Re: Same deposit recorded in dual accounts�but effect balance in only 1 account?

  • rjwerning
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18 10:23 AM
      For what it's worth, I use 1 data file to track everything. Originally I had them in 3 separate files (personal, business, investments) but found it cumbersome and didn't like not being able to transfer funds from 1 account to another.

      I have the following Groups of Accounts set up (yes, I know logically some of them overlap, could be merged or renamed - for my purpose this is what I prefer). Under each group is a sample of the accounts that I have assigned to it.

      Bank Accounts
      - Personal Checking
      - Personal Savings

      Cash Accounts
      - Cash

      Credit Accounts
      - Chase card
      - Assoc Card
      - Frontier Card

      Health Savings
      - HSA Checking

      Investments Accounts
      - Somecompanies IRA
      - Etrade IRA
      - Scottrade Brokerage

      Business Accounts
      - Business Checking
      - Business Visa

      I don't understand having the same money recorded in 2 different accounts, yet wanting them to only be accounted for in 1. How I handle my situation is that any business income is deposited in my Business Checking, then when I actually move the money into Personal Checking at the bank, I do a transfer in Ace from Business to Personal. This gives me the audit trail I need of where the money went, without my balances being out of whack.

      - Rich

      --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "JuWlz" <julie.wills@...> wrote:

      > My biggest difficulty is that I don't understand the real world setup of the "hierarchical" accounts that you're trying to track, so it's difficult to suggest a matching solution in AM.
      >
      > As a separate issue, if I was accounting for business and personal use (or keeping accounts for other separate entities) I'd keep them in completely separate data files - one for my personal accounts, and another for the business accounts.
      >
      > Julie
    • myway22883
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2012
        Hi Rich,

        I see you list an Etrade account as one of your accounts. Are you able to get automatic downloads from your Etrade account? I have never gotten mine to work.

        Thanks,
        Adam