Anvil Movie

  • zygons_rule
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2007
      It clearly is not a "pipedream" or joke. The link is wonky but the url works.
      www.anvilmovie.com

      I'm a little worried about the log line: "Following a calamitous European tour, Lips and Robb,
      now well into their fifties, set off to record their thirteenth album, "This is Thirteen," in one
      last attempt to fulfill their boyhood dream." But will wait to see the film first before casting
      judgement. I never thought this album was Anvil's "one last attempt". But perhaps it is.
      Either way I hope the film can stand on it's own two legs and be both an interesting look at
      Anvil (people and music) as well as being a good movie on it's own. Too many documentaries
      about people, bands and what not are too superficial and are nothing more than a series of
      talking heads and clips. I hope this is not the case here.

      Good luck at Sundance boys. If anything that alone is an indication this film could be
      something special.

      Let us know when there are other screenings (Toronto?).

      Cheers,

      -R
    • Matt Ingram
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2007
        I don't think the "last attempt at a boyhood dream" means this is their
        last album - I think it's more saying that "This is Thirteen" coupled
        with the movie - is probably their last BIG shot at bringing them great
        fame and fortune. I know that regardless of what happens with this
        movie and album, that Anvil will keep writing and continue kicking ass -
        probably until they're dead!

        I can't wait to see this.. I've heard it will be almost like Spinal
        Tap, only funnier, better and real! I really believe that this movie
        will apply to people not only Anvil fans, but anybody. There must be
        something special about it to be selected for Sundance. Only a handful
        of movies make it there in comparison to the thousands entered.

        I also think this will be a very unique movie as it's a documentary
        about a band, that never really "made it" in terms of monetary success
        and stardom, but at the same time is a world renowned band, that was and
        is highly influential on the genre of Heavy Metal. They are also a band
        that despite the lack of great fame and fortune, have never stopped
        kicking ass and have been pumping out killer tunes for the past 30
        years. A documentary about a band that work day jobs, have families and
        keep a world class band rocking is great contrast to a documentary about
        a HUGE band making an album or whatever.

        This movie and This is Thirteen - is and will be a big deal for Anvil!
        Can't wait!!

        --
        \m/ HEAVY METAL EARTHQUAKE \m/

        JOE THRASHER - Thrash Metal Band