my negative post

  • xcygnusxyyzx
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
      I really came off as a dickhead on that last post of mine. Im just
      so frustrated with the GENRE "metal", its just such crap these
      days. It lost its meaning(if it ever had one) I mean I really like the
      fact that Anvil change it up and dont conform to the crap thats
      coming out nowadays. Back to Basics and Still going Strong
      were testaments to that for sure. I dont Like SGS for my own
      personal reasons, WHITE RHINO rules though, but the songs
      just sound forced to me, like filler tracks or something. Race
      against Time sounds good live though. And Holy Wood is
      Brilliant. hahah. I guess I wont understand that album unless its
      really explained to me. But as for Back to Basics I love the album,
      but it really sunk in hard when I realized that Chainsaw was a
      JUDAS PRIEST song. I just want to know why you did that. I still
      remain a diehard fan Its just bugging the crap out of me.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
        Dan, I understand your frustration at what they call "Metal" these
        days. I feel the same. In the 80's metal scene there were so many
        great bands popping up all over who have now become icons of the
        style: Saxon, Maiden, AnViL, Metallica, Megadeth, Raven, etc. and
        Priest, Accept, Sabbath, Motorhead, Budgie, KISS, UFO were still
        cranking out the albums.
        Blues-based Rock n'Roll, cranked up and distorted, was the start of
        this music, mostly. Now, any kids growing up and forming bands have
        been growing up with RAP as the primary type of music. Real rock
        music is not all that they knew, like it was in the past when bands
        drew their influences from the 70's heroes of the day. So there in
        the 90's we had a huge pus-filled boil of bands who began a "nu-
        metal"(YUK!) style, also called "Rap Metal"(SUPER YUK!). I listen to
        this newer thing and the primary style is it's rap-based drumming and
        funky beats. True 4 - 4 driving beats have fallen by the wayside
        mostly. Also, the vocalists CAN NOT SING and don't even try:they RAP!
        (TRIPLE SUPER YUK!). Shove it.
        There are still bands like AnViL who remain true to the Heavy Metal
        that we love. Dio and Feinstein both put out smoking heavy metal
        albums last year but they did not sell in the huge numbers. Thank God
        that they ALL continue to feed us what we want. They do it for the
        ART because surely they could all be joining the crowd and making
        some cash by selling their souls to corporate Amerika in jingle-land.
        I wish I had more time and the desire to search for today's good old-
        style metal bands because they are out there if you look.

        catdeli
      • glabrek
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
          > There are still bands like AnViL who remain true to the Heavy Metal
          > that we love. Dio and Feinstein both put out smoking heavy metal
          > albums last year but they did not sell in the huge numbers. Thank God
          > that they ALL continue to feed us what we want. They do it for the
          > ART because surely they could all be joining the crowd and making
          > some cash by selling their souls to corporate Amerika in jingle-land.
          > I wish I had more time and the desire to search for today's good old-
          > style metal bands because they are out there if you look.

          You're right. Dio-Master of the Moon and Feinstein-Third Wish are
          great albums. You're also right when you say that the good heavy
          metal bands are still there. It's just that we need to search for
          them more.

          Here is my "Best-Of 2004" listing I posted on a metal forum (The Power
          Zone):

          In no particular order:

          LORDI-The Monsterican Dream (I just love this band. Catchy
          entertaining hard rock/heavy metal. Took a few listens before getting
          it, but now I like it even more than Stay Heavy. I hope to see them
          love some day..)

          SHIVA-Desert Dreams (Anette has got a killer powerful voice, the
          guitar playing is top notch, the result: a great melodic metal album,
          quite heavier than thir first one)

          FEINSTEIN-Third Wish (John West and Rock form a killer team. Great
          traditional HM the way it was meant to be played. I hope there will be
          a follow-up soon, as the album was ready since 2003 and took more than
          a year to get released...)

          EVERGREY-The Inner Circle (Has maybe probably my fave of them. Tom
          Englund has probably the more emotive voice in metal. Excellent
          power/prog album with some of their catchiest songs)

          DREAM EVIL-The Book Of Heavy Metal (I like all of their albums and
          don't mind their cheesy image. They just rule)

          JORN-Out To Every Nation (Killer set of pipes and an excellent melodic
          metal album that I enjoy as much as Worldchanger)

          TAD MOROSE-Modus Vivendi (I still prefer Undead and Matters Of The
          Dark over it, but MV rules anyway. Urban Breed has become of of my
          fave metal singers)

          TEARS OF ANGER-Still Alive (Newcomer of the year for me. Excellent
          melodic metal stuff and one can see by the song arrangements that the
          guys are veterans even though it's the 1st album of the band)

          VOODOO HILL-Wild Seed Of Mother Earth (Some of the heaviest stuff
          Glenn Hughes ever sang on. His screams are more controlled here IMO
          (cause he sometimes bug me) and the albums rules. Much better than the
          1st one)

          SAXON-Lionheart (One more killer album for them. Saxon rules my world.
          'English Men'O'War' is one of the best songs of the year IMO. Now I
          need to see them live over here...)

          DIO-Master Of The Moon (OK, it lacks a bit of speed, but still, I play
          this album very often often, Dio still got the powerful pipes and
          tracks like 'Living The Lie' and 'Shivers' are great for me. Overall,
          an another excellent album for Dio)

          TIERRA SANTA-Apocalipsis (Less Maiden-influenced than before, they're
          finding a more personal style, but they're still the best damn Spanish
          melodic heavy metal band for me)

          EVIDENCE ONE-Tattooed Heart (Excellent melodic metal stuff with nice
          riffing and catchy melodies. They should get more attention that they
          receive)

          JAG PANZER-casting the stones (JP still delivers the goods.
          Traditional HM style, but with quite complicated arrangements makes
          this album very interesting. Good melodies by Harry that may take a
          while to get, but once they're in, you're hooked)

          FIREWIND-forged by fire (Already released in Japan, so qualifies for
          2004. I was sad to see Stephan Fredrick leave the band as I loved his
          Graham Bonnet-like voice, but Chity is great on this album (as usual),
          more aggressive than before and this leads to probably the best and
          catchiest album of the band. Heavy/power stuff of the highest quality)

          M.ILL.ION-kingsize (Same comments as for Evidence One. This band
          deserves more recognition. Previous album, 2001's Detonator was really
          underrated and this new one is as good. Melodic metal played at all
          speeds with some great Hammond organ mixed in and a very good singer)

          These came close:

          BLAZE-Blood & Belief
          ZILLION-s/t
          PLATITUDE-nine
          AXEL RUDI PELL-kings And queens
          MANIGANCE-D'un Autre Sang
          TOKEN-Punch
          THRESHOLD-Subsurface
          ASPERITY-The Final Demand
          CANS-Beyond The Gates
          RAZORBACK-Animal Anger
          STYGMA IV-Hell Within
          SILENT FORCE-Worlds Apart
          HANKER-Web of faith
          SEVEN WITCHES-Year Of The Witch
          ANTHEM-Eternal Warrior
          STATETROOPER-The Calling
          MANITOU-the mad moon rising
          DEFENDING THE FAITH-radical change
          TWISTED SISTER-still hungry

          Guillaume
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
            Well, quite an impressive list for sure, Guillaume.
            Now, just to show you how clueless and out of it I am these days: I
            have only heard 3 of those CD's: Dio, Feinstein
            and...*ahem*...Twisted Sister.
            But in the name of education, I am saving your post and hunting for
            some clips of these albums to expand my metal knowledge.

            Thanks for the tips,
            catdeli