Re: QIF exported by QUICKEN not including Transactions

  • ravine73@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
      Thanks Julie.

      You are correct that one account at a time can be exported and imported in a QIF file. However, the AceMoney instructions advise that all accounts can be exported and imported in a file specifically named <all accounts.QIF>. A support person at support.mechcad.net confirmed this, saying that a QIF file containing more than one account needs to be named <all accounts.QIF>. That should include the transactions as well as the accounts.

      One at a time would probably work, but with about 50 accounts to be handled that would be time and labor intensive. So I'm still hoping for a solution to the problem there is in QUICKEN, or a workaround.

      Thanks again.

      --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "JuWlz" <julie.wills@...> wrote:

      > I may be wrong, but I thought with QIF you have to export and import one account at a time.
      >
      > Make sure you have the option switched on to detect duplicates when importing.
      >
      > Julie
      >
      > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "ravine73@" <ravine73@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am trying to export Transactions and Accounts from a QUICKEN 8 file to
      > > <all accounts.QIF>. Transactions and Accounts are both ticked. The full date range is displayed. Only Accounts and Accounts transfers are exported, but no transactions (except a very few interest transactions). Any clue what else needs be done? Failing that, a workaround for importing all the transactions into AceMoney without using a QIF file?
      > >
      > > (I have submitted a ticket on this to support.mechcad.net but they haven't been able to resolve it as of now.)
      > >
      > > Thanks for any help. Otherwise I will have to give up on AceMoney which has looked very promising. Regards ravine73

    • Petr Hrasky
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
        *I am trying to export Transactions and Accounts from a QUICKEN 8 file
        to <all accounts.QIF>. Transactions and Accounts are both ticked. The full
        date range is displayed. Only Accounts and Accounts transfers are exported,
        but no transactions (except a very few interest transactions). Any clue
        what else needs be done? Failing that, a workaround for importing all the
        transactions into AceMoney without using a QIF file? *

        Reading this it seems to me that the problem is with the export from
        Quicken. (?)

        Petr

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
          Thanks Petr. Yes it really has to be a QUICKEN problem. I was hoping somebody 'out there' may have solved it or come up with a AceMoney import workaround. Regards ravine73

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
            Thanks David.

            Yes I do have what I think are a lot of accounts - about 50 - which would be time and labor intensive to export and import one at a time. The AceMoney instructions and a support.mechcad.net support person are both specific that all accounts and transactions will be exported as an option to an <all accounts.QIF> file, if 'All Accounts' and 'Transactions' are ticked on the Export screen in QUICKEN.

            The versions of QUICKEN you have referred to appear to be later than mine. What I have here in Australia is branded here as Quicken Cashbook 8, and I was a bit startled to find it was released (or I originally installed it) in July 2000!

            My hope in putting the problem 'out there' was that somebody else may encountered it and solved it, or that somebody knew a workaround for importing a file of transactions into AceMoney without using a QIF file.

            Regards ravine73

            Reading

            --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, David Polister <dave.polister@...> wrote:

            > I'm not sure which version in Quicken it changed. But prior to the change
            > it was one account at a time. Then after the change, you could do them all,
            > which was a bit faster depending on the number of accounts.
            >
            > Ravine73: Do you have a lot of accounts? In the 2008 version, does it
            > actually show an all account & transactions option? I just switch from QFW
            > 2011 and I imported with very few problems and issues.
            >
            > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:49 AM, JuWlz <julie.wills@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I may be wrong, but I thought with QIF you have to export and import one
            > > account at a time.
            > >
            > > Make sure you have the option switched on to detect duplicates when
            > > importing.
            > >
            > > Julie
            > >

            > > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, "ravine73@" <ravine73@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am trying to export Transactions and Accounts from a QUICKEN 8 file to
            > > > <all accounts.QIF>. Transactions and Accounts are both ticked. The full
            > > date range is displayed. Only Accounts and Accounts transfers are exported,
            > > but no transactions (except a very few interest transactions). Any clue
            > > what else needs be done? Failing that, a workaround for importing all the
            > > transactions into AceMoney without using a QIF file?
            > > >
            > > > (I have submitted a ticket on this to support.mechcad.net but they
            > > haven't been able to resolve it as of now.)
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for any help. Otherwise I will have to give up on AceMoney which
            > > has looked very promising. Regards ravine73
            > > >

            > --
            > David N. Polister

          • Max Wanadoo
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
              Julie (or anybody).

              Would you know what the headings are to Import a csv spreadsheet?

              I have tried the headings of:

              'Account','Num','Date',Payee','Category','S' (for status),
              'Withdrawl','Deposit','Total','Comment'

              It just won't go directly into the designated account but still prompts me
              for the Account to import to. Import then works ok.

              Thanks

              Max

              --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "JuWlz" <julie.wills@...> wrote:

              > I may be wrong, but I thought with QIF you have to export and import one
              account at a time.

              > Make sure you have the option switched on to detect duplicates when
              importing.

              > Julie
              >
              > --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "ravine73@" <ravine73@> wrote:

              > > I am trying to export Transactions and Accounts from a QUICKEN 8 file to
              > > <all accounts.QIF>. Transactions and Accounts are both ticked. The full
              date range is displayed. Only Accounts and Accounts transfers are exported,
              but no transactions (except a very few interest transactions). Any clue what
              else needs be done? Failing that, a workaround for importing all the
              transactions into AceMoney without using a QIF file?

              > > (I have submitted a ticket on this to support.mechcad.net but they
              haven't been able to resolve it as of now.)

              > > Thanks for any help. Otherwise I will have to give up on AceMoney which
              has looked very promising. Regards ravine73

            • JuWlz
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
                Max

                I don't think you actually need headers at all. You just need the columns to be in the correct order.

                See the FAQ: http://www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/faq.shtml#import3

                Julie

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
                  Thanks Julie,

                  No column for the Account Name then..it works fine once you tell it which
                  account to import to, but I was hoping to put multiple accounts into the one
                  csv file and import them as a job-lot.

                  Oh well, thanks anyway.

                  --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com <mailto:acemoney%40yahoogroups.com> , "Max

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
                    QIF files are plain text. You can open them up with a text editor and see whether Quicken has, in fact, exported the information in the first place.

                    Julie

                    --- In acemoney@yahoogroups.com, Petr Hrasky <hrasky+acemoney@...> wrote:

                    > Reading this it seems to me that the problem is with the export from
                    > Quicken. (?)
                    >
                    > Petr
                  • Frank Hahn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 16, 2012
                      I converted from Quicken to AceMoney last December. I had been using Quicken 8 for DOS not Windows. I had to convert my data in a couple of steps first. There is some information on the Quicken web site about this data conversion to get older versions brought up to date. Try this link first:

                      http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/using-an-intermediate-version-to-convert-older-versions-of-quicken/GEN82211.html

                      Like I say, I was using Quicken 8 for DOS. I had to use one of the programs listed first to get the data to one format. For the life of, I can't remember which version I used. The second conversion was to the Quicken 2004 version for Windows. Once converted to this version, I was then able to export. One of the options is All accounts.

                      Once this was done, I imported into AceMoney. To import all accounts, AceMoney will only do it if the file name is spelled correctly.

                      I did this all on a virtual machine so I would not mess up my main system.

                      In the initial email, it lists Quicken 8 but is this a Windows or DOS version?

                      --

                      Frank Hahn