Swartzen Shabus Black Sabbath

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14 5:10 PM
      Truely my all time favourite, I saw them the first time when I was
      14 years old, at the Borough of York Stadium here in Toronto the
      summer of 1970. It was a great show, I was totally blown away not
      only by Sabbath but by Humble Pie....with none other than Peter
      Frampton on lead guitar. Steve Marriot was amazing, he was like a
      Mick Jagger that played guitar. They played most of the stuff that
      was on the live Humble Pie album from the filmore. When Sabbath
      played they did songs I hadn't heard yet!! Children of the
      Grave...Tony did a long guitar solo, he was wearing these lace up
      boots to his knees, Ozzy was wearing that shirt with the long
      fringes on the arms. I can remember much of what I saw but it was
      the Never Say Die Tour that I actually met the guys. That was an
      amazing experience, and one of my first experiences with meeting
      musical royalty. I was 21 and we had really just started Anvil or
      (LIPS) at that time, it was 1977, me Robb, Dave(Squirly)Bess, and
      Pup Mquire a friend of Bess's got into Bess's moms car and drove
      down to Buffalo NY to see Black Sabbath. Bess had recently returned
      from Europe after being on the road with Sabbath so he had arranged
      to get passes for us. When we got to the border ...the border guards
      found you know what in a ciggarette package. They made us walk back
      to Canada to get $50 American money to pay for the fine for trying
      to smuggle contraban into the USA. They let us go to the concert and
      told us never to try doing that kind of thing again. We were very
      lucky!!! When we got to the concert hall Van Halen were doing a
      sound check. Roth didn't show up until the sound check was over and
      the rest of the guys were in the change room. I got to have a really
      close look at Eddie's guitars and complete set up. Bess showed us
      around the stage, including into Tony's tour cases...he shouldn't
      have been doing this!!!! he showed me Tony's extra finger tips. He
      would change them for different songs or when they wore out. I
      didn't actually touch them so I don't know how hard or soft they
      were. It's facinating that his sound is effected by these tips,
      particularly his well know frills or hammer ons. Even his vibrato is
      quite unique, and I think because of these circumstances it makes it
      that much more outstanding. Tony himself from my prespective was a
      soft spoken English gentleman. Ozzy was an amazing professional, he
      was sick as a dog but he preformed as if nothing was wrong....a real
      trooper. Bill was using Oxygen between songs but pounded like he was
      murdering his drums. It was a day or two after Keith Moon died and
      Bill was quite upset about it, he was expressing his sadness to us
      as he warmed up on a chair using his Bill Ward drum sticks that Robb
      still has to this day. Geezer was joking with Bess and I between
      songs as they were playing. He kept on calling us Canadian colonial
      Cunts, and laughing and then going back out toward the chrowd as he
      played, waving his hand with the devil sign. I've of course seen
      them a number of times, through the years. They know me to see me
      and are quite friendly. I last talked to Tony and Geezer in Florida
      at a show they did with Motorhead, in 94 to or 96. Tony Martin was
      singing, he was really cool, he came up to me and mentioned his old
      band openned up for Anvil at the Marquis in London England. The
      drummer was Bobby Rondinelli, and I stood and watched his drum solo
      with Micky Dee, he said he likes the way Bobby played....hey neither
      Micky or Bobby compare to Robb anyway but what the hell!!!! This
      show was before Werzzel left Motorhead, and quite honestly, I still
      prefer a 4 piece Motorhead. Strangely enough I spent an evenning
      with Dio recently....Sabbath Music 4 Ever
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14 6:48 PM
        did he hog the covers?

        ha....just teasing ya.

        Thanks for sharing your stories with us!!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14 7:13 PM
          Well, I could be completely bilingual by now...because I understand the joke! Good one "tgalloca"!

          I translated Robb's interview with Truemetal.com with the Google's translator. I was surprised to read that Robb was approached by , Iron Maiden and Slayer to name just two. It would be fun to know when that was.

          It was a very good story about Sabbath's shows. " Squirly" always makes me laugh. I have some difficulties to believe that he was a Sabbath fan. Anyway!

          tange
          tgalloca <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          did he hog the covers?

          ha....just teasing ya.

          Thanks for sharing your stories with us!!!

          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, anvilips2000 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Strangely enough I spent an evenning
          > with Dio recently....Sabbath Music 4 Ever

          Country music artists Artist music Anvil Heavy metal Artist Portrait artist