Re: Saturday finds

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
      --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, Marna Goodyear <marnag@...> wrote:

      > HAD to get out Saturday; it was sunny but the 30 mph wind made 40
      feel like 20. Hit a playscape; not a lot but good to get out. $3.65
      in clad and a sterling silver ring. There's a pic in my album.

      > Marna (CT)

      Way to go! That's a really good start considering the conditions. You
      even found a nickel! Those are few and far between. And a ring! I'm
      getting ready for my morning walk. I'm either going to do the ballpark
      since spring training just ended, or Chisholm Park, where they just had
      a civil war reenactment. Of couse they're in opposite
      directions...decisions, decisions, decisions. HH Chris
    • Marna Goodyear
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
        Nickels are only scarce if your discrimination is too high.  I can always tell if I hunt somewhere that someone else has been that has overdiscriminated as I turn up lots of nickels that were missed.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
          --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, Marna Goodyear <marnag@...> wrote:
          >Usually keep it at 3 bars...maybe I should come down another notch.
          Thanks, Chris

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
            Chris I think you are ok at the 3 bars...it's the discrimination
            (coins, relics etc) that might be cutting down on the nickle count.
            The coin jewelry mode might snatch a few more since it has less
            discrimination.

            I know that my nickle count drops dramatically when using the "other"
            model detector I have compared to the 250.

            With all the jewelry you find, nickles shouldn't matter anyways :) :)
            :)

            Ken

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
              Actually did find a nickel this morning. Haven't gotten past much
              more than that...2 quarters, couple of dimes, and oodles of pennies.
              Did you see where Florida sold out of metal detectors? Gold went
              over 1K an oz. so everybody is at the beach. They said the pawn
              shops are flooded with gold. That'll bring the price down. Of
              course I don't have the time to hit the beach, that figures. I will
              at the end of the month! All good things come to those that wait. HH
              Chris

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
                No, not the sensitivity, the discrimination of types of stuff it picks up.  Nickels ring just above foil; if you cut out the bottom three or four squares on the scale, you do hear a lot of trash but you find the nickels!

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
                  --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, Marna Goodyear <marnag@...> wrote:
                  >I got it! I think all the schools are on spring break so nobody has
                  been to the park. However, I did find a nickel.HH Chris