panning for gold

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2007
      Ok everyone, time to wake up from our winter naps. I've seen bears
      in winter more active than our site has been the last 6 weeks or so :)

      So here's a topic I'd like to get started.

      "Panning for Gold"

      Has anyone on the site actually panned? Have you found gold? Is
      panning easy? Please share any and all information please?

      I just found out there is a site a little over an hour away from my
      location in central Michigan that supposedly has gold according to a
      local chapter website for a prospecting organization.

      Now don't get me wrong, but my opinion of some organizations is that
      they make their money off of memberships, and not off of their
      finds. I am curious if anyone is a member of a gold hunting
      organization has recouped their initial investment in the least of
      equipment ( a gold panning pan).

      This is for a fun informational discussion, so can anyone start
      discussion?

      Also, since everyone has probably been sorting their 2006 finds
      during the winter months, has anyone found any coins that they didn't
      know they had? I discovered 2 wheat pennies that I didn't know I had
      till I rinsed a whole batch of pennies in some water and dish soap.

      How about some reports from you people in the thawed out regions of
      the world. Bobby, I here the ground is unfrozen in VA. Any more
      civil war finds? Anyone have permission to hunt, or own any property
      that may have civil war relics on it that you might like to invite me
      to hunt? (there, I got out of my shyness mode on that one didn't
      I? ;) )

      Chrismiqua, any finds in Fla to tell us about? Marna, how's the
      jewelry queen doing?

      Let's get this site active again...I'm ready to go hunting!!!

      hh and best regards,
      Ken
    • Bob Loren
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2007
        >From: ace250guy <milairnut@...>
        >Date: 2007/03/04 Sun PM 04:17:34 CST
        >To: ace250@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [ace250] panning for gold

        Hey Ken,

        Yes, I have panned for gold. About 1999, a friend of mine and I went to southern North Carolina. I was in a National Forest, the name escapes me, but it was Indian. We found some flakes and one small nuggett. It was fun, but alot of work. There are a town near me called Goldvein. There is gold there. Virginia was the second largest producer of gold east of the Mississippi. I'm sure there is some left.

        I haven't been hunting too much this winter. It's been wet and chilly. In the early winter I found a Virginia Militia Button at the same place we hunted when you were here. It's in my folder. I just put it in there. No where to hunt at that spot anymore, they built it fast.

        You know you are welcome anytime, I just wish I had a spot picked out for ya.

        I'm ready to hunt, also!!!!

        Bobby

        >Ok everyone, time to wake up from our winter naps. I've seen bears
        >in winter more active than our site has been the last 6 weeks or so :)
        >
        >So here's a topic I'd like to get started.
        >
        >"Panning for Gold"
        >
        >Has anyone on the site actually panned? Have you found gold? Is
        >panning easy? Please share any and all information please?
        >
        >I just found out there is a site a little over an hour away from my
        >location in central Michigan that supposedly has gold according to a
        >local chapter website for a prospecting organization.
        >
        >Now don't get me wrong, but my opinion of some organizations is that
        >they make their money off of memberships, and not off of their
        >finds. I am curious if anyone is a member of a gold hunting
        >organization has recouped their initial investment in the least of
        >equipment ( a gold panning pan).
        >
        >This is for a fun informational discussion, so can anyone start
        >discussion?
        >
        >Also, since everyone has probably been sorting their 2006 finds
        >during the winter months, has anyone found any coins that they didn't
        >know they had? I discovered 2 wheat pennies that I didn't know I had
        >till I rinsed a whole batch of pennies in some water and dish soap.
        >
        >How about some reports from you people in the thawed out regions of
        >the world. Bobby, I here the ground is unfrozen in VA. Any more
        >civil war finds? Anyone have permission to hunt, or own any property
        >that may have civil war relics on it that you might like to invite me
        >to hunt? (there, I got out of my shyness mode on that one didn't
        >I? ;) )
        >
        >Chrismiqua, any finds in Fla to tell us about? Marna, how's the
        >jewelry queen doing?
        >
        >Let's get this site active again...I'm ready to go hunting!!!
        >
        >hh and best regards,
        >Ken

      • Marna Goodyear
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
          Hi, Ken,

          Good to hear from you.  This "Jewelry Queen" has been more interested in staying warm than hunting!  There's still icy frozen snow everywhere making walking rather trecherous and we're having 40-mile-an-hour winds today, tonight, and tomorrow along with 20 below zero wind chills.

          However, the winter hasn't been a total loss.  I've compiled a big list of places to hunt that I've spotted while driving around since last fall.  A number are fairly close to me, so that will be convenient.  But that'll all have to wait until the weather warms up, I get my garden in and going, and my new hens are settled into their coop.

          M.