Re: [acemoney] Re: Data entry & revision of categories-best way to proceed?

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 20 5:05 AM
      Julie,

      I tried creating an import rule after changing an imported transaction
      again, and it still doesn't work the way I would expect based on your
      statement. The text to match on gets set to the new payee value, not the
      original payee value from the import, meaning it won't have any effect.
      This screenshot shows an example:

      http://i.imgur.com/NdAQ3.png

      The first dialog box is the transaction as it was imported from the bank,
      the second is the edited transaction, and the third is the import rule that
      was created from the edited transaction. I got the impression from your
      statement that, even after changing a transaction, creating an import rule
      from it would set the matching text to the original imported payee value,
      but it clearly doesn't (at least for me). Perhaps I misunderstood your
      statement.

      Thanks,
      Kevin

      On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, JuWlz <julie.wills@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > It DOES work that way to create a new import rule. However, creating a new
      > import rule won't remove an old one, so it may be that the old rule was
      > taking precedence over the new one.
      >
      > Julie
      >

      > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Kevin <kzibart@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > For some reason, I thought I could change the transaction first
      > > and then click "create import rule" and AceMoney would know what I
      > changed
      > > to make a rule to do that in the future.

    • JuWlz
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 20 10:08 AM
        Your import rule is looking for Sprint Wireless, but the transaction downloaded from the bank is SPRINT *WIRELESS.

        So your import rule needs to look for SPRINT *WIRELESS, change the payee to Sprint Wireless, and apply the category / subcategory that you want.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 20 10:32 AM
          I agree, that import rule is 100% useless and I've since changed it, but
          that's the import rule AceMoney created. That's why I said before that
          creating import rules based on transactions you've already changed doesn't
          work. However, you replied saying it does work, so that's why I tried it
          again this morning and documented what happened. I'm guessing either I'm
          missing something obvious, or we just had a misunderstanding a few days ago.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 20 10:40 AM
            AceMoney doesn't remember the original payee, so the only thing it could base the rule on was the payee in the transaction, but that no longer reflected the payee as imported.

            When you right click on a transaction and create a rule from it, AceMoney takes the payee in your transaction, and creates a rule to add the category and subcategory for the transaction.

            If you had created the rule before changing the payee, you would have been able to add to the rule that you also wanted to change the payee.

            I apologise if my reply made you think that it would work after you'd changed the payee. All it can do is pick up the category and subcategory and use that information to pre-populate the import rule form.

          • aussie59au
            Message 5 of 14 , May 28, 2012
              Some good guidance here, Julie. Thanks. Gradually and grindingly getting through this detail.

              Today, managed to overhaul or clean up 95%-98% of this. One last issue remains.

              I have successfully removed/deleted most of the now unnecessary categories, develop new sub-categories, and 'move' the data. Yet for some strange reason,there is one that seems to refuse to be deleted. I have it as this:

              Loan5
              Loan5
              Loan5:comp

              Attempts to delete any of these is met with a dialogue concerning the inability to remove it because of something to do with the parent category.

              It has me scratching my head...

              Any suggestions?

              Thanks.

              Elius

              --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "JuWlz" <julie.wills@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Firstly, I don't recommend exporting and deleting. That approach is the path most likely to give you errors. It's much better to keep the data within AceMoney and fix it there.
              >
              > If the categories that are unused are also unwanted, it's easy to delete them. Just go to the categories section and click on delete unused categories.
              >
              > Then, select each of your loan categories in turn and change it to something more meaningful. e.g. if you want to be able to produce a report for all your loans, then if Loan1 is for your car, use the Edit Category name to change it to Name (i.e. Category) Loan and Subname (Subcategory) Car. If you're more likely to want to report on your car expenses together you might want to make the loan a subcategory of your car expenses, i.e. Category Car, subcategory Loan. Only you can decide what category and subcategory names and organisation is going to work best for you. The good news is that (with the exception of import rules, which still have to be updated separately), it's easy to rename and reorganise your categories from the categories screen.
              >
              > So, once you have meaningful names and structure for your categories and subcategories, you're ready to fix the transactions with the wrong categories.
              >
              > I would list all your transactions and sort by whatever field is going to make it easiest to sort things out (depending on your data, that might be payee, category or amount). You can then inspect the transactions and select multiple transactions to change their category and subcategory (select the first, shift select the last, in normal windows fashion or ctrl click to select multiple non-adjacent transactions), and then right click and type the required new category / subcategory for all the selected transactions.
              >
              > If you already have the category / subcategory, AceMoney will autocomplete each for you.
              >
              > Julie
              >
              > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "aussie59au" <lev_e@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My loan(s) category is in need of overhauling, having suffered misguided organic additions. My review indicates that the problems are: incorrect numbering, categories/subcategories without data, accidental merging with other (possible) unrelated loan data. Its contents is like this:
              > >
              > > Loan
              > > Loan1
              > > Loan2
              > > Loan3
              > > Loan4
              > > Loan5
              > > Loan5
              > > Loan5:comp
              > >
              > > I am thinking two things:
              > >
              > > i) treat this category overhaul in the same manner as before:

              > > Safely creating a subcategory -
              > >
              > > Or
              > >
              > > ii) that this category is too far gone, and simply export all data as separate csv documents for reference details, and delete this whole category, and begin again with the full details.

            • JuWlz
              Message 6 of 14 , May 28, 2012
                It's difficult to guess what the problem might be without knowing what the actual error message says.
                However, since you appear to have 2 categories that appear to have the same name, I'm guessing there's some sort of corruption or invisible character that's causing the problem.

                Do you still have any transactions using those categories, and if so, can you change them to have a meaningful one?

> [...]

                > > > Loan
                > > > Loan1
                > > > Loan2
                > > > Loan3
                > > > Loan4
                > > > Loan5
                > > > Loan5
                > > > Loan5:comp
                > > >
                > > > I am thinking two things:
                > > >
                > > > i) treat this category overhaul in the same manner as before:

                > > > Safely creating a subcategory -
                > > >
                > > > Or
                > > >
                > > > ii) that this category is too far gone, and simply export all data as separate csv documents for reference details, and delete this whole category, and begin again with the full details.

              • nick.clarke37
                Message 7 of 14 , May 28, 2012
                  You will need to check Scheduled transactions for these categories too.
                  Nick.

                  > Do you still have any transactions using those categories, and if so, can you change them to have a meaningful one?
                  >
                  > Julie

                • aussie59au
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 30, 2012
                    The dialog message was: "This is a parent category for one or more other categories. If you want to delete it, you should delete its subcategories first"

                    Tried again today, & proceeded through each of them one-by-one. Got this message for the first two, then managed to delete the third, then after, was able to successfully delete the other two. So, my other idea for solution was proven wrong.

                    A simple, satisfactory conclusion!!