Cash flow vs. time of expense

  • Marinko Sepic
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
      Hello!

      How do you guys enter your credit card expenses in AceMoney. Do you
      enter them when you pay your credit card bill, or at the time expense
      happened? Both methods seem to have their up's and downs and I can't
      seem to decide which one I like more.

      Thanks, MS
    • jayleighsmith1
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
        --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Marinko Sepic" <msepic@...> wrote:

        > Hello!
        >

        > How do you guys enter your credit card expenses in AceMoney. Do you
        > enter them when you pay your credit card bill, or at the time
        expense
        > happened? Both methods seem to have their up's and downs and I can't
        > seem to decide which one I like more.
        >

        > Thanks, MS

        I always enter my charges as they occur & let the balance show as
        negative - money owed. When my invoice comes in, I do a transfer
        from Checking to Credit Card Account. This negates the negative
        balance & should show a Zero balance at time of Statement. I find it
        easier to just add the expense items while I have the credit slips in
        my hands than doing a long session when statement comes due.

        Jay
      • sumpteretc
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
          I enter them at the time the expense happened, then I download the
          statement to make sure I haven't missed anything.

          --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Marinko Sepic" <msepic@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          >

          > How do you guys enter your credit card expenses in AceMoney. Do you
          > enter them when you pay your credit card bill, or at the time expense
          > happened? Both methods seem to have their up's and downs and I can't
          > seem to decide which one I like more.
          >

          > Thanks, MS

        • Remy Lebeau
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
            > How do you guys enter your credit card expenses in AceMoney.
            > Do you enter them when you pay your credit card bill, or at the
            > time expense happened?

            I record credit card transactions at the time the charges are made. Periodically, I check online with the credit companies to make sure the charges have acually cleared. I mark them as Cleared in AceMoney at that time. I marked cleared items as Reconciled when I pay each credit card bill later on. Doing it this way, I can always see on the Accounts screen of AceMoney exactly how much money I owe on each card before I receive their bills. This is also useful to ensure I do not overspend, since I can easily see how much I have already charged on each card.

            Be a better friend, newshound, and