Re: AceMoney Version 4.10

  • asimanov
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 12, 2010
      Cip,

      > I don't understand that:" Now the transaction dialog accepts amounts
      > in foreign currency".
      > Please explain...

      Sometimes it only takes to press F1 and find an answer in the build in help file :)

      Here is a copy/paste from the Transaction Dialog help:

      Amount

      Enter amount of money into this field. Please, use amount in the account's currency. In addition to the plain numbers, you can use simple arithmetic expressions, like "20+10", "(12+18)*1.06" or "56 / 3".

      By default this field takes amounts in the account currency, however you can enter the three letter code of the amount currency at the end, e.g.: "100 usd", "3000 RUB" or "55 EUR", and AceMoney will convert the amount to the current account currency using the most recent exchange rate.

      Alex.
    • asimanov
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 12, 2010
        > I don't see a link for current users. Do we just download the trial
        > version?

        Yes.

        > New website is nifty.

        Thanks!

        > Makes me wanna ask, "When the Mac version?"

        In the pipeline. Most of the codebase already builds on a mac, but not the GUI itself. Interested in the command line version? Something like:

        "am addtransaction -date today -account Checking -amount -10.0 -category Food -payee Walmart"

        or

        "am addaccount -name "Capital One Card" -initialbalance -1000.0"

        or

        "am gettransactions -account Checking"

        That we could release very soon as native apps both for Mac and Linux, 100% compatible with the Windows data file, but it won't be too user friendly.

        Thoughts?

        Alex.
      • rwaller001
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 13, 2010
          Are you planning for this to be available to scheduled transactions, I just tried it with one of my monthly dollar transactions and it fails with "Invalid Number Format"

          --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "asimanov" <acemoney@...> wrote:

          > Cip,
          >
          > > I don't understand that:" Now the transaction dialog accepts amounts
          > > in foreign currency".
          > > Please explain...
          >
          > Sometimes it only takes to press F1 and find an answer in the build in help file :)
          >
          > Here is a copy/paste from the Transaction Dialog help:
          >
          > Amount
          >
          > Enter amount of money into this field. Please, use amount in the account's currency. In addition to the plain numbers, you can use simple arithmetic expressions, like "20+10", "(12+18)*1.06" or "56 / 3".
          >
          > By default this field takes amounts in the account currency, however you can enter the three letter code of the amount currency at the end, e.g.: "100 usd", "3000 RUB" or "55 EUR", and AceMoney will convert the amount to the current account currency using the most recent exchange rate.
          >
          > Alex.

        • asimanov
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 16, 2010
            Hi,

            > Are you planning for this to be available to scheduled transactions,
            > I just tried it with one of my monthly dollar transactions and it
            > fails with "Invalid Number Format"

            We have not thought of that. What task are you trying to solve?

            Alex.
          • rwaller001
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 17, 2010
              --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "asimanov" <acemoney@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > > Are you planning for this to be available to scheduled transactions,
              > > I just tried it with one of my monthly dollar transactions and it
              > > fails with "Invalid Number Format"
              >
              > We have not thought of that. What task are you trying to solve?
              >
              > Alex.

              I have a couple of regular monthly transactions that are charged in USD and it would be nice to have them automatically converted to UKP when entered into the main screen
            • asimanov
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
                > > > Are you planning for this to be available to scheduled
                > > > transactions, I just tried it with one of my monthly dollar
                > > > transactions and it fails with "Invalid Number Format"

                > > We have not thought of that. What task are you trying to solve?

                > I have a couple of regular monthly transactions that are charged in
                > USD and it would be nice to have them automatically converted to UKP
                > when entered into the main screen

                Ah, I see. The thing is that it will require much deeper modifications of our bill management. When you enter "100 usd" to the transaction dialog, we immediately compute the final value in GBP and do not store the original amount in dollars. Here we would have to start doing that.

                Anyway, your use case is very valid and I'm adding your request to the development plan. I personally pay the same amount in Euros to the long distance service every two months with my Chase credit card (in USD) and would like to automate that bill payment for myself too :)

                Alex.
              • rwaller001
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
                  Thanks, Alex, will look forward to it :-)

                  > > > We have not thought of that. What task are you trying to solve?
                  >
                  > > I have a couple of regular monthly transactions that are charged in
                  > > USD and it would be nice to have them automatically converted to UKP
                  > > when entered into the main screen
                  >
                  > Ah, I see. The thing is that it will require much deeper modifications of our bill management. When you enter "100 usd" to the transaction dialog, we immediately compute the final value in GBP and do not store the original amount in dollars. Here we would have to start doing that.
                  >
                  > Anyway, your use case is very valid and I'm adding your request to the development plan. I personally pay the same amount in Euros to the long distance service every two months with my Chase credit card (in USD) and would like to automate that bill payment for myself too :)
                  >
                  > Alex.

                • Eric Weir
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011

                    On Dec 12, 2010, at 1:32 PM, asimanov wrote:

                    > Makes me wanna ask, "When the Mac version?"

                    In the pipeline. Most of the codebase already builds on a mac, but not the GUI itself. Interested in the command line version? Something like:

                    "am addtransaction -date today -account Checking -amount -10.0 -category Food -payee Walmart"

                    or

                    "am addaccount -name "Capital One Card" -initialbalance -1000.0"

                    or

                    "am gettransactions -account Checking"

                    That we could release very soon as native apps both for Mac and Linux, 100% compatible with the Windows data file, but it won't be too user friendly.

                    Sorry I missed this, Alex. Glad to hear it's coming along. I don't know about using a command line version. Knowing AceMoney as I do, if it was the only way I could have it, and if there was a manual to help me get to the point where commands were intuitive -- like we had to do back in the days of DOS and CPM -- I'd welcome it. As it is, as you told me for a long time before necessity forced me to give it a try -- AceMoney runs pretty well on the Mac under Wine/CrossOver. So my thought know would be to be patient, stick with AcMoney under Wine/CrossOver, and wait for the glorius day when AceMoney OS X/Linux arrives.

                    Eric Weir
                    Decatur, GA  USA

                    P.S. After writing the above I took a closer look at the commands in your response. Pretty Straightforward. Might be fun to play with on the side while maintaining AceMoney in Wine/CrossOver as my "real" accounts manager, just to be safe. Perhaps others have expressed interested since your response and question, and are already giving the command line version a tryout. In any case, having users try it out might be of help to you as development winds down, turning up bugs, etc. If so, and if the list of the essential core of commands is not to onerous, I'd be open to experiencing learning about software the way we used to learn about it.

                  • Eric Weir
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                      On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:03 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

                      > Sorry I missed this, Alex. Glad to hear it's coming along. I don't know about using a command line version. Knowing AceMoney as I do, if it was the only way I could have it, and if there was a manual to help me get to the point where commands were intuitive -- like we had to do back in the days of DOS and CPM -- I'd welcome it. As it is, as you told me for a long time before necessity forced me to give it a try -- AceMoney runs pretty well on the Mac under Wine/CrossOver. So my thought know would be to be patient, stick with AcMoney under Wine/CrossOver, and wait for the glorius day when AceMoney OS X/Linux arrives.

                      Oh, and I forgot to say what I've said before, something other users may not be happy with me saying, but since AceMoney is a steal anyway, I'd be happy as an already licensed user to pay for a new license for the OS X version.

                      Eric Weir
                      Decatur, GA USA
                      eeweir@...