Re: [Academy of Anvil] Anvil as a Trio

  • Matt Ingram
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23 2:40 PM
      I think Anvil is better as a trio. I've seen them a lot in the past few
      years both as a four piece and as a 3 piece.. and when Ivan left.. it
      was like they had a new fire burning.. they still play all the same
      tunes (minus Smokin Green - ya bastards!!).. but you can't really tell
      they're missing a guitarist.. and you can hear G5 way better.. he's a
      killer bass player!

      Christian Bobak wrote:

      > Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though
      > he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't
      > at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack
      > was, so he would have been partially hidden.
      >
      > That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months
      > ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.
      >
      > Christian
      >
      > captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>> wrote: The last time I saw Anvil
      > was I guess about a year ago at what is now
      > the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.
      >
      > I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
      > YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.
      >
      > Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
      > songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
      > imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.
      >
      > Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
      > seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
      > "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
      > triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
      > off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
      > side.
      >
      > Am I alone in thinking this?
      >
      > _._,___

      \m/ HEAVY METAL EARTHQUAKE \m/