Cleaning last summers finds and...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2011
      Here is the story for the new picture. I had this rusty item that I found at a local park. It was in a clean grassy area, but probably almost 8" deep. I thought it might just be some old iron sludge from a local automotive plant, so threw it in my junk box. The weight of it though (heavy for its size)had me set it aside. Well tonite, I tapped it and broke the rusty crust off, to reveal pits and noted that it is quite black (burned looking?) on the exterior...I brought a magnet to it, and it stuck. I tried the scrape test on unglazed ceramic and it did not streak (all tests for meteorites) ...so I guess the next step is one of the local geology departments at a local college to see it they can test it to see if it is a meteorite.

      Chrismiqua was also up detecting with me this past summer, and also has a similar find...same size, color etc...that she found possibly in the same area...or within a mile or two of each other.

      So the moral of this story...if you think it's junk...still remember where you found it...so if it turns out to be something of value...you can go back and search for more! :)

      Has anyone ever found a confirmed meteorite??

      Ken
    • ShawnE
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2011
        Wow...how exciting, Ken! What a great reminder to us all to keep what we think of as junk at first and really do some research before tossing.
        No...I have never found a meteorite...not that I know of anyway...your story will make me take a closer look from now on.
        There is a Geologist group in the city just above me and great rock shop a trains ride ride away in IL if I ever do think I have one. Have been wanting to take a huge chunk of a rock that I think might be Rose Quartz to them to see what they think.
        Let us know what you find out...can't wait to hear.