For Today

  • Ian Stephenson
    Message 1 of 964 , Mar 1, 2008
      For Today --

      When a job still looked like a mere means of getting money rather
      than an opportunity for service, when the acquisition of money for
      financial independence looked more important than a right
      dependence upon God, we were still the victims of unreasonable
      fears. And these were fears which would make a serene and useful
      existence, at any financial level, quite impossible.

      -- Twelve Steps And Twelve Traditions, page 121

      Goals are a means to an end, not the ultimate purpose of our lives.
      They are simply a tool to concentrate our focus and move us in a
      direction. The only reason we really pursue goals is to cause our-
      selves to expand and grow. Achieving goals by themselves will
      never make us happy in the long term; it's who you become, as
      you overcome the obstacles necessary to achieve your goals, that
      can give you the deepest and most long-lasting sense of fulfillment.

      -- Anthony Robbins

      Power is the ability to do good things for others.

      -- Brooke Astor

      Love and myGgwy Ian S..

      An absence of alternatives clears the mind marvellously

    • Ian R Stephenson
      Message 964 of 964 , Jan 13, 2013
        *For Today --*

        * *

        *So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out
        *

        *of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run
        riot, *

        *though he usually doesn't think so. Above everything, we alcoholics must *

        *be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kills us! God makes that
        possible.*

        * *

        *-- Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62*

        * *

        * *

        *Only the detached and purified heart can view all things � the irrational *

        *cruelty of circumstance, the tortures of war, the apparent injustice of
        life, *

        *the acts and beliefs of enemy and friend � in true proportion; and reckon*

        *with calm mind the sum of evil and good. Therefore the mystics tell us*

        *perpetually that �selfhood must be killed� before Reality can be attained.*

        * *

        *-- Practical Mysticism*

        * *

        * *

        *Ego� as a concept has negative connotations for many spiritual seekers,
        for *

        *whom it is simply an impediment, an obstacle in need of eradication�Ego *

        *could be said to be a cult of one (or a self-enclosed coalition of
        survival-*

        *oriented habits that automatically refers to itself as �I�). This does not
        *

        *mean that this is evil or in need of annihilation, but rather that it's
        centered *

        *and unquestioningly governed by its own ideology�What is needed is not *

        *the elimination, but rather the illumination, of ego.*

        * *

        *-- Rob ert Augustus Masters*

        * *

        * *

        *When there is no way out, there is still always a way through.*

        * *

        *-- Eckhart Tolle*

        *
        *