Na Geo kids metal detector

  • Shawn Elaine
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2008
      Hi All...has anyone ever bought a National Geographic kids metal
      detector? Well, I learned my lesson when I got one for my 9yr. old
      nephews birthday recently. I figured it would give him a start without
      the expense to see if he liked it...he keeps wanting to use my Ace but
      after a few attempts, and a few dreaded clunks, and it being too heavy
      for him, I would give this one a try, as it's National Geographic
      afterall! Various reviews on Amazon were taken into consideration, tho
      I got it on Ebay, brand new, supposedly, and it looked it.
      Anyhoos, I should have supervised but he was soooooo excited about it
      that a cousin at his chaotic birthday party "helped" him set it up
      without my help.
      When he brought it to me later that day, it was not working.
      The sensitivity light(yes, this little thing does have a sensitivity
      setting...sort of!) and the "on" light stay on together so you can not
      set it...it just keeps beeping! Argh! He did tell me that when he
      first had it on it did not continuously beep. He is rough on
      EVERYTHING so it shouldn't have been a surprise at it's sudden demise.
      Oh, well, as I said, lesson learned! But will see if my fixer upper of
      anything electric dad can take a look at it.
      Any suggestions for a child size detector? Not too expensive? I have
      seen Bounty Hunter ones for kids. Any comments on those? Thanks, Shawn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2008
        Shawn, it's nice to see you wanting to get your nephew interested in
        the hobby. I read the reviews on the NG detector after reading your
        article. It looks like some people have found it as low as $15, and
        for shallow depths it got soome pretty good reviews!

        The 250 I believe is the lightest machine I know of out in the
        market, other than possibly some of these children's versions.

        My 2 cents worth (sorry clad 2 cents worth ;) ) if you were wanting
        to try again, would be to look for another one of the NG machines, if
        indeed the other is broken. It is light, it finds metal, and shhould
        hopefully last long enough for him to determine if he would like to
        pursuit the hobby further. My main reasoning is $15 compared to
        about $100 for the next step up machine. Anyone else want to throw
        your 2 cents of clad into the discussion???

        Best regards,
        Ken

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2008
          Thanks, Ken, for clad cents worth!
          I think I paid about about $19 for the one I got on Ebay.
          I will check out Target (where I think the $15 one came from) and if
          not now, they may have it in for the Christmas season. I really wanted
          to try the little thing myself, too.
          Am passing it on to my dad tom. Lets hope!
          Shawn Elaine