Re: Update on the Nat Geo kids metal detector

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2008
      That's neat. I bought one of those for a friends' child, but after
      he dug a hole and found a worm...let's just say he retired from the
      profession at the ripe old age of 4. You should institute the game
      of digging...save your knees. HH Chris

      --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Elaine" <shawnemck@...> wrote:

      > Just thought I would let you know, Ken, that after I did get another
      > one at Target...and it was about $15...my dad did get the original
      one
      > working like it was supposed to.
      > I buried a few coins and a humongous bolt in a huge sand pit the
      kids
      > play in, in the back yard (and where last year I recovered a ton of
      my
      > nephews buried matchbox cars with my Ace250).
      > I gave my nephew a few pointers and sent him off on his first
      > dectecting adventure...sure enough, he found the bolt right away,
      and
      > eventually most of the coins. Along with, again, a buried matchbox
      car
      > and a buried little truck. We were still missing one of the pennies
      so
      > I got my detector out and found it...along with a quarter that I had
      > not buried and you could tell it had been hiding there a while.
      > I realized that the detector can find things about 1-2" down. Any
      > deeper and it just doesn't beep.
      > We went around a picnic table with it and found a bolt head and the
      > metal part off a clothes pin...you would have thought he struck
      gold!
      > Just the cutest thing! Found several washers, large and small, that
      > were buried by their swing set (it is one of those large wooden
      swing
      > sets so we know where they came from).
      > I was really amazed...we had to dig the washers and other metal
      > findings out of about 1" and 2" of clay... I had to do most of the
      > digging!
      > I am keeping the other detector for one of my twin nieces...and will
      > have to get another for the other twin as everyone wanted to use it
      at
      > once-you know how kids are!
      > ~Shawn Elaine~

    • Shawn Elaine
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
        Chris, it's a good thing my nephew and his sisters love worms! and all
        kinds of bugs, critters...right now they are in charge of a baby grass
        snake so not much scares them except spiders.
        He just showed me his findings so far today (he's been out there
        everyday since)...most of it added bolts (one is like 6" long),
        washers, wire, ect. but he also found his first coin on his own near
        the swingset...a Canadian penny! Yey! Maybe I will finally have a MD
        partner! He is now doing the digging on his own...and he assures me he
        is refilling the holes. His dad said the lawn needs aerating anyways.
        I gave him a little carpenters belt that I got with my MD, had him put
        in some bags and a rag in it for his finds. He thought that was the
        greatest! So cute I just had to take his pic with his new "outfit",
        the detector and the huge bolt he found.
        ~Shawn Elaine~