FW: WHO measure

  • David Gillanders
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      Jennifer Villatte and I had agreed to look into terminology to use to record ethnicity for the project. We have both been pretty snowed under and so it has taken us a while, but Kelly finally gave us a nudge further. I responded to Kelly with the email below and she asked if I would send it around the whole research practice list group. I have to say, its a topic that tends to create a good deal of fusion for me, as you'll tell from my email below.

      Best wishes

      David

      Dr. David Gillanders
      Chartered Clinical Psychologist
      Deputy Director
      Clinical Psychology Programme
      University of Edinburgh
      Teviot Place
      Edinburgh
      EH8 9AG
      0131 651 3946

      From: David Gillanders <david.gillanders@...>
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:19:52 +0000
      To: Kelly Koerner <kellykpracticeground@...>, 'Jennifer Villatte' <jlvillatte@...>
      Subject: Re: WHO measure

      Hi Kelly,

      I have looked into this a little bit, though its taken me a while. My conclusions are that there is no internationally agreed nomenclature for ethnicity, which surprises me a bit. The most helpful document I found (conincidentally) comes from Scotland. Its a briefing paper about the nomenclature that the government here will use for its 2011 census. It also describes a pretty involved process of arriving at these terms. As I was about to start writing a suggestion for a list here, my mind hooked me into a sense that whatever I put may be offensive to someone, and I stopped short.

      Really not sure how to proceed. I don't suggest you read the whole document, its too big! But page 40 gives some interesting reading about the use of colour terms such as Black and White in describing ethnicity.

      I guess we need to consider the purpose that we want to collect data for: generalisability from single cases to populations, and so our nomenclature needs to be pragmatic. To be exhaustive is not practical, [e.g. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups].

      In the Scottish Government document, there are a number of subcategories in each section. I have also looked at the USA  so having thought about it a bit, I am going to put something out there, in the spirit of trying to be helpful.

      White
      -European
      - American
      - Oceanian
      -Other

      Black
      – African
      - Carribean
      - Other

      Asian
      - Indian
      -Pakistani
      - Bangladeshi
      - Chinese
      - Other

      Hispanic / Latino

      It seems disrespectful to have a very large 'other' category, but I think we probably can't help it and it could be that if we allow people to specify, then we will see if there are particular groups that people put there, that we can then include as a group in six months time.

      I hope that’s helpful as a start, I wonder if combining this with the other starting point that Jennifer had made may be a good start?

      This makes you appreciate that this is not at all straightforward!

      From: Kelly Koerner <kellykpracticeground@...>
      Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:29:50 -0800
      To: 'Jennifer Villatte' <jlvillatte@...>, 'David Gillanders' <dgilland@...>
      Subject: WHO measure

      Hi you two,

      Am prepping an email for the next step on the ACBS research group and was hoping to finalize measures. The one thing I think we are missing is some way to characterize practitioners and perhaps clients/patients demographically that would work across countries.

      I did a quick search and found this link http://www.who.int/healthmetrics/tools/en/ on the WHO site but wonder if either of you might be able to delve in to see if there is something good for our purposes here…

      I am also about to post a query to my dissemination/implementation sciences workgroup to see if they might know of a measure that would work.

      Let me know if either of you might be able to plug away at this this week and track down a measure and thanks so much in advance if you can!

      Kelly