Re: [Academy of Anvil] Anvil as a Trio

  • mestredio
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
      First of, I`ve never seen Anvil...,since I live in
      First of, I`ve never seen Anvil...,since I live in
      Brasil and they never played here!
      I had a ticket in my hands, but the show was
      canceled....,hey Lips...,come here please!!!!! ;-)
      Anyway, talking about the trio formation, I agree with
      you. Just think in Motorhead or the old Exciter. None
      of the guys are in the center of the stage!
      Glenn don`t seem the kind of guy that walks a lot on
      stage...,but you guys could keep changing position
      during the show. Take a look at old Exciter or
      Destruction nowadays...,Schmier and Mike keep changing
      all the time...,there are 3 mics on stage 1 center, 1
      right and 1 left...,and Schmier sings in them all!!

      I think that works better and people enjoy more the
      show. On the videos I`ve seem Lips is
      unstoppable...,crazy on stage, but you guys should do
      more of it.

      By the way...,when the Anvil! The Story of Anvil will
      be available on dvd? I can`t wait to watch it!!

      --- captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > The last time I saw Anvil was I guess about a year
      > ago at what is now
      > the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still
      > in the band.
      >
      > I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the
      > chance - and the
      > YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.
      >
      > Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing
      > any of the older
      > songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going
      > it's hard to
      > imagine all the songs really being able to be
      > recreated.
      >
      > Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still
      > standing in the middle
      > seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece -
      > that's been his
      > "position" since the beginning....but when you're a
      > trio - I think a
      > triangular shape works much better....it looks weird
      > with Glenn being
      > off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no
      > one on the other
      > side.
      >
      > Am I alone in thinking this?

    • Christian Bobak
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
        Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack was, so he would have been partially hidden.

        That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.

        Christian

[...]

        _._,___

      • Matt Ingram
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
          I think Anvil is better as a trio. I've seen them a lot in the past few
          years both as a four piece and as a 3 piece.. and when Ivan left.. it
          was like they had a new fire burning.. they still play all the same
          tunes (minus Smokin Green - ya bastards!!).. but you can't really tell
          they're missing a guitarist.. and you can hear G5 way better.. he's a
          killer bass player!

          Christian Bobak wrote:

          > Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though
          > he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't
          > at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack
          > was, so he would have been partially hidden.
          >
          > That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months
          > ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.
          >
          > Christian
          >
          > captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>> wrote: The last time I saw Anvil
          > was I guess about a year ago at what is now
          > the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.
          >
          > I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
          > YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.
          >
          > Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
          > songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
          > imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.
          >
          > Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
          > seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
          > "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
          > triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
          > off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
          > side.
          >
          > Am I alone in thinking this?
          >
          > _._,___

          \m/ HEAVY METAL EARTHQUAKE \m/