Re: modes

  • shropslad1969
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2008
      ye i need to know the machine better, will the bigger coil improve
      the 250 s performance,i just joined a club and wanna compete with the
      other members, they all drive minelabs and big bucks
      machines,searching is as much an art as detecting i have found

      > Sounds like you were having a no luck day. The ACE 250 will pick up
      all those items you mentioned, but at less depth then a much pricier
      unit. I used to own a Whites XLT which was a great performer. And
      while the XLT was excellent, the ACE 250 is pretty darn decent for
      the price vs. performance; and of course costs $600+ less! Keep
      looking and get to know your ACE better; and with a little more luck
      you'll find those items.

      > Rob
      > Winnipeg, Canada

    • Boux
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2008
        Are the items you mentioned found deep? By deep I mean 6 inches or deeper? If you have the ACE set on 'Coins' you will lose depth compared to the 'All Metal' mode; especially on small items that are deeper then 6 inches. This might be a problem for you in that particular search area. You might want to set up a 'Custom Mode' or try the 'Relic' mode for better depth over 'Coins'. The best thing to do is experiment with different settings and see what works for you. Also make sure your Sensitivity is not set to high; say 5 or 6 bars at most. Good Luck and let us know how it works!

        Rob

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2008
          I'll bet all the other hunters had one more important ingredient you
          an't buy...and that is experience with their machine. Even though
          the 250 is an easier machine to learn, it still takes some getting
          used to, especially in intrepiting (sp?) the signals.

          A club is a great place to learn about the machines, I have compared
          signals with other detectorists before digging just to see what
          different items on different machines sound like.

          My advice to you would be first to invite all of us over to hunt that
          spot with you!!! :) It sounds very promising...and I'm sure there
          are other items just as good waiting just for you to put your coil
          over them.

          The 12" coil will get you an extra inch or 2 in depth, but is tougher
          to pinpoint with.

          I used to think "only nails" myself...but remember, those old nails
          are in that area for a reason...an old home...tavern...a chest
          holding gold doubloons...so search it carefully...don't try to cover
          a lot of ground quickly...pick a small area and cover it thoroughly...

          Well there's my 2 cents worth for you...

          Best regards,
          Ken

          It sounds like you are off to a good start...don't get
          frustrated...just keep getting out and having fun, and keep us posted
          on your finds.