Re: Sniper Coil

  • bigcatdaddy49
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      They are 4 1/2" coils and you are right about the general rule of
      thumb for the Garretts. I have dug a quarter at 6" before with one,
      but about 4" is the norm. You can bump the Sens. up a little with the
      Sniper if you get a faint signal that you think might be a goodie. I
      pretty much hunt trashy areas, so mine stays on most of the time.

      --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "ace250guy" <milairnut@y...> wrote:

      > I read that as a very general guideline, a coil will detect as deep
      as
      > it is round. Example, a 9" coil can detect some object to about 9"
      > depth. the new 12" coil for the 250 advertises 30% deeper
      finds...and
      > it just so happens to be 30% larger. So Bigcatdaddy, what is the
      > width on a sniper coil? Again, it is a general rule of thumb.
      >
      > I hope that helps...
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Ken
      >
      > --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "sixtydegreesnorth"
      > <sixtydegreesnorth@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The Sniper coil gets less depth than the stock coil, I know, but
      how
      > > much less? Can it reach down 6 inches; anyone hazard an estimate?
      > > found a clad-filled area that's filled with trash, too, that I
      want
      > > mine.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Steve

    • bigcatdaddy49
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        You will find that the majority of coins and goodies are in the 2 to 4"
        range. The Sniper in a heavily infested trash area is the only way to
        go, for sure. Great target seperation and real easy to pinpoint with,
        directly under the "X" in the middle. When I hunt such a site, I start
        off in the Coins mode and cherry pick the easy stuff. When I see that
        I'm not getting very many targets, I switch to the Jewelry mode and hit
        it again. Gets real noisy, but a few more goodies will appear. Let us
        know how you make out if you decide to get one.

        <sixtydegreesnorth@y...> wrote:

        > The Sniper coil gets less depth than the stock coil, I know, but how
        > much less? Can it reach down 6 inches; anyone hazard an estimate? I
        > found a clad-filled area that's filled with trash, too, that I want
        > mine.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Steve

      • sixtydegreesnorth
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
          Thanks for the feedback, Ken and BCD. I'm hunting the area around the
          concession stand at a ball diamond in an old village park. The ground,
          above and below the surface is peppered with pull tabs. Those on the
          surface I can brush away, but those below I just have to work around.

          Regards,
          Steve