RE: [acemoney] Re: on saving data...

  • Max Wanadoo
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2011

      I definitely don’t agree with that.  In my opinion, the best place to keep them is on another drive and backed up onto an external drive.  My Documents is the worst place I can think of to keep documents of any description.  Lose your OS and you lose your data.  Keep them on another drive and you can reinstall without losing anything.

      3p worth (inflation)

      Max

      The data file shouldn't really be on the Desktop anyway; best place for such files is My Documents.

      Bod

    • randee65
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2011
        I have found using an on-line backup service to be the best choice. It is inexpensive solution in the event of total lost of info. I also keep a backup copy in in a folder c:/documents/acemoney. I also keep all attachments I use for Acemoney there.

        Steve
        --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Max Wanadoo <max.wanadoo@...> wrote:

        > I definitely don't agree with that. In my opinion, the best place to keep
        > them is on another drive and backed up onto an external drive. My Documents
        > is the worst place I can think of to keep documents of any description.
        > Lose your OS and you lose your data. Keep them on another drive and you can
        > reinstall without losing anything.
        >

        > 3p worth (inflation)
        >

        > Max

      • ken7oaks
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
          I also use on-line backup: it easily automated and covers damage to my computer, fire and theft. However I am concerned about online security so save the AceDataFile using TrueCrypt which I suspect is much more secure than the normal AceMoney password.

          KenSevenoaks

          --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "randee65" <skeen55@...> wrote:

          > I have found using an on-line backup service to be the best choice. It is inexpensive solution in the event of total lost of info. I also keep a backup copy in in a folder c:/documents/acemoney. I also keep all attachments I use for Acemoney there.
          >
          > Steve
          > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Max Wanadoo <max.wanadoo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I definitely don't agree with that. In my opinion, the best place to keep
          > > them is on another drive and backed up onto an external drive. My Documents
          > > is the worst place I can think of to keep documents of any description.
          > > Lose your OS and you lose your data. Keep them on another drive and you can
          > > reinstall without losing anything.
          > >

          > > 3p worth (inflation)
          > >

          > > Max

        • Linda Kilcrease
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011

            Other options might be saving the file weekly or so to a flash drive and having a relative hold onto it at their house.  Free and not an issue with internet security (pick a relative wisely).  Or put it into a safe deposit box.

            I also use on-line backup: it easily automated and covers damage to my computer, fire and theft. However I am concerned about online security so save the AceDataFile using TrueCrypt which I suspect is much more secure than the normal AceMoney password.

            KenSevenoaks

            --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "randee65" <skeen55@...> wrote:

            > I have found using an on-line backup service to be the best choice. It is inexpensive solution in the event of total lost of info. I also keep a backup copy in in a folder c:/documents/acemoney. I also keep all attachments I use for Acemoney there.
            >
            > Steve
            > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Max Wanadoo <max.wanadoo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I definitely don't agree with that. In my opinion, the best place to keep
            > > them is on another drive and backed up onto an external drive. My Documents
            > > is the worst place I can think of to keep documents of any description.
            > > Lose your OS and you lose your data. Keep them on another drive and you can
            > > reinstall without losing anything.
            > >

            > > 3p worth (inflation)
            > >

            > > Max

          • Russell Darling
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011

              Adding my tuppence worth, I partition my disk such that all my own data is in D drive whilst the programs go where they want to at installation time.  So AceMoney is installed in C:\Program Files and the data file is in D:\Russell\Finance

              Backups are done every night alternating to two DVDs using Nero BackItUp on a Differential basis for only the D drive.  Every week Norton Ghost does a complete backup of the C drive to an external Maxtor disk.

              I don’t take disks off site, only when going on holiday!

              Russell Darling