Re: Who here likes Sabbath?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
      I only saw "Sabbath" with Dio singing (not bad) or Ian Gillan (not
      good) and Ozzy in the 80's. Ozzy was drunk, stoned and the last
      time...on Prozac. I never thought the original Sabbath was
      so "Sabbath". Ozzy was "in" the band and they were all excellent. I
      stayed like "wow" when I saw Bill Ward doing War Pigs. It wasn't my
      favorite Sabbath song, but now they're all my faves...They started
      with Paranoid but I thought that I was bored to hear that song
      (radio, cover bands, partys)...I am not!! I think that Anvil,
      Exciter, Razor played at the Haunted House. Not sure.

      --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, Heavymetalhead.com
      <heavymetalhead@h...> wrote:
      > > Message: 4
      > > Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:50:48 -0000
      > > From: "Jimmy Crackcorn" <catdeli@v...>
      > > Subject: Who here likes Sabbath?
      > >
      > > Last night we put in my old bootleg videotape of Black Sabbath
      > > Live in Paris 1970. If you have any passing interest in BS, find a
      > > copy of this immediately to see them just as Paranoid album was
      > > coming out. So good! Tange was amazed! This is Ozzy before he
      > > became "Ozzy Osbourne" and he wasn't the whole show but just
      > > stood to the side of the stage and watched as the others played.
      > > He was really into the songs and could be the first "headbanger"
      > > maybe. He was doing it a lot on stage before it became popular
      > > to do. They got a lot of stick from the pompous critics of the day
      > > but looking back now it is easy to see that they had "IT" in
      > > spades. Bill Ward's drumming was always panned but he can do
      > > no wrong on this show. Just to hear his classic drum tunings and
      > > those trademark fills in a live setting, you go "Yup, that's the
      > > original!".
      >
      > I'm a huge, huge fan of Sabbath. They and Ozzy were my bread and
      butter when I was first getting into metal some 18 years ago. I have
      this boot as well and my favorite from it is "Behind The Wall Of
      Sleep" - a lesser-known number from the first album but one I really
      like because it never ever got performed all that much. I think if I
      remember right War Pigs has some alternate lyrics to it, too. Quite
      possibly the best video boot of Sabbath from the 70s that exists.
      There was one of Sabbath in Toronto circa 1972 that I've heard exists
      and in fact I've seen snippets of - from an outdoor festival of some
      sort and the quality is really grainy. Wish I could remember
      more 'cuz I would love to see it.

      > Mark,
      > http://zap.to/yahoogroups/
    • Jimmy Crackcorn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "tangelaine2000"
        <elainerochefort@h...> wrote:
        > I only saw "Sabbath" with Dio singing (not bad) or Ian Gillan (not
        > good) and Ozzy in the 80's. Ozzy was drunk, stoned and the last
        > time...on Prozac.

        Yes, I never got to see the original Sabbath when they played the
        States (kicks self) but I did see them with Dio and then with Gillan
        also. When they toured here with Dio, we went to their motel for
        autographs and they traveled in 2 separate limos. One had Geezer and
        Vinny Appice and the other that we caught had Tony and RJD. We had to
        climb into the limo and hand our albums to them for signatures and
        hellos and then they were off.
        Later in April '83 at the same motel, we found Ozzy, whose hair was
        just growing back because he had drunkenly shaved his head one night
        (remember that?). He was alone in the bar with his bodyguard, as my
        friend and I timidly sat down at the other end, not daring to go
        near. We were going to go over but he was in the midst of a serious
        shots and beers session just then. Soon after, his handler came over
        and asked if we were there to see Ozzy. Well, we certainly looked the
        part: long hair, black rock shirts and leathers. He took our albums
        over to Ozzy and I had a new calendar that Ozzy had not yet seen. He
        was getting a big kick out of the photos of him and his dwarf
        friend "Ronnie"(haha) so he called us over and bought us drinks. We
        sat there and didn't say much as he continued to down the shots and
        beers. The bodyguard would not allow any photos because of his state,
        understandably. We went back the next morning and I managed to take a
        few pics of Ozzy going out to his bus. He said he would do some
        photos with us when he finished but before it could happen, the
        bodyguard chased us away. We were not going to argue with this bloke,
        believe me!

        catdeli
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
          I was too young to see them in their heyday but was lucky enough to
          catche them on their reunion tour in 1999.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
            You're damn lucky if you saw the reunion. I watched a tape about it and it's cool to see Ozzy teasing Bill Ward during the interviews, because they looked like best friends on the 1970's videotape. Probably that Ozzy and Bill were the two "Olé!" of the band.

            What was the name of this "maybe" first metal festival in 1984? Ozzy was there, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, Triumph....et maybe some others. I saw that on TV, I think. It was called the "....metal festival". Judas did the song "you got another thing coming"....Where was it? Does anybody know?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              I beleive you are thinking about the US Festival. They ran in 82 and
              83. In 83 they had a "metal day".

              http://www.woz.org/US/

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                Yes, that's exactly what I watched on TV. They had a part "metal" but it wasn't a metal festival. That's where I saw Ozzy with his shaved head. Now it's fashionable, but in 1983 - it was weird. Thanks for the link!