Re: [Academy of Anvil] (unknown)

  • Johnny Mezaraups
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2009
      That is great to hear.  I will try and see them if/when I get the opportunity.  It is amazing that they stuck to that style despite all the hardships.  They would obviously rather excel at what they know and love then follow the herds.

      Their story inspired me in my own struggles, making things happen as a young attorney, basically on my own, starting out with a monumental mountain of debt.  I know it's not as interesting a story, but the concepts are the same.  At the very least, these Anvil guys have inspired me drive on.  I think they are great.

      I'm not the biggest metal fan, but I will definitely listen to Anvil.  I am going to start with their first album and work my way through the archives.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2009
        well.. in some ways it's amazing.. I don't really find it that amazing,
        that they've kept going for 30+ years despite the hardships.. because
        all along, they've been doing what they love. I will never stop playing
        music, or stop being in a band because it doesn't bring me fame and
        fortune. That's not why I'm there. Same with Anvil.. They are there #1
        because they love playing music together. Becoming "rock stars" is/was a
        dream.. but not a make or break for the band :D

        good luck with your journey!!

        Johnny Mezaraups wrote:

        > That is great to hear. I will try and see them if/when I get the
        > opportunity. It is amazing that they stuck to that style despite all
        > the hardships. They would obviously rather excel at what they know and
        > love then follow the herds.
        >
        > Their story inspired me in my own struggles, making things happen as a
        > young attorney, basically on my own, starting out with a monumental
        > mountain of debt. I know it's not as interesting a story, but the
        > concepts are the same. At the very least, these Anvil guys have
        > inspired me drive on. I think they are great.
        >
        > I'm not the biggest metal fan, but I will definitely listen to Anvil.
        > I am going to start with their first album and work my way through the
        > archives.
        >
        > --- On Wed, 11/11/09, Matt Ingram <mattingram@...
        > <mailto:mattingram%40rogers.com>> wrote:
        >
        > From: Matt Ingram <mattingram@... <mailto:mattingram%40rogers.com>>
        > Subject: Re: [Academy of Anvil] (unknown)
        > To: academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:academyofanvil%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 7:25 PM
        >
        > They're doing a lot better in the biz.. they don't have day jobs any
        > more.. They have some label (VH1 Classics I believe) support and proper
        > management (same manager as Slayer, I believe).. They're currently on
        > tour in the UK with Saxon, and have a 4-5 week US, headlining tour
        > coming up in January. Not to mention the all the press and festivals,
        > etc they've continually been doing since Sundance Film Fest '08. Over
        > this past summer they also play 3 opening spots for ACDC.
        >
        > Here's to this great, long deserved success, lasting a long time!!
        >
        > Matt.
        >
        > Johnny Mezaraups wrote:
        > >
        > > How are the guys from Anvil doing now that the movie has hit the
        > > mainstream? Anyone know if they've yet been signed? On what label can
        > > you buy their albums?

        > 11/10/09 07:38:00

      • Johnny Mezaraups
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2009
          well said.  Art for the love of art is almost a forgotten concept.  But even so, they never gave up on trying to "make it" as can be shown in their investment in the 13th album and them shopping it around to producers in Cali and at home.  I also play in a band and love it, but have (at some point) given up on trying to "make it."  I love the music, but these guys really wanted to be stars, and they never gave up on that idea, despite the many very obvious obsticles (an ever dwindling audience for metal, etc.).  I wish I had their fortitude.  I always dreamed I would live my life on a tour bus, not behind a desk.. Here's to Anvil!!

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2009
            Not everything is in print. The first 4 albums are available via a Canadian label...Unidisc.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2009
              List of CDs currently in print:

              http://my.tbaytel.net/tgallo/anvil/avail.htm