Re: Remasters?

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
      I don't know if it's me because I lost some high frequencies in mmy
      left ear long time ago, but I can't really hear the subtlity of the
      remastering art. I hear fine when it's not TOO loud. I listened once
      to Black Sabbath remastered and I had to put the old CD with the
      remastered CD side by side to try to see a difference. What how do
      they proceed exactly, do they improve, boost or change the sound on
      the master tracks?

      Excuse my ignorance.

      --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ericfg47@...> wrote:

      > So, we're all thinking about it.
      > We all want it.
      > We all deserve it.
      > Will it happen?
      > When will 'Metal On Metal' and 'Forged In Fire' be rereleased in a
      > remasterd form?
      > The original recordings are very solid; just a little bass boost
      and
      > some other tweaking would make them totally current.
      > Maybe the inclusions of some of the 'Backwaxed' tracks would help
      fill
      > out the remasterd reissue. Or, how about the relavent live tracks
      > from the 'Past And Present' album as bonus tracks?
      > We know it would sell (about a thousand copies) but it's a, just,
      no-
      > brianer.
      > Besides, I need to improve the vinyl rip recording that I now have
      on
      > CDR....

    • Eric Gaumann
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
        >Which verion do you have?
        This one:
        PAST AND PRESENT - LIVE IN CONCERT Enigma / Metal Blade Records
        Canada / USA 7 73412-2 1989

        >Also what are the discrepencies? I'll have to check mine?
        There are 11 songs on the album but there are 8 "tracks" on the CD.
        For instance Track 6 has March Of The Crabs *and* Jackhammer, Track 7 has Metal On Metal *and* Winged Assassins, and Track 8 has 666 *and* Mothra together on it.

        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, Eric Gaumann <ericfg47@...> wrote:
        >> BTW, do all the 'Past And Present' CDs have track number
        >>discrepencies like mine does?

      • Jimmy Crackcorn
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
          Yes, I have this one also and mine is the same way with the two tracks
          combined into one as the last 3 songs.

          Isn't remastering when they take the master tapes of an album and re-
          EQ them so that they will sound best on a digital medium? They were
          originally mastered for vinyl with it's limitations, so certain
          frequencies were raised and lowered to even out the replay. When
          remastered for CD specifications the tapes can be given a bit more
          bass-response, etc. so they have a bit more Oooomph and punch, etc. on
          a CD.
          Tange tells me often that I only hear what I choose to hear! Maybe if
          she was "remastered" it would help me??? ;)

          catdeli
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
            Jimmy Crackcorn <catdeli@...> wrote: "a bit more Oooomph and punch, etc." I should try the punch... ;^D

            Country music artists Artist music Anvil Heavy metal Artist Portrait artist

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
              I believe all versions of the CD are like that. I've seen this any
              many live CDs...particularily where one song just runs into another.