Found this but I don't know what it is!

  • marnact
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2011
      I have a friend who's cleaning out and selling her mom's 300+ year-old house. She gave me permission to hunt there which I've done only once so far. We had a lot of rain last night so it's really gunchy today.

      I've put a photo album up, "300-year-old house" for pictures of finds. While I'm surprised at the lack of finds so far, I found this on my first trip. Pictures aren't great as I don't have a good camera, but I think it might be an old ice pick. There seems to be something engraved on the side, but I haven't cleaned it up yet to see.

      Thought y'all might have some thoughts on what it is. I'll post things as I find them.

      Happy hunting.

      Marna (central CT)
    • calvin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2011
        --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "marnact" <marnag@...> wrote:

        > I have a friend who's cleaning out and selling her mom's 300+ year-old house. She gave me permission to hunt there which I've done only once so far. We had a lot of rain last night so it's really gunchy today.
        >
        > I've put a photo album up, "300-year-old house" for pictures of finds. While I'm surprised at the lack of finds so far, I found this on my first trip. Pictures aren't great as I don't have a good camera, but I think it might be an old ice pick. There seems to be something engraved on the side, but I haven't cleaned it up yet to see.
        >
        > Thought y'all might have some thoughts on what it is. I'll post things as I find them.
        >
        > Happy hunting.
        >
        > Marna (central CT)

        It's a soldering iron the big end is solid copper, heated with a torch. moose
      • marnact
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2011
          That certainly wasn't on my list of possibilities? Do you think the pointy end had a wooden handle on it at one point? Thanks for the info!

          Marna

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
            Wow, what an opportunity to hunt there Marna! Please update us with your stories and pictures please!!

            Sorry for not seeing your post sooner. We had our oldest daughter get married in March, and our middle daughter's wedding is in three weeks...so I've been a little scatter brained (and writing way too many checks:) )

            Best regards,
            Ken