Anvil as a Trio

  • captain2man
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2008
      The last time I saw Anvil was I guess about a year ago at what is now
      the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.

      I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
      YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.

      Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
      songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
      imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.

      Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
      seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
      "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
      triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
      off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
      side.

      Am I alone in thinking this?
    • mestredio
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
        First of, I`ve never seen Anvil...,since I live in
        First of, I`ve never seen Anvil...,since I live in
        Brasil and they never played here!
        I had a ticket in my hands, but the show was
        canceled....,hey Lips...,come here please!!!!! ;-)
        Anyway, talking about the trio formation, I agree with
        you. Just think in Motorhead or the old Exciter. None
        of the guys are in the center of the stage!
        Glenn don`t seem the kind of guy that walks a lot on
        stage...,but you guys could keep changing position
        during the show. Take a look at old Exciter or
        Destruction nowadays...,Schmier and Mike keep changing
        all the time...,there are 3 mics on stage 1 center, 1
        right and 1 left...,and Schmier sings in them all!!

        I think that works better and people enjoy more the
        show. On the videos I`ve seem Lips is
        unstoppable...,crazy on stage, but you guys should do
        more of it.

        By the way...,when the Anvil! The Story of Anvil will
        be available on dvd? I can`t wait to watch it!!

        --- captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > The last time I saw Anvil was I guess about a year
        > ago at what is now
        > the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still
        > in the band.
        >
        > I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the
        > chance - and the
        > YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.
        >
        > Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing
        > any of the older
        > songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going
        > it's hard to
        > imagine all the songs really being able to be
        > recreated.
        >
        > Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still
        > standing in the middle
        > seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece -
        > that's been his
        > "position" since the beginning....but when you're a
        > trio - I think a
        > triangular shape works much better....it looks weird
        > with Glenn being
        > off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no
        > one on the other
        > side.
        >
        > Am I alone in thinking this?

      • Christian Bobak
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
          Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack was, so he would have been partially hidden.

          That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.

          Christian

          captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: The last time I saw Anvil was I guess about a year ago at what is now
          the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.

          I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
          YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.

          Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
          songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
          imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.

          Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
          seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
          "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
          triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
          off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
          side.

          Am I alone in thinking this?

          _._,___

        • Matt Ingram
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
            I think Anvil is better as a trio. I've seen them a lot in the past few
            years both as a four piece and as a 3 piece.. and when Ivan left.. it
            was like they had a new fire burning.. they still play all the same
            tunes (minus Smokin Green - ya bastards!!).. but you can't really tell
            they're missing a guitarist.. and you can hear G5 way better.. he's a
            killer bass player!

            Christian Bobak wrote:

            > Actually, it's just the angle. Lips was mostly to stage left, though
            > he shifted a bit to the centre later on. Most of the reason he wasn't
            > at stage left was because that's where the wall and a speaker stack
            > was, so he would have been partially hidden.
            >
            > That being said, he was centre stage at the shows I saw a few months
            > ago at the new Rock & Roll Heaven.
            >
            > Christian
            >
            > captain2man <no_reply@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>> wrote: The last time I saw Anvil
            > was I guess about a year ago at what is now
            > the "new" L'Amour in Staten Island. Ivan was still in the band.
            >
            > I have yet to see Anvil as a trio - I hope I get the chance - and the
            > YouTube videos sound pretty convincing.
            >
            > Just wondering if it does prevent them from playing any of the older
            > songs. So used to hearing that rhythm guitar going it's hard to
            > imagine all the songs really being able to be recreated.
            >
            > Also - simply from a visual thing....Lips still standing in the middle
            > seems a little odd to me...I know as a 4-piece - that's been his
            > "position" since the beginning....but when you're a trio - I think a
            > triangular shape works much better....it looks weird with Glenn being
            > off to one side like that, Lips in the middle & no one on the other
            > side.
            >
            > Am I alone in thinking this?
            >
            > _._,___

            \m/ HEAVY METAL EARTHQUAKE \m/