Re: Sniper Coil

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
      I read that as a very general guideline, a coil will detect as deep as
      it is round. Example, a 9" coil can detect some object to about 9"
      depth. the new 12" coil for the 250 advertises 30% deeper finds...and
      it just so happens to be 30% larger. So Bigcatdaddy, what is the
      width on a sniper coil? Again, it is a general rule of thumb.

      I hope that helps...

      Best regards,
      Ken

      --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "sixtydegreesnorth"
      <sixtydegreesnorth@y...> wrote:

      > The Sniper coil gets less depth than the stock coil, I know, but how
      > much less? Can it reach down 6 inches; anyone hazard an estimate? I
      > found a clad-filled area that's filled with trash, too, that I want
      > mine.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Steve

    • bigcatdaddy49
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        They are 4 1/2" coils and you are right about the general rule of
        thumb for the Garretts. I have dug a quarter at 6" before with one,
        but about 4" is the norm. You can bump the Sens. up a little with the
        Sniper if you get a faint signal that you think might be a goodie. I
        pretty much hunt trashy areas, so mine stays on most of the time.

        --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "ace250guy" <milairnut@y...> wrote:

        > I read that as a very general guideline, a coil will detect as deep
        as
        > it is round. Example, a 9" coil can detect some object to about 9"
        > depth. the new 12" coil for the 250 advertises 30% deeper
        finds...and
        > it just so happens to be 30% larger. So Bigcatdaddy, what is the
        > width on a sniper coil? Again, it is a general rule of thumb.
        >
        > I hope that helps...
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Ken
        >
        > --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "sixtydegreesnorth"
        > <sixtydegreesnorth@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > The Sniper coil gets less depth than the stock coil, I know, but
        how
        > > much less? Can it reach down 6 inches; anyone hazard an estimate?
        > > found a clad-filled area that's filled with trash, too, that I
        want
        > > mine.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Steve

      • bigcatdaddy49
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
          You will find that the majority of coins and goodies are in the 2 to 4"
          range. The Sniper in a heavily infested trash area is the only way to
          go, for sure. Great target seperation and real easy to pinpoint with,
          directly under the "X" in the middle. When I hunt such a site, I start
          off in the Coins mode and cherry pick the easy stuff. When I see that
          I'm not getting very many targets, I switch to the Jewelry mode and hit
          it again. Gets real noisy, but a few more goodies will appear. Let us
          know how you make out if you decide to get one.

          <sixtydegreesnorth@y...> wrote:

          > The Sniper coil gets less depth than the stock coil, I know, but how
          > much less? Can it reach down 6 inches; anyone hazard an estimate? I
          > found a clad-filled area that's filled with trash, too, that I want
          > mine.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Steve

        • sixtydegreesnorth
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
            Thanks for the feedback, Ken and BCD. I'm hunting the area around the
            concession stand at a ball diamond in an old village park. The ground,
            above and below the surface is peppered with pull tabs. Those on the
            surface I can brush away, but those below I just have to work around.

            Regards,
            Steve