Re: Split transactions

  • mennomonica
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2003
      I'm having (also) the same problem.
      Menno

      --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Larry Jackson <okblackhawk@e...>
      wrote:
      > I just installed the 3.2 version of AceMoney and seem to have a
      problem
      > with split transactions. When I try to enter a split transaction,
      it
      > tells me the transaction amount should be equal to the sum of the
      splits.
      > I can't see anything I have done different than before. When I
      get
      > through adding the each part of the split transaction, there is no
      > unassigned amount. Everything is as it should be, except for the
      error
      > message and it will not allow me to proceed with the transaction.
      I have
      > to group it all into one category for it to accept the transaction.
      >
      > --
      > LJ
      > My best friend is my Wife!
      >
      > Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client
    • Dennis Rekuta
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
        mennomonica wrote:

        > I'm having (also) the same problem.
        > Menno

        I am having the same problem in 3.2 with a split, but oddly enough only
        on one of my two "Bank" accounts. It happens to be overdrawn, (negative
        balance), (but that is a problem you can't help me with ;-)). My
        separate "Cash" account and my three "Credit Card" accounts will all
        take a split transaction.

        Dennis
      • Alexander Simanov
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
          Hello Larry,

          > I just installed the 3.2 version of AceMoney and seem to have a
          > problem with split transactions. When I try to enter a split
          > transaction, it tells me the transaction amount should be equal
          > to the sum of the splits.

          For some reason we can't repeat this bug. Could you or anyone else
          experiencing the same problem, please describe the sequence of
          actions leading to the bug?

          Alex.
        • Larry Jackson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
            On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:28:54 -0000, Alexander Simanov
            <acemoney@...> wrote:

            > Hello Larry,

            > For some reason we can't repeat this bug. Could you or anyone else
            > experiencing the same problem, please describe the sequence of
            > actions leading to the bug?

            Alex, it is pretty simple, really. I was trying to enter some
            transactions at Wal-Mart into my account register. Since all the money
            was not spent on the same thing, I did a split transaction, as I usually
            would. I added my categories and amounts and made sure the split amounts
            and the total amount added properly. When I click to enter the
            transaction to the register, it gives me an error message. It says the
            sum of the splits should be the same as the total transaction. I have
            double checked my numbers, used an adding machine and made sure every
            thing was right, but it still refuses to let me do the split transaction.

            --
            LJ
            My best friend is my Wife!

            Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client
          • Peter Sparrow
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2003
              I had this same problem (with v.3.2) on some of my splits. Sometimes it
              would allow them and sometimes not. There must be a pattern but it didn't
              happen often enough to discern what it was. Certainly the numbers added up
              correctly but it kept telling me they didn't.
              Peter
              <acemoney@...> wrote:

              > Hello Larry,

              > For some reason we can't repeat this bug. Could you or anyone else
              > experiencing the same problem, please describe the sequence of
              > actions leading to the bug?

              Alex, it is pretty simple, really. I was trying to enter some
              transactions at Wal-Mart into my account register. Since all the money
              was not spent on the same thing, I did a split transaction, as I usually
              would. I added my categories and amounts and made sure the split amounts
              and the total amount added properly. When I click to enter the
              transaction to the register, it gives me an error message. It says the
              sum of the splits should be the same as the total transaction. I have
              double checked my numbers, used an adding machine and made sure every
              thing was right, but it still refuses to let me do the split transaction.

              --
              LJ
              My best friend is my Wife!

              Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client

            • matthewbrookes
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
                --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Simanov" <acemoney@m...>
                wrote:

                > For some reason we can't repeat this bug. Could you or anyone else
                > experiencing the same problem, please describe the sequence of
                > actions leading to the bug?

                In may case, going back to edit past transactions in order to add
                comments in splits kicked off this bug. I was getting the error
                message for some transactions, but not others, all of which had been
                previously accepted, and totalled correctly. I didn't see any obvious
                pattern.

                Regards,
                Matt.
              • asimanov
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                  > > For some reason we can't repeat this bug. Could you or anyone
                  > > else experiencing the same problem, please describe
                  > > the sequence of actions leading to the bug?

                  > In may case, going back to edit past transactions in order to add
                  > comments in splits kicked off this bug. I was getting the error
                  > message for some transactions, but not others, all of which had
                  > been previously accepted, and totalled correctly. I didn't see any
                  > obvious pattern.

                  Version 3.2.1 has some code which should prevent this disturbing
                  behavior. However we couldn't really repeat the bug, it showed up a
                  couple of times, but after we inserted that piece of code, it
                  disappeared.

                  Please, let us know if the problem is still there. Again, the exact
                  sequence of actions will be greatly appreciated.

                  Alex.
                • Dennis Rekuta
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                    asimanov wrote:

                    > Version 3.2.1 has some code which should prevent this disturbing
                    > behavior. However we couldn't really repeat the bug, it showed up a
                    > couple of times, but after we inserted that piece of code, it
                    > disappeared.
                    >
                    > Please, let us know if the problem is still there. Again, the exact
                    > sequence of actions will be greatly appreciated.
                    >
                    > Alex.

                    Alex: I downloaded and installed 3.2.1 and I am still getting the same
                    bug, but only on one particular split. Other splits seem to work, but I
                    could not get this split to work in any of my bank or credit card
                    accounts.
                    Purchase from Wal Mart, $11.63, split $4.22 and $7.41 between two
                    different categories. Everything looks fine until the final OK on the
                    split page, and then, the same problem Larry talked about on Tuesday:

                    > Alex, it is pretty simple, really. I was trying to enter some
                    >transactions at Wal-Mart into my account register. Since all the money
                    >was not spent on the same thing, I did a split transaction, as I usually
                    >would. I added my categories and amounts and made sure the split amounts
                    >and the total amount added properly. When I click to enter the
                    >transaction to the register, it gives me an error message. It says the
                    >sum of the splits should be the same as the total transaction. I have
                    >double checked my numbers, used an adding machine and made sure every
                    >thing was right, but it still refuses to let me do the split transaction.

                    The only thing Larry and I have in common is that the purchase was from
                    Wal Mart. I then altered the transaction to be total $11.64, split $4.22
                    and $7.42, and it went through, including comments. Is there some
                    rounding error in the code? I hope this helps.

                    Dennis
                  • docrogers2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2003
                      Hi

                      I have had exactly the same problem, tho' with a different split- and
                      not connected with Walmart! I had a scheduled split containing 3
                      categories, which had been entered into the register an dwhich I
                      later edited by deleting one entry. All the maths was correct but it
                      wouldn't accept the changes, with the same error dialog box appearing
                      as below - "sum of the splits should be the same as the total
                      transaction". The only solution was to delete the lot and enter again-
                      this time it was ok.

                      Hope this helps

                      Martyn

                      --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Rekuta <dennis.rekuta@s...>

                    • ken_day2
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2003
                        I also have the same problem with splits with 3.2.1, the amounts are
                        £6.06 (£2.18, £3.88) and £30.06 (£5.99, £20, £4.07). I have deleted
                        the transactions and re-entered them and the same thing happens.

                        Ken.

                        --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "docrogers2000"

                      • MechCAD Software
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2003
                          Hello,

                          > I also have the same problem with splits with 3.2.1, the amounts
                          > are £6.06 (£2.18, £3.88) and £30.06 (£5.99, £20, £4.07). I have
                          > deleted the transactions and re-entered them and the same thing
                          > happens.

                          Thank you, all! We were able to repeat this error and the fix will be
                          delivered soon.

                          Alex.

                          PS: Of course WalMart has nothing to do with it :-)