Needing a little help in setting up my accounts???

  • jaycarter829
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30 6:30 PM
      Good evening, this is my first post and would like to get help in setting my accounts, payee's and the scheduling of the accounts?? It confuses the heck out of me. Maybe there is a video somewhere, and the acemoney website does not help me. The main reason I brought the software is to keep track of when bills are due and where the money goes. The program looks wonderful, just trying to get my money's worth.

      Thanks for you help in advance:)
    • ju_wills
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2010
        Hi and welcome.

        I'm not quite sure what it is that you're having problems with.
        • An AceMoney account = a real account (a bank account, a credit card account, a savings account, etc., or even Cash - but only if you're the sort of person who can be bothered to track every last penny!)
        • A payee is somebody/a company you pay money to (or, if you're lucky, somebody/a company who pays money to you).  Basically, it's somebody ELSE's account.
        • A schedule is a regular payment to/from some payee.
        If you're starting from scratch, set up your current account and download a month's worth of data from your online banking service into AceMoney.  Then go through and categorise each item on the statement.  If it's a regular (scheduled) payment, right click and add to schedule, and tell AceMoney the frequency and date of payments.

        If you have a credit card, do the same for that.  That should give you a fairly good starting point.  Repeat for your savings accounts, etc.

        Spending is always a withdrawal (whether it's from a bank account or a credit card account).  Deposits are for money going into the account (e.g. money going into the credit card account when you pay your bill, or a refund for anything you've returned).

        Note that when you pay your credit card bill, that should be a Transfer from your current account to your credit card account (assuming you use your current account to pay your credit card account).  This is true even if you pay it by writing a cheque.  That way the transaction will show up on both accounts (reflecting real life).  The same if you actually transfer money from your bank account to a savings account and vice-versa.

        So, start by importing some real data, keep it simple to start with, and take it from there.

        Julie

        --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "jaycarter829" <jaycarter829@...> wrote:

        > Good evening, this is my first post and would like to get help in setting my accounts, payee's and the scheduling of the accounts?? It confuses the heck out of me. Maybe there is a video somewhere, and the acemoney website does not help me. The main reason I brought the software is to keep track of when bills are due and where the money goes. The program looks wonderful, just trying to get my money's worth.
        >
        > Thanks for you help in advance:)
      • James Carter
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2010
          Thanks for getting back to me very quickly, I was going to start from scratch and found out that my importing from my bank would not come through to acemoney program. Tried all the five different types of bank downloads (TD Bank), with no luck. It is saved to my desktop, just the program does not recognized any of them??? What other things can I do? I guess I'm a problem child or something, my operating system is windows seven.

          On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:07 AM, ju_wills <julie.wills@...> wrote:

          Hi and welcome.

          I'm not quite sure what it is that you're having problems with.

          • An AceMoney account = a real account (a bank account, a credit card account, a savings account, etc., or even Cash - but only if you're the sort of person who can be bothered to track every last penny!)
          • A payee is somebody/a company you pay money to (or, if you're lucky, somebody/a company who pays money to you).  Basically, it's somebody ELSE's account.
          • A schedule is a regular payment to/from some payee.
          If you're starting from scratch, set up your current account and download a month's worth of data from your online banking service into AceMoney.  Then go through and categorise each item on the statement.  If it's a regular (scheduled) payment, right click and add to schedule, and tell AceMoney the frequency and date of payments.

          If you have a credit card, do the same for that.  That should give you a fairly good starting point.  Repeat for your savings accounts, etc.

          Spending is always a withdrawal (whether it's from a bank account or a credit card account).  Deposits are for money going into the account (e.g. money going into the credit card account when you pay your bill, or a refund for anything you've returned).

          Note that when you pay your credit card bill, that should be a Transfer from your current account to your credit card account (assuming you use your current account to pay your credit card account).  This is true even if you pay it by writing a cheque.  That way the transaction will show up on both accounts (reflecting real life).  The same if you actually transfer money from your bank account to a savings account and vice-versa.

          So, start by importing some real data, keep it simple to start with, and take it from there.

          Julie

          --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "jaycarter829" <jaycarter829@...> wrote:

          > Good evening, this is my first post and would like to get help in setting my accounts, payee's and the scheduling of the accounts?? It confuses the heck out of me. Maybe there is a video somewhere, and the acemoney website does not help me. The main reason I brought the software is to keep track of when bills are due and where the money goes. The program looks wonderful, just trying to get my money's worth.
          >
          > Thanks for you help in advance:)

        • asimanov
          Message 4 of 14 , May 13, 2010
            James,

            > Thanks for getting back to me very quickly, I was going to start
            > from scratch and found out that my importing from my bank would not
            > come through to acemoney program. Tried all the five different
            > types of bank downloads (*TD Bank*), with no luck. It is saved to
            > my desktop, just the program does not recognized any of them???
            > What other things can I do? I guess I'm a problem child or
            > something, my operating system is windows seven.

            Please send the files that cannot be imported to us (submit a ticket at http://support.mechcad.net and attach files to that ticket) and we will let you know what format should be used and give you step by step instructions on how to import them.

            Alex
            MechCAD Software
          • ju_wills
            Message 5 of 14 , May 14, 2010
              Which browser are you using to access your bank's downloads?

              If it's Firefox (for instance) you need to tell Firefox what to do with
              the particular file types that you're downloading. In Tools | Options
              | Applications, choose QIF and OFX and set Firefox to "Always ask" you
              what to do with the file. Then, when it prompts you, you can tell it to
              use the AceMoney importer.

              Julie

              > > Thanks for getting back to me very quickly, I was going to start
              > > from scratch and found out that my importing from my bank would not
              > > come through to acemoney program. Tried all the five different
              > > types of bank downloads (*TD Bank*), with no luck. It is saved to
              > > my desktop, just the program does not recognized any of them???
              > > What other things can I do? I guess I'm a problem child or
              > > something, my operating system is windows seven.
            • Debbie Sobieski
              Message 6 of 14 , May 14, 2010

                First, love the new version and the quick help responses!

                I have set up the download options on all of my accounts.  My credit union account works correctly.

                I am having a problem downloading my transactions for my Citibank Visa.  I believe I have set it up correctly, but when I try to download the transactions, I receive a “failed” message.  Unfortunately, the message does not indicate why it failed.

                I have 5 accounts at Charles Schwab that I also cannot download.  I have selected “brokerage” as account type, but Charles Schwab is not on the list.  Will it be on the list at a later date?

                I saw an earlier email regarding telling Firefox (which is what I am using) to “always ask” when using the QIF files.  On that tab, my QIF file is associated with Quicken (which I have previously used).  Can this be the problem with the other accounts?  How can I fix the association?

                I am using Windows 7.

                Thanks

                Debbie Sobieski

              • jhorv
                Message 7 of 14 , May 16, 2010
                  Hi Debbie,

                  I am having the same problem as you, but I am using a bank provider: Canada - CIBC (English). Also like you, I have Quicken associated with QIF files. However, I don't think the file associations are important in this case; what we are trying to do is initiate a direct download which means it bypasses the browser altogether. You would only be concerned about the QIF setting when you log in to your bank via a browser and then instead of clicking a link to download and then import a file, you simply click on the link to open the file directly.

                  What I think the problem may be is that for a direct download not all banks run an appropriate OFX server. I checked my bank and when I downloaded the file it was a QFX file and not OFX. As far as I can tell, QFX and OFX are more less similar. However, perhaps this could be the reason why it doesn't work? Maybe file associations are important after all? If anyone else has an idea of what could be wrong I'd also like to know.

                  All the best,
                  John

                  --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Sobieski" <dbsccls@...> wrote:

                  > First, love the new version and the quick help responses!
                  >

                  > I have set up the download options on all of my accounts. My credit union
                  > account works correctly.
                  >

                  > I am having a problem downloading my transactions for my Citibank Visa. I
                  > believe I have set it up correctly, but when I try to download the
                  > transactions, I receive a "failed" message. Unfortunately, the message does
                  > not indicate why it failed.
                  >

                  > I have 5 accounts at Charles Schwab that I also cannot download. I have
                  > selected "brokerage" as account type, but Charles Schwab is not on the list.
                  > Will it be on the list at a later date?
                  >

                  > I saw an earlier email regarding telling Firefox (which is what I am using)
                  > to "always ask" when using the QIF files. On that tab, my QIF file is
                  > associated with Quicken (which I have previously used). Can this be the
                  > problem with the other accounts? How can I fix the association?
                  >

                  > I am using Windows 7.
                  >

                  > Thanks
                  >

                  > Debbie Sobieski

                • asimanov
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17, 2010
                    Hi John,

                    > What I think the problem may be is that for a direct download not
                    > all banks run an appropriate OFX server. I checked my bank and when
                    > I downloaded the file it was a QFX file and not OFX. As far as I
                    > can tell, QFX and OFX are more less similar. However, perhaps this
                    > could be the reason why it doesn't work? Maybe file associations
                    > are important after all? If anyone else has an idea of what could
                    > be wrong I'd also like to know.

                    OFX server always provides data in OFX format, hence the name :-)

                    Besides it is almost impossible to manually download files from it. Most likely you downloaded that file from your regular bank web server and it had a QFX extension. AceMoney can read those files, just use File->Import. Again this feature has nothing to do with direct connections.

                    Alex
                  • jhorv
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 17, 2010
                      Thanks Alex,

                      You are quite right and until now I have been importing the QFX data into my account. Still I would like to get the direct download working since it would be faster and more convenient.

                      In the meantime, I think I found what the problem is. In the Languages folder is a file called onlineservices.dta which is a tab delimited file. If you open this file in Excel or another type of worksheet program you will see a list of banks with related information for conducting a direct download session (for instance, the URL of the OFX server). To my surprise this list contains the data for only 27 banks. In other words, although someone mentioned how great AceMoney direct download was because it listed some 4,000 institutions, in reality this list is useless and misleading. If your bank isn't on this list then you can't do a direct download, it's as simple as that.

                      I checked around a bit and it appears that MS Money has the exact same list, so I am not sure if AceMoney simply borrowed this list but didn't fill in the details. In any case, I find it a little dishonest of AceMoney to list so many institutions but only provide the connection data for a few. They could have informed users of this in one way or another.

                      In my particular case, the CIBC of course wasn't listed. I looked around to see if I could fill in the information myself but so far I haven't been able to find the URL or connection data of the CIBC OFX server. If anyone happens to know it then it would be greatly appreciated if you let me know.

                      In the meantime, perhaps someone should think of setting up a group or blog to collect from users the three thousand or so institutions with missing connection data. In this way a complete list can be gradually built by individual contributions and make AceMoney truly the envy of home accounting programs. Anyway, it's just a thought.

                      Bye for now,
                      John

                      --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "asimanov" <acemoney@...> wrote:

                      > Hi John,
                      >
                      > > What I think the problem may be is that for a direct download not
                      > > all banks run an appropriate OFX server. I checked my bank and when
                      > > I downloaded the file it was a QFX file and not OFX. As far as I
                      > > can tell, QFX and OFX are more less similar. However, perhaps this
                      > > could be the reason why it doesn't work? Maybe file associations
                      > > are important after all? If anyone else has an idea of what could
                      > > be wrong I'd also like to know.
                      >
                      > OFX server always provides data in OFX format, hence the name :-)
                      >
                      > Besides it is almost impossible to manually download files from it. Most likely you downloaded that file from your regular bank web server and it had a QFX extension. AceMoney can read those files, just use File->Import. Again this feature has nothing to do with direct connections.
                      >
                      > Alex

                    • L. Hazel Kilcrease
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 17, 2010

                        John, you may have the wrong file?  Check the extension.  I opened onlineservices.dat and not onlineservices.dta.   Long list with that file.

                        You are quite right and until now I have been importing the QFX data into my account. Still I would like to get the direct download working since it would be faster and more convenient.

                        In the meantime, I think I found what the problem is. In the Languages folder is a file called onlineservices.dta which is a tab delimited file. If you open this file in Excel or another type of worksheet program you will see a list of banks with related information for conducting a direct download session (for instance, the URL of the OFX server). To my surprise this list contains the data for only 27 banks. In other words, although someone mentioned how great AceMoney direct download was because it listed some 4,000 institutions, in reality this list is useless and misleading. If your bank isn't on this list then you can't do a direct download, it's as simple as that.

                        I checked around a bit and it appears that MS Money has the exact same list, so I am not sure if AceMoney simply borrowed this list but didn't fill in the details. In any case, I find it a little dishonest of AceMoney to list so many institutions but only provide the connection data for a few. They could have informed users of this in one way or another.

                        In my particular case, the CIBC of course wasn't listed. I looked around to see if I could fill in the information myself but so far I haven't been able to find the URL or connection data of the CIBC OFX server. If anyone happens to know it then it would be greatly appreciated if you let me know.

                        In the meantime, perhaps someone should think of setting up a group or blog to collect from users the three thousand or so institutions with missing connection data. In this way a complete list can be gradually built by individual contributions and make AceMoney truly the envy of home accounting programs. Anyway, it's just a thought.

                        Bye for now,
                        John

                        --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "asimanov" <acemoney@...> wrote:

                        > Hi John,
                        >
                        > > What I think the problem may be is that for a direct download not
                        > > all banks run an appropriate OFX server. I checked my bank and when
                        > > I downloaded the file it was a QFX file and not OFX. As far as I
                        > > can tell, QFX and OFX are more less similar. However, perhaps this
                        > > could be the reason why it doesn't work? Maybe file associations
                        > > are important after all? If anyone else has an idea of what could
                        > > be wrong I'd also like to know.
                        >
                        > OFX server always provides data in OFX format, hence the name :-)
                        >
                        > Besides it is almost impossible to manually download files from it. Most
                        likely you downloaded that file from your regular bank web server and it had a QFX extension. AceMoney can read those files, just use File->Import. Again this feature has nothing to do with direct connections.

                        > Alex

                      • asimanov
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 17, 2010
                          John,

                          > In the meantime, I think I found what the problem is. In the
                          > Languages folder is a file called onlineservices.dta which is a tab
                          > delimited file. If you open this file in Excel or another type of
                          > worksheet program you will see a list of banks with related
                          > information for conducting a direct download session (for instance,
                          > the URL of the OFX server). To my surprise this list contains the
                          > data for only 27 banks. In other words, although someone mentioned
                          > how great AceMoney direct download was because it listed some 4,000
                          > institutions, in reality this list is useless and misleading. If
                          > your bank isn't on this list then you can't do a direct download,
                          > it's as simple as that.

                          You are jumping to wrong conclusions too soon. It never hurts to ask first. The file that you found is not the only place where online service providers are defined. This is an update file, it only has data about recently changed services. There is another much larger file in the same directory that you've surprisingly missed.

                          Have you seen big lists in the online setup dialog? They must be coming from some place, right? All those banks have OFX servers, and they are supported and the total number of banks with ofx servers that we know of is about 4000. We do stand behind our words.

                          > In any case, I find it a little dishonest of AceMoney to list so
                          > many institutions but only provide the connection data for a few.
                          > In my particular case, the CIBC of course wasn't listed.

                          John, what I find a little dishonest is when you are making such strong statements without any verification. CIBC is supported (of course), it is listed as "Canada - CIBC (English)". Try accessing it and let us know how great direct connect feature works with it :-)

                          Oh, and no need to create a special group, all the data is already in the software.

                          Alex
                          MechCAD Software
                        • jhorv
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 20, 2010
                            Hi Alex,

                            My apologies for jumping to a false conclusion. Yes, I noticed that there is a much bigger file, onlineservices.dat, but this doesn't seem to be in the same format as the dta file. In other words, it can't be easily opened by a spreadsheet program and edited.

                            About the CIBC entry, as I mentioned in my previous post, I had already tried it and like Debbie's original problem, it simply doesn't work and it doesn't give an explanation why it doesn't work. When I did a search through the onlineservices.dat file, all I could see was a reference to the CIBC web site and not an OFX server, so the problem still remains.

                            In the end, I did what you said in your post and tried accessing it, and now I am letting you know how not so great direct connect feature works with it :-(

                            John
                          • asimanov
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 20, 2010
                              Hi John,

                              > My apologies for jumping to a false conclusion. Yes, I noticed that
                              > there is a much bigger file, onlineservices.dat, but this doesn't
                              > seem to be in the same format as the dta file. In other words, it
                              > can't be easily opened by a spreadsheet program and edited.

                              And that's the goal, you are not supposed to change it.

                              > About the CIBC entry, as I mentioned in my previous post, I had
                              > already tried it and like Debbie's original problem, it simply
                              > doesn't work and it doesn't give an explanation why it doesn't
                              > work.

                              It does. Double click on the failed message to see the reason why connection failed.

                              > In the end, I did what you said in your post and tried accessing
                              > it, and now I am letting you know how not so great direct connect
                              > feature works with it :-(

                              The feature works really great, we are very happy with the number of direct connect confirmations received from our users from all over the world. OFX is a standard protocol for bank connections, AceMoney simply follows the standard. Since it can connect to the other banks, most likely the problem is with your bank, not AceMoney itself.

                              Could you please call your bank and ask them if they actually still provide the service and you are eligible to use it? A lot of banks need to enable access for the client first, some charge extra fees for accessing their OFX servers. Sometimes you need to use a different set of credentials provided by the bank. Keep in mind that the OFX server is not the same as the bank web site.

                              Alex
                              MechCAD Software
                            • L. Hazel Kilcrease
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 20, 2010

                                John,

                                You might consider saying only what something does or does not do.  As in the old FBI TV series, “Just the facts, ma’am”.

                                You add comments that are unnecessary and offensive.   In addition to false conclusions, in this communication you now say “I am letting you know how not so great…..”.   Not needed.