Re: [Academy of Anvil] Anvil as a Trio

  • Christian Bobak
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
      Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack was, so he would have been partially hidden.

      That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.

      Christian

      captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: The last time I saw Anvil was I guess about a year ago at what is now
      the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.

      I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
      YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.

      Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
      songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
      imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.

      Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
      seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
      "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
      triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
      off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
      side.

      Am I alone in thinking this?

      _._,___

    • Matt Ingram
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
        I think Anvil is better as a trio. I've seen them a lot in the past few
        years both as a four piece and as a 3 piece.. and when Ivan left.. it
        was like they had a new fire burning.. they still play all the same
        tunes (minus Smokin Green - ya bastards!!).. but you can't really tell
        they're missing a guitarist.. and you can hear G5 way better.. he's a
        killer bass player!

        Christian Bobak wrote:

        > Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though
        > he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't
        > at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack
        > was, so he would have been partially hidden.
        >
        > That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months
        > ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.
        >
        > Christian
        >
        > captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>> wrote: The last time I saw Anvil
        > was I guess about a year ago at what is now
        > the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.
        >
        > I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
        > YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.
        >
        > Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
        > songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
        > imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.
        >
        > Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
        > seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
        > "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
        > triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
        > off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
        > side.
        >
        > Am I alone in thinking this?
        >
        > _._,___

        \m/ HEAVY METAL EARTHQUAKE \m/