A couple questions if anybody knows

  • astraltraveller420
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2009
      I'm new to the list here. Anyway, I saw the Cincinnati Anvil show exactly two weeks ago today & was pretty cool. Just wish it was longer than only twenty-five minutes, in the dark, a wall of amps & I could have smoked & drank. lol Never the less, I've seen 400 plus shows & can't say I've ever seen one in a movie theater before so that was different & unique anyway. lol But I digress. I was just wondering (& forgot to ask Steve, Robb or Glenn) what happened to their second guitarist who was in the movie. The other thing I was especially curious about & forgot to ask 'em was if Stash, Scott Ian, Lemmy Kilmister, Tom Araya & Lars Ulrich are such big fans of Anvil & were influenced by them, then why don't Velvet Revolver, Anthrax, Motorhead, Slayer or Metallica bring them out on tour with them as their opening act? Thanks.
    • Christian Bobak
      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2009
        In the closing credits of the film, it says that Ivan Hurd left the band and moved to Holland Landing, Ontario with his wife Tiziana.

        As for your question about why those bands don't have Anvil opening for them, you're certainly not the first one to ask it. A lot of people have been asking that question, so you never know ... it might happen.

        Christian

        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2009
          As Christian said...it was mentioned in the end credits that he left. His heart had not been in it for years.

          If you get a chance, read the book. It covers their complete history.

          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "astraltraveller420" <astraltraveller420@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to the list here. Anyway, I saw the Cincinnati Anvil show exactly two weeks ago today & was pretty cool. Just wish it was longer than only twenty-five minutes, in the dark, a wall of amps & I could have smoked & drank. lol Never the less, I've seen 400 plus shows & can't say I've ever seen one in a movie theater before so that was different & unique anyway. lol But I digress. I was just wondering (& forgot to ask Steve, Robb or Glenn) what happened to their second guitarist who was in the movie. The other thing I was especially curious about & forgot to ask 'em was if Stash, Scott Ian, Lemmy Kilmister, Tom Araya & Lars Ulrich are such big fans of Anvil & were influenced by them, then why don't Velvet Revolver, Anthrax, Motorhead, Slayer or Metallica bring them out on tour with them as their opening act? Thanks.

        • captain2man
          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2009
            The answer to the often-asked question - "well - if they like Anvil so much, why don't they take them on tour with them?" is much more complicated than it sounds. MUCH more complicated.

            Remember something....the music business is a BUSINESS....it's about money.

            Tours - especially the big big ones - like the ones you're talking about - are essentially marketing tools....they exist to make money - the price of concert tickets and merchandise...the increased profile of the bands that hopefully translates to increased CD sales.

            Tours are extremely expensive to put together...they are financed from many different places....and opening acts are chosen very rarely by the headlining bands - but by the investors who pay for those tours.

            If some record label is financing a tour for Slayer - they're going to put a band on that tour who maybe is some new unknown band on that label to give them exposure....not Anvil.

            There are also "buy ons"....this is touched upon in the autobiography. But essentially, it's where an opening band (or more probably their management and/or record label) buys an unknown band onto a larger tour....the ultimate pay-to-play situation.

            Just want to put this out there because I see bigger bands often accused of not taking such-and-such a band on the road with them....just keep in mind it's far more to it than that and most likely, completely & totally out of their control.

            --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "astraltraveller420" <astraltraveller420@...> wrote:

            > I'm new to the list here. Anyway, I saw the Cincinnati Anvil show exactly two weeks ago today & was pretty cool. Just wish it was longer than only twenty-five minutes, in the dark, a wall of amps & I could have smoked & drank. lol Never the less, I've seen 400 plus shows & can't say I've ever seen one in a movie theater before so that was different & unique anyway. lol But I digress. I was just wondering (& forgot to ask Steve, Robb or Glenn) what happened to their second guitarist who was in the movie. The other thing I was especially curious about & forgot to ask 'em was if Stash, Scott Ian, Lemmy Kilmister, Tom Araya & Lars Ulrich are such big fans of Anvil & were influenced by them, then why don't Velvet Revolver, Anthrax, Motorhead, Slayer or Metallica bring them out on tour with them as their opening act? Thanks.

          • Myche
            Message 5 of 8 , May 25, 2009
              Well put Captain. I think this will answer a lot of questions for people.

              Rock on.

              ~Myche W. ( Humboldt)

              --

              Myche

            • astraltraveller420
              Message 6 of 8 , May 27, 2009
                I was just curious about the second guitarist 'cause I always thought they were a quartet. So I assume this must be the first time in Anvil's history that they've been a trio. Also before they played but after the movie Steve said something to the effect "why do we need a bo bo guitarist when we have such a great bassist." (Glenn really is a great bassist though) I thought that comment was very uncool, unnecessary & unprofessional. He should have just said he left the band & left it at that. (so if his heart wasn't into it anymore I assume he quit) I hope he's not saying this before they go on at all these movie shows. I think Robb would be way cooler & laid back than Steve anyway & I can't see him saying something like that; not publicly anyway.

                I was also unsure about the opening act thingie. Even Don Jamieson on That Metal Show said the same thing to those guys that one of these bands should take you out on the road with 'em. Though he didn't ask 'em directly why not & they didn't comment. Now I would think most "normal" bands wouldn't have a choice as to who opens for 'em, but some bands can hand pick their openers. Like a band as big & powerful as Metallica who just got inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame I would think would be able to hand pick their opening act. (even long before their induction too) And besides, with as much attention as Anvil's gotten recently, (possibly the most in their whole career?) I would think it could help boost attendance (even if they're not young anymore) at least a little on somebody's bill.

                Kevin
              • Roger Fraser
                Message 7 of 8 , May 29, 2009
                  I don't agree with how that comment about the guitar player was worded, but I do agree that Glenn 5 is one of the greatest bass players in the world!

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 31, 2009
                    Kevin:

                    If you want a more comprehensive history of the band, including the details surrounding why Ivan is no longer in the band, I'd strongly recommend getting the book.

                    The book, unlike the movie, is much more "no holds barred" as far as the history of the band is concerned.

                    The book is a dialogue between Lips & Robb....so keep that in mind while reading it....true - it doesn't get more authorative when it comes to the history of the band as it does coming from the lips of Lips (ha) and Robb....after all - Anvil is their band...and they weren't afraid to let it all out....I wouldn't blame some former members of the band for not being too happy about they were portrayed and since the book's point of view is only through the eyes of Lips & Robb, the other guys in the band - including Ivan - don't have a platform in which to share their version of the history.

                    But in any case - if you want a less sugar-coated history of the band - especially in regards to Ivan and why the band - historically a 4-piece - became a trio - then the book is your best source.