Re: Na Geo kids metal detector

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2008
      Shawn, it's nice to see you wanting to get your nephew interested in
      the hobby. I read the reviews on the NG detector after reading your
      article. It looks like some people have found it as low as $15, and
      for shallow depths it got soome pretty good reviews!

      The 250 I believe is the lightest machine I know of out in the
      market, other than possibly some of these children's versions.

      My 2 cents worth (sorry clad 2 cents worth ;) ) if you were wanting
      to try again, would be to look for another one of the NG machines, if
      indeed the other is broken. It is light, it finds metal, and shhould
      hopefully last long enough for him to determine if he would like to
      pursuit the hobby further. My main reasoning is $15 compared to
      about $100 for the next step up machine. Anyone else want to throw
      your 2 cents of clad into the discussion???

      Best regards,
      Ken

      --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Elaine" <shawnemck@...> wrote:

      > Hi All...has anyone ever bought a National Geographic kids metal
      > detector? Well, I learned my lesson when I got one for my 9yr. old
      > nephews birthday recently. I figured it would give him a start
      without
      > the expense to see if he liked it...he keeps wanting to use my Ace
      but
      > after a few attempts, and a few dreaded clunks, and it being too
      heavy
      > for him, I would give this one a try, as it's National Geographic
      > afterall! Various reviews on Amazon were taken into consideration,
      tho
      > I got it on Ebay, brand new, supposedly, and it looked it.
      > Anyhoos, I should have supervised but he was soooooo excited about
      it
      > that a cousin at his chaotic birthday party "helped" him set it up
      > without my help.
      > When he brought it to me later that day, it was not working.
      > The sensitivity light(yes, this little thing does have a sensitivity
      > setting...sort of!) and the "on" light stay on together so you can
      not
      > set it...it just keeps beeping! Argh! He did tell me that when he
      > first had it on it did not continuously beep. He is rough on
      > EVERYTHING so it shouldn't have been a surprise at it's sudden
      demise.
      > Oh, well, as I said, lesson learned! But will see if my fixer upper
      of
      > anything electric dad can take a look at it.
      > Any suggestions for a child size detector? Not too expensive? I have
      > seen Bounty Hunter ones for kids. Any comments on those? Thanks,
      Shawn

    • Shawn Elaine
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2008
        Thanks, Ken, for clad cents worth!
        I think I paid about about $19 for the one I got on Ebay.
        I will check out Target (where I think the $15 one came from) and if
        not now, they may have it in for the Christmas season. I really wanted
        to try the little thing myself, too.
        Am passing it on to my dad tom. Lets hope!
        Shawn Elaine