SNIPER COIL

  • wvgrandpappy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28 2:48 AM
      If 250 users have not yet tried out the 4.5 Sniper Coil...You are
      really missing out on a GREAT little coil. It allows you to work up
      close to metal fences, bleechers etc.and I see NO loss of depth.

      Since I have had mine I have NOT taken it off. It takes a little longer
      to cover the same ground you could cover with the standard coil but it
      is WELL WORTH IT.

      If you do not have the sniper coil you need to consider having one in
      the future.

      HAPPY HUNTING...PAP
    • icuallnow
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28 6:18 AM
        Your probably right on. I bought the sniper coil but don't want to use
        it until I get the cover I ordered forit. It's on back order.
        SO far the ACE 250 has been operating fine but the pin pointing really
        sucks. Garrett needs to address this problem,...soon. I plan to get a
        Whites metal detector soon, but of course I'll keep the ACE 250.Its a
        great little machine, and good to have an extra for any friends who
        have never MDed and would like to go out and test the waters with a
        friends loaner machine. ALso I think my grandson will enjoy the machine
        as well.

        Robert Roy
      • rob roy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28 6:21 AM

          BTW, an after thought.....It seems to me some great places to MD when your on the road would be the rest stops alnong the highway. Does anyone know if this is open/legal to metal detect?  Now THERE I think the snipr coil would come in real handy.

          Robert Roy

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28 7:22 AM
            Actually, I have been seeking out, and hunting, the old rest stops.
            Here in Michigan, they were a small park type stop with two wood
            structure outhouses, and there was usually a hand pump water well, so
            they could refill their radiators. Check your maps for postings such
            as "old State Rd., or "Old U.S. 27". Then drive them and look for what
            would remain of the rest area (here, some of them are roadside parks).

            Good luck!

            Ken

            --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, rob roy <icuallnow@...> wrote:

            > BTW, an after thought.....It seems to me some great places to MD when
            your on the road would be the rest stops alnong the highway. Does
            anyone know if this is open/legal to metal detect? Now THERE I think
            the snipr coil would come in real handy.

            > Robert Roy
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            Yahoo! FareChase.

          • rob roy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28 10:48 AM
              Old rest stops? I'm only familiar with the existing one's. They are usually remodeled.
              However, I should say that When I drove from Seattle to Indiana, I always took I-90 and sometimes I-94. I doubth that all the rest stops in the cuntry have been remodeled. I take
              I-70 and I-74 when leaving and catch I-35 up into Mpls and then I-90.

              What kind of luck have you had with your rest stops?

              Robert Roy

              ace250guy <milairnut@...> wrote:

              Actually, I have been seeking out, and hunting, the old rest stops.
              Here in Michigan, they were a small park type stop with two wood
              structure outhouses, and there was usually a hand pump water well, so
              they could refill their radiators. Check your maps for postings such
              as "old State Rd., or "Old U.S. 27". Then drive them and look for what
              would remain of the rest area (here, some of them are roadside parks).

              Good luck!

              Ken

              --- In ace250@yahoogroups. com, rob roy <icuallnow@. ..> wrote:

              > BTW, an after thought..... It seems to me some great places to MD when
              your on the road would be the rest stops alnong the highway. Does
              anyone know if this is open/legal to metal detect? Now THERE I think
              the snipr coil would come in real handy.

              > Robert Roy
              >

              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              Yahoo! FareChase.

              Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29 2:56 PM
                The coins have ranged back to the 30's and 40's.

                Ken

                --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, rob roy <icuallnow@...> wrote:

                > Old rest stops? I'm only familiar with the existing one's. They are
                usually remodeled.
                > However, I should say that When I drove from Seattle to Indiana,
                I always took I-90 and sometimes I-94. I doubth that all the rest
                stops in the cuntry have been remodeled. I take
                > I-70 and I-74 when leaving and catch I-35 up into Mpls and then I-
                90.

                > What kind of luck have you had with your rest stops?
                >
                > Robert Roy
                >
                > ace250guy <milairnut@...> wrote:
                >
                > Actually, I have been seeking out, and hunting, the old rest stops.
                > Here in Michigan, they were a small park type stop with two wood
                > structure outhouses, and there was usually a hand pump water well,
                so
                > they could refill their radiators. Check your maps for postings
                such
                > as "old State Rd., or "Old U.S. 27". Then drive them and look for
                what
                > would remain of the rest area (here, some of them are roadside
                parks).

                > Good luck!
                >
                > Ken
                >
                > --- In ace250@yahoogroups.com, rob roy <icuallnow@> wrote:
                > >

                > > BTW, an after thought.....It seems to me some great places to MD
                when
                > your on the road would be the rest stops alnong the highway. Does
                > anyone know if this is open/legal to metal detect? Now THERE I
                think
                > the snipr coil would come in real handy.
                > >
                > > Robert Roy
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > > Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with
                > Yahoo! FareChase.
                > >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
                Yahoo! Games.

              • rob roy
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 30 6:13 AM
                  Ken:

                  I imagine we have something like those old rest stops here. How do you go about locateing them?

                  Also, your ace 250....have you ever had your machine just not turn on....then awhile later it turns on?

                  RObert R

                  ace250guy <milairnut@...> wrote:

                  The coins have ranged back to the 30's and 40's.

                  Ken

                  --- In ace250@yahoogroups. com, rob roy <icuallnow@. ..> wrote:

                  > Old rest stops? I'm only familiar with the existing one's. They are
                  usually remodeled.
                  > However, I should say that When I drove from Seattle to Indiana,
                  I always took I-90 and sometimes I-94. I doubth that all the rest
                  stops in the cuntry have been remodeled. I take
                  > I-70 and I-74 when leaving and catch I-35 up into Mpls and then I-
                  90.

                  > What kind of luck have you had with your rest stops?
                  >
                  > Robert Roy
                  >
                  > ace250guy <milairnut@. ..> wrote:
                  >
                  > Actually, I have been seeking out, and hunting, the old rest stops.
                  > Here in Michigan, they were a small park type stop with two wood
                  > structure outhouses, and there was usually a hand pump water well,
                  so
                  > they could refill their radiators. Check your maps for postings
                  such
                  > as "old State Rd., or "Old U.S. 27". Then drive them and look for
                  what
                  > would remain of the rest area (here, some of them are roadside
                  parks).

                  > Good luck!
                  >
                  > Ken
                  >
                  > --- In ace250@yahoogroups. com, rob roy <icuallnow@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > BTW, an after thought..... It seems to me some great places to MD
                  when
                  > your on the road would be the rest stops alnong the highway. Does
                  > anyone know if this is open/legal to metal detect? Now THERE I
                  think
                  > the snipr coil would come in real handy.
                  > >
                  > > Robert Roy
                  > >

                  > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > > Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with
                  > Yahoo! FareChase.
                  > >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
                  Yahoo! Games.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 30 5:23 PM
                    Well, I have found them by driving the roads that were popular before
                    the Interstate system came into being. Look for roads that parellel
                    the Interstate. The three I have hunted are still roadside parks,
                    looking more like a small roadside picnic area. They no longer have
                    the pit toilets, but you can usually find the cement remnants of the
                    base. The hand operated water pump is the give-a-way as to its
                    previous job. Then there is my favorite method...talking to older
                    people and asking them if they remember where the rest areas used to
                    be. Since McDonalds and other fast food places weren't around, the
                    parks served as picnic areas while travelling further distances.

                    Let me know if you locate any of these! I'll challenge you all to
                    try and find one over the next couple weeks, and report back where it
                    is, and if you had any luck.

                    Best regards,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 30 5:27 PM
                      Oops. forgot to answer your second part of the question. When I
                      first got the ace, it would do the opposite...turn itself off
                      unexpectedly. It did this about a 1/2 dozen times. When I replaced
                      the first set of batteries, I haven't had the issue since...so I
                      think the original set of batteries weren't seated quite right.

                      Maybe take your batteries out, put them back in, and give it another
                      try. If that doesn't work contact maryp@..., and she'll
                      guide you to someone who can help you out. Tell her "Ken the ace
                      website guy" sent you to her. She is a sweetheart.

                    • rob roy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 31 6:05 AM
                        About the ACE not turning on: When I put the batteries in I notice you have to turn everyother one so that the negative end is up flush against the spring like contact. It turns out or appears to be that the one contact spring is not mounted in the machine correctly. It is off somewhat and does not have a good contact with the battery. That may or may not be the problem but I suspect that it is. I'll see how long I can live with it. The Ace has a two year warenty.

                        Robert Roy

                        try. If that doesn't work contact maryp@garrett. com, and she'll
                        guide you to someone who can help you out. Tell her "Ken the ace
                        website guy" sent you to her. She is a sweetheart.

                        Ken

                        -- In ace250@yahoogroups. com, rob roy <icuallnow@. ..> wrote:

                        > Ken:
                        >
                        > I imagine we have something like those old rest stops here. How
                        do you go about locateing them?

                        > Also, your ace 250....have you ever had your machine just not
                        turn on....then awhile later it turns on?

                        > RObert R
                        >
                        > ace250guy <milairnut@. ..> wrote:
                        >
                        > The coins have ranged back to the 30's and 40's.
                        >
                        > Ken
                        >
                        > --- In ace250@yahoogroups. com, rob roy <icuallnow@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Old rest stops? I'm only familiar with the existing one's. They
                        are
                        > usually remodeled.
                        > > However, I should say that When I drove from Seattle to Indiana,
                        > I always took I-90 and sometimes I-94. I doubth that all the rest
                        > stops in the cuntry have been remodeled. I take
                        > > I-70 and I-74 when leaving and catch I-35 up into Mpls and then I-
                        > 90.
                        > >
                        > > What kind of luck have you had with your rest stops?
                        > >
                        > > Robert Roy
                        > >
                        > > ace250guy <milairnut@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Actually, I have been seeking out, and hunting, the old rest
                        stops.
                        > > Here in Michigan, they were a small park type stop with two wood
                        > > structure outhouses, and there was usually a hand pump water
                        well,
                        > so
                        > > they could refill their radiators. Check your maps for postings
                        > such
                        > > as "old State Rd., or "Old U.S. 27". Then drive them and look for
                        > what
                        > > would remain of the rest area (here, some of them are roadside
                        > parks).
                        > >
                        > > Good luck!
                        > >
                        > > Ken
                        > >
                        > > --- In ace250@yahoogroups. com, rob roy <icuallnow@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > BTW, an after thought..... It seems to me some great places to
                        MD
                        > when
                        > > your on the road would be the rest stops alnong the highway. Does
                        > > anyone know if this is open/legal to metal detect? Now THERE I
                        > think
                        > > the snipr coil would come in real handy.
                        > > >
                        > > > Robert Roy
                        > > >

                        > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                        > > > Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels
                        with
                        > > Yahoo! FareChase.

                        > > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
                        > > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at
                        > Yahoo! Games.

                        web links.

                      • rob roy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 31 6:14 AM
                          I imagine one could find out from the local state highway crews where those older rest stops were located. I suspect that they are on the older roads not being used anymore. The old route 66 might be one of them.

                          Robert Roy