RE: [acemoney] Re: Need book - What accounting method(s) is AceMoney based on?

  • Bryce Winter
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26 5:00 PM
      Hi Donna,

      I'm a new user, and this kind of report is something that would be really
      useful for me too - how do you do it?

      Cheers,

      Bryce.

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 27 11:18 AM
        Hello Bryce,
        Welcome to Ace Money. Here is what I did.
        Go to Report Page. Bring up a report named Spendings by Sub-categories. Now check the box for Filter by Date and select Current Year. Now check sub-categories which have to do with taxes such as Medical, Charity etc. Next check all the relevant accounts. For instance, you may charge a charitable donation to a credit card and you want to make sure it gets counted. Now that your report is taking shape, you need to save and name it. Go up to Reports on the line above the icons (right next to Tools) click and select Add to Favorites. It will allow you to save it named whatever you like. Now you can look at this report all year long to see if info is showing up as you want it. It is not hard to change this report to the next year when you want it. You can make other reports this way: Auto Expenses per year, Leisure and miscellaneous, whatever you are watching.
        I hope this is helpful. Good luck with Ace Money. It is great!

        --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Winter" <winter.bryce@...> wrote:

        > Hi Donna,
        >

        > I'm a new user, and this kind of report is something that would be really
        > useful for me too - how do you do it?
        >

        > Cheers,
        >

        > Bryce.

      • Ed S.
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 28 4:55 AM
          Hi Julie,

          I started to input data and that was the best step. I was too fixated on the categories. Within 2 transactions I realized the Payee list was the important area. I'm finding that the standard categories are sufficient except for some minor changes.

          I'm starting from Jan 01, 2012. As of that date I'm on retirement income, except for S.S. which starts this December.

          I have the major checking account up to date. As I went along I was able to see how coordinating the Payees and Categories simplifies inputting data. Now when I put in a transaction the Category & Sub-category fill in automatically.

          The program is much more easy to configure and use than I expected.

          I'm moving along and should have the data up to date in a few days.

          The one payee that needs to be split is my credit card, and that will necessitate learning the download steps.

          I learn by doing. I used to drive coworkers and managers crazy. At first I seemed a dumb as a rock, then in short order I was expert.

          I'll report back shortly when I generate my first report. I'm hoping I'm not outspending my current income. (I don't want to "have to" get a job. That will cut into my Yoga time!)

          Thanks for your solid instruction. Are you a teacher in some form?

          Ed S.

          --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "JuWlz" <julie.wills@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > After all, your recent spending habits are more relevant than what you were spending your money on 12 years ago, and you'll probably struggle to remember what a lot of it was anyway. I'll be impressed if you're able to input meaningful data as far as Jan 2011, never mind Jan 2001 ;-).
          >
          > Tip:
          > Start by creating all the accounts that you need to track (bank account (aka current account, checking account, depending on what country you're in), any Credit Card accounts, Savings accounts, Mortgage Account (if you have one), etc. Once you have the accounts in place, you can create transactions that are transfers between them, and that will cut down a lot of work.
          >
          > Then start your data entry with your main bank account (the one that your income is paid into and your credit cards and savings accounts are paid out of). Most of your transactions will pass into / out of or "through" this account in one way or another, so by creating transfers to/from your other accounts, you should find that you have very little data that you have to enter manually in the other accounts.
          >
          > I would start by downloading the data from your bank for the last two months, and use that as a starting point to set up import rules for the rest of it (e.g. to tidy up payee names, assign categories, etc), and then download the rest of it with import rules applied. That will save you a lot of work.
          >
          > Next, add transactions for purchases (and returns) on your Credit card(s). Assuming you've recorded your payments to the cards from your bank account, you'll only need to record the spending, as your payments to the card company should turn up on the other end of the transfer. Again, start with the most recent two statements, set up import rules, and work your way backwards.
          >
          > Of course, if you work backwards, you will need to keep adjusting your opening balance for each account, but I think it's a much less daunting way to approach it, and you have the option to decide to stop at any point if you're working backwards. If you work forwards, you'll have less information about what categories etc, should be applied to the transactions (so it won't be much help in working out where the money's going anyway), and you HAVE to keep going until you reach present day.
          >
          > Don't forget that you don't necessarily need to set up the Categories and Subcategories before you start entering data. You can do those as you go along, as long as you have some idea how you want to structure them before you start.
          >
          > Julie
          >
          > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Ed S." <edspyhill09@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Julie,
          > >
          > > Thank you so much. You have been immensely helpful. I had not thought about the income categories, but that is also a necessity. I should have AM set up by the end of the week. Then the real work begins - input all the data from Jan 01.

        • Ed S.
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 28 5:13 AM
            Hi Thomas,

            I definitely was over-complicating my initial configuration of my AM setup. As I commented to Julie, the Payee list was the more important area. The main checking account is up to date and the current balance agrees with the bank.

            Here's my initial plan for tracking cash - if I get a receipt from Home Depot, Giant, etc, I'll track the spending. I usually use a debit card for food (supermarkets, wine) and home repair (Home Depot, Lowes). Many years ago we tracked every penny we spent as an exercise. We got it from a financial cassette course from the people who wrote the book, "Your Money or Your Life".

            Just about everything I buy is on a card of some sort, gas, E-ZPass, debit and credit cards.

            I see AM also helping me curb my spending as I list everything I buy from Amazon.com. There are areas of spending I know I have to cut back on. One area was musical instruments. I'm in the process of thinning the herd down to just one acoustic guitar. When I worked I got On-Call pay and that amounted to a nice pile of crazy money which I spent on musical instruments. That extra cash is long gone.

            Thanks and regards,

            Ed S.

            --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Thomas van der Straten Waillet <tstraten@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > place (here in Chile)
            > Food:Fast Food (when you order pizza's, chinese....IF you buy it, it is
            > just plain groceries...or place it here as you feel comfortable)
            > Food:Te and Coffee (you'd be surprised)
            > Food:Desserts and cakes (idem)
            >
            > NOW FOR HOLIDAYS I'd suggest the following
            > Vacation:Lodging
            > Vacation:Car rental (you can have a Car rental in Business:Car rental and
            > they will NOT mix!!!)
            > Vacation:Groceries
            > Vacation:Cash (nice to differentiate)
            > Vacation:Gas (car gas)
            > Vacation:Travel (Plane or train)
            > Vacation:Gifts
            > Vacation:Dining Out
            > Vacation:Clothes
            > Vacation:Tours (snorkeling, museums, rentals, or whatever activity you like)
            > Vacation:Others (the small fines, some stupidity you buy and don't really
            > care etc.....)
            >
            > Same for Leisure, as I have spendings in Books for my work and books for my
            > pleasure, Software (games) and Software (work, like Acemoney).
            > It is really useful to have a broad list.
            > I began with the AceMoney's than kept some, renamed some, added a lot then
            > reduced quite some of them DEPENDING ON THE USE.....If I use a subcategory
            > once in three years, it is obviously useless and I can put it in other more
            > meaningful category. But If I have too many "Others", it is worth to
            > analyse them (based on Payee or the comment field I use quite a lot)....
            > I do NOT differentiate clothing for instance. I only have Shoes, Manware,
            > Womenware, Sportware (that's it, the rest is generally gifts to my kids and
            > go in Gifts:Birthday or Gifts:Surprise.....(why not? It is worth knowing if
            > we are tempted to be a bit too generous (my wife) or an old grumpy
            > (myself)....(I do give books.....!!!)
            > And beware of grand children, they are a source of spending!!!!!! (bad
            > joke!)
            >
            > It is the entry of the data that will provide the first clues on the
            > subcategories you need....and then, as a second step, the analyse of your
            > monthly reports by subcategory. Analysing this one will provide a quick
            > view of overcategorization or misuse or undercategorization. After, say,
            > six months or a year, you will see clearly what is needed, misplaced or
            > superfluous.
            >
            > Do not try to make THE best system immediately, it is very disappointing
            > and you will hate AceMoney (or whatever system you could use, Quicken,
            > Money they are all based on the same principle). I have my own list that
            > took around two-three years to get to the formulation I like and find
            > really useful, specially for budgeting!!!
            >
            > If you use AceMoney in Business (as I do, the subcategories are clearer,
            > they are based on common accounting Income-Expense categories, so there is
            > not much science there. Personal Finance is a hell more complicate to
            > fine-tune
            >
            > Have fun (and be patient with yourself and AceMoney)

          • Ed S.
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 28 5:28 AM
              Hi Jay,

              Thanks for the info. There was a time when I would never use plastic. Now I use debit and credit cards for just about everything. I pre-pay a gym account for the snacks I buy after working out, so that will be tracked as one amount. I don't think I will try to account for all cash spending, unless I find a large amount in a Misc. account each month.

              I discovered that "retirement" can be a full time job. We really need to take control of money matters. When I worked I had this blind spot for money spent on "toys". Now I need to be aware of how the money is spent.

              Thanks and regards,

              Ed S.

              --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "jayleighsmith1" <jayleighsmith1@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > I also have US & UK Credit cards that I manually enter transactions to & then reconcile my totals against the bank totals each month. I'm talking about 2-4 entries per card per month so I don't bother trying to download data from the bank.
              >
              > Regards - Jay
              >
              > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Ed S." <edspyhill09@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Julie,
              > >
              > > Thank you so much. You have been immensely helpful. I had not thought about the income categories, but that is also a necessity. I should have AM set up by the end of the week. Then th ereal work begins - input all the data from Jan 01.
              > >
              > > Thanks and kind regards,
              > >
              > > Ed S.
              > >
              > > P.S. I copied your comments (and Thomas') into a file for reference.
              > >

              > > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "JuWlz" <julie.wills@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Ed
              > > >
              > > > Strangely enough, as I was casting around for info, Alvin Hall did spring to mind (although I don't think I've actually read the book - at least not in full).
              > > >
              > > > As to your question, it really depends on how much detail you a) want to get out and b) are prepared to put in. But certainly a category of subcriptions, subdivided as you describe is certainly a valid way to go. However, if you also buy magazines, software, newspapers, etc. in other ways, an equally valid approach would be to have a category of magazines (actually I make it broader than that, and use "Books and Magazines" - you could include newspapers too), and sub divide into categories of Subscriptions and Occasional (or Subscriptions, Shop, Mail order, Online if you want a greater level of detail - but I'd advise against getting TOO detailed - you'll just agonise over what the subcategories should be, and in all likelihood you won't need that much information.
              > > >
              > > > In that particular example, it really depends on whether you're more interested in WHAT you're spending your money on or HOW you're spending it. There's no right or wrong answer - do what's right for you. And remeber that nothing's irrevocable - it'll take a bit of effort, but you can change your mind later if your first attempt turns out not to work for you - in the category tab, you can change the category:subcateogry "Subscriptions:Magazines" to be "Books, Magazines and Newspapers:Subscriptions" at any time.
              > > >
              > > > NB: the conventional notation is category:subcategory (with a colon between them).
              > > >
              > > > You probably want to do something similar for your income (i.e. category income, with subcategories of the various types / sources). You might not necessarily need to separate out each individual source (the payee information will presumably do that anyway), but you could categorise as Pension, Investment income, etc. Often, less is more.

            • JuWlz
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 28 5:44 AM
                Hi Ed

                Glad you're getting it under control.

                You're right, of course. In a lot of cases, what you're spending on is very often tightly tied to who you're spending it with.

                When you get to it, you won't actually "split out" the credit card payee, as such. You'll have a separate account for your credit card(s), which will contain all the separate transactions for the things that you pay for with the card. So as you're finding with other things, it'll all just happen without you having to do anything about the payments in your current (aka checking) account.

                As to your question, no, I'm not a teacher. However, I used to do software support for a good many years for Hewlett Packard when I first graduated (many years ago!), and as part of that job I did occasionally teach technical courses to customers and write articles for internal technical newsletters.

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 28 4:30 PM
                  Hi Donna,

                  Thanks so much for that - it's opened up the world of favorite reports to
                  me! Very useful indeed!

                  --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bryce
                  Winter" <winter.bryce@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > Miscellaneous), or simply allocate it to the Home category without giving
                  it
                  > a subcategory. If you decide to separate things out more at a later date,
                  > it's not difficult to find all the spending for a particular
                  > category/subcategory, and change some of them to be in a new subcategory.
                  > Try to find a balance between detail and achievability.

                  > accounting and business practice and packages. What you really need to do
                  is
                  > think through what you'd like to know about your spending, and devise what
                  > sort of categorisation will work best for you. Everything else should fall
                  > into place from there.

                  <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                  > I have no issues with those docs. What I really need, I fear, is a good
                  > intro to accounting.

                  > beginner overview of accounting for personal use?

                • Bryce Winter
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 28 4:38 PM
                    Hi,

                    Follow-up question relating to reports: I am trying to make a report to
                    monitor my dividend income versus margin interest expenses. I can't figure
                    out how to assign categories to dividend income so that I can get it to show
                    up on the "Budget by subcategories" report. Is this possible?

                    Winter" <winter.bryce@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > Miscellaneous), or simply allocate it to the Home category without giving
                    it
                    > a subcategory. If you decide to separate things out more at a later date,
                    > it's not difficult to find all the spending for a particular
                    > category/subcategory, and change some of them to be in a new subcategory.
                    > Try to find a balance between detail and achievability.

                    > accounting and business practice and packages. What you really need to do
                    is
                    > think through what you'd like to know about your spending, and devise what
                    > sort of categorisation will work best for you. Everything else should fall
                    > into place from there.

                    <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                    > I have no issues with those docs. What I really need, I fear, is a good
                    > intro to accounting.

                    > beginner overview of accounting for personal use?

                  • Robin Moore
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 9, 2012
                      Hi Julie,

                      When you do your report for charity spending I believe you will get two
                      rows. The top row is labelled charity spending and the row below is labelled
                      "total". Try double clicking the first row (sometimes you may have to double
                      click twice).

                      This should expand your report showing all the individual transactions for
                      the category and time period you have selected.

                      Best wishes

                      Robin