Different totals in account register and on accounts page

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2012
      I have an account that has a balance of $42.52 showing in the account register. On the accounts page, however, the total shown is $142.52. Any idea why that would be?

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "A writer is a person for whom writing
      is more difficult than it is for other people."

      - Thomas Mann

    • Max Wanadoo
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2012
        Right click on the Account -> select Properties and see if there is an
        opening balance in there.

        Max

        eeweir@... <mailto:eeweir%40bellsouth.net>

        "A writer is a person for whom writing
        is more difficult than it is for other people."

        - Thomas Mann

      • Remy
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1 7:48 AM
          --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Max Wanadoo" <max.wanadoo@...> wrote:

          > Right click on the Account -> select Properties and see if there is an
          > opening balance in there.

          Both screens take that value into account when calculating totals.
        • Remy
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1 7:53 AM
            --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

            > I have an account that has a balance of $42.52 showing in the account register. On the accounts page, however, the total shown is $142.52. Any idea why that would be?

            Do you have the Hide Reconciled checkbox selected in the Transactions screen? If so, and if not every transaction is Reconciled, you could be looking at the Reconciled total and not the Account total.
          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1 8:31 AM
              On Apr 1, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Remy wrote:

              > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Max Wanadoo" <max.wanadoo@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Right click on the Account -> select Properties and see if there is an
              > > opening balance in there.
              >
              > Both screens take that value into account when calculating totals.

              I have always assumed that the balance on the accounts screen is the balance in the transactions register. It seems to be in all my other accounts. The opening balance should make no difference. Shouldn't it?

              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA
              eeweir@...

              "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone,
              men would die from a great loneliness of spirit."

              - Chief Seattle

            • Eric Weir
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1 8:32 AM
                On Apr 1, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Remy wrote:

                > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > I have an account that has a balance of $42.52 showing in the account register. On the accounts page, however, the total shown is $142.52. Any idea why that would be?
                >
                > Do you have the Hide Reconciled checkbox selected in the Transactions screen? If so, and if not every transaction is Reconciled, you could be looking at the Reconciled total and not the Account total.

                Thanks, Remy. Nope. Not checked.

                Eric Weir
                eeweir@...

                "The invincible shield of caring
                Is a weapon sent from the sky
                against being dead."

                - Tao Te Ching 67

              • Remy
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2 8:27 PM
                  --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

                  > I have always assumed that the balance on the accounts screen is the balance in the transactions register. It seems to be in all my other accounts. The opening balance should make no difference. Shouldn't it?

                  The Accounts screen shows what each account is worth total: Initial Balance + Transactions total + Investments total (if this total is enabled in the Settings).
                • Remy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2 8:36 PM
                    --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, Remy. Nope. Not checked.

                    Then the Register shows every transaction in the account. The balance shown is the total balance of the account and its transactions. That includes the initial balance of the account.

                    The Accounts screen does the same thing. The only thing it does differently is it also adds the value of associated Investments to the account, but only if that option is enabled in the Settings.
                  • nick.clarke37
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 11:59 AM
                      Eric - be aware that Reports handle this differently: even if you specify a date at or before the first transaction the Opening Balance is NOT included.

                      Nick.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4 8:55 AM
                        On Apr 3, 2012, at 2:59 PM, nick.clarke37 wrote:

                        > Eric - be aware that Reports handle this differently: even if you specify a date at or before the first transaction the Opening Balance is NOT included.

                        Thanks, Nick. I believe all the reports I do span several accounts, and usually all. Usually a subset of categories and subcategories. And always totals within a range of transactions, not account totals. So that is what I'd want. I think. [I'm a *very* amateur accountant.]

                        Eric Weir
                        Decatur, GA USA
                        eeweir@...

                        "The most important thing is the tee-shirt."

                        Samara Alnafdage

                      • Eric Weir
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4 9:01 AM
                          On Apr 2, 2012, at 11:27 PM, Remy wrote:

                          > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have always assumed that the balance on the accounts screen is the balance in the transactions register. It seems to be in all my other accounts. The opening balance should make no difference. Shouldn't it?
                          >
                          > The Accounts screen shows what each account is worth total: Initial Balance + Transactions total + Investments total (if this total is enabled in the Settings).

                          Thanks, Remy. Where do I find "Settings"?

                          Eric Weir
                          eeweir@...

                          "The invincible shield of caring
                          Is a weapon sent from the sky
                          against being dead."

                          - Tao Te Ching 67

                        • David Polister
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4 10:47 AM
                            On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > On Apr 2, 2012, at 11:27 PM, Remy wrote:
                            >
                            > > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I have always assumed that the balance on the accounts screen is the
                            > balance in the transactions register. It seems to be in all my other
                            > accounts. The opening balance should make no difference. Shouldn't it?
                            > >
                            > > The Accounts screen shows what each account is worth total: Initial
                            > Balance + Transactions total + Investments total (if this total is enabled
                            > in the Settings).
                            >
                            > Thanks, Remy. Where do I find "Settings"?

                            I think he means... Tools / Options. That is where the check box is on the
                            right side to include "Add value to of Investment to Account Balance" is
                            at. (3rd one down in check box area, right hand side)

                            > Eric Weir
                            > eeweir@...
                            >
                            > "The invincible shield of caring
                            > Is a weapon sent from the sky
                            > against being dead."
                            >
                            > - Tao Te Ching 67

                            David N. Polister

                          • Remy
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 4 6:19 PM
                              --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, David Polister <dave.polister@...> wrote:

                              > I think he means... Tools / Options. That is where the check box is on the
                              > right side to include "Add value to of Investment to Account Balance" is
                              > at. (3rd one down in check box area, right hand side)

                              Yes, that is the one.
                            • Eric Weir
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 5 10:59 AM
                                On Apr 4, 2012, at 1:47 PM, David Polister wrote:

                                > On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

                                > > balance in the transactions register. It seems to be in all my other
                                > > accounts. The opening balance should make no difference. Shouldn't it?
                                > > >
                                > > > The Accounts screen shows what each account is worth total: Initial
                                > > Balance + Transactions total + Investments total (if this total is enabled
                                > > in the Settings).
                                > >
                                > > Thanks, Remy. Where do I find "Settings"?
                                > >

                                > I think he means... Tools / Options. That is where the check box is on the
                                > right side to include "Add value to of Investment to Account Balance" is
                                > at. (3rd one down in check box area, right hand side)

                                Thanks, David. I unchecked it and I still have the discrepancy. I don't think this should be.

                                Eric Weir
                                eeweir@...

                                "Human coexistence and social life constitute the good common to us all
                                from which and thanks to which all cultural and social goods derive."

                                - Zygmunt Bauman

                              • Superspike
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 7 10:15 AM
                                  I'm having the same issue. Only one account out of seven.

                                  --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

                                  > On Apr 4, 2012, at 1:47 PM, David Polister wrote:

                                  > > > balance in the transactions register. It seems to be in all my other
                                  > > > accounts. The opening balance should make no difference. Shouldn't it?

                                  > > > Balance + Transactions total + Investments total (if this total is enabled
                                  > > > in the Settings).
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks, Remy. Where do I find "Settings"?
                                  > > >

                                  > > I think he means... Tools / Options. That is where the check box is on the
                                  > > right side to include "Add value to of Investment to Account Balance" is
                                  > > at. (3rd one down in check box area, right hand side)
                                  >
                                  > Thanks, David. I unchecked it and I still have the discrepancy. I don't think this should be.

                                  > Eric Weir
                                  > eeweir@...
                                  >
                                  > "Human coexistence and social life constitute the good common to us all
                                  > from which and thanks to which all cultural and social goods derive."
                                  >
                                  > - Zygmunt Bauman

                                • gambit47
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 7 11:27 PM
                                    --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Superspike" <allembr@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm having the same issue. Only one account out of seven.

                                    I would suggest submitting a copy of the MMW/AMJ file to MechCAD support along with some screenshots showing the discrepancy, and see what they say about it.
                                  • djpumm
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 8 1:40 AM
                                      No you miss understand me I think I may have altered a reconciled entry by mistake but I can't trace it so is there any way I can bring up a list of x number of the last entries that I have made

                                      --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "gambit47" <gambit47@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "Superspike" <allembr@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm having the same issue. Only one account out of seven.
                                      >
                                      > I would suggest submitting a copy of the MMW/AMJ file to MechCAD support along with some screenshots showing the discrepancy, and see what they say about it.

                                    • Gord McFee
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 8 6:09 AM
                                        Have you tried closing and reopening the program? That has often worked
                                        for me.

                                        On 4/08/12 2:27 AM, gambit47 wrote:

                                        > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                        > "Superspike" <allembr@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> I'm having the same issue. Only one account out of seven.
                                        >
                                        > I would suggest submitting a copy of the MMW/AMJ file to MechCAD support
                                        > along with some screenshots showing the discrepancy, and see what they
                                        > say about it.

                                      • Gord McFee
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 8 6:10 AM
                                          Edit -> Find, and select the account and date.

                                          On 4/08/12 4:40 AM, djpumm wrote:

                                          > No you miss understand me I think I may have altered a reconciled entry
                                          > by mistake but I can't trace it so is there any way I can bring up a
                                          > list of x number of the last entries that I have made
                                          >
                                          > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                          > "gambit47" <gambit47@...> wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >> --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                          > "Superspike" <allembr@> wrote:
                                          >> >
                                          >> > I'm having the same issue. Only one account out of seven.
                                          >>
                                          >> I would suggest submitting a copy of the MMW/AMJ file to MechCAD
                                          > support along with some screenshots showing the discrepancy, and see
                                          > what they say about it.

                                        • nick.clarke37
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 8 6:19 AM
                                            I am not aware of any such capability.

                                            On the rare occasions I have issues with the data, I have referred to an older file. Sadly there isn't a 'side by side' capability. BTW - it has always been my issue.

                                            Nick.