.... ENDLESSLY.
        Addictions  always lie and we lie to ourselves about them.

        There was a still voice within me that urged me to quiet down, listen carefully to my friend and his message. Moving beyond my pride enabled me to hear what he was saying, to really let the words in, to let the ink soak into the page.

        ---