Re: [Academy of Anvil] tired - Come on!

  • Zazzoo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2005
      Dan, they mocked but they didn't destroy them :) If they become a "3
      piece", the reviewers would be so happy to write that they copy
      Exciter!! What can they say to look interesting!! As far as I remember,
      Anvil was never the "favorite" of any reviewer because the band always
      refused to be like the other bands. The reviewers are badder than in the
      80's now because they are....so many!

      The record industry changed and the reviewers too. I wrote before that I
      applied in the early 80's in a record store (Sam the Record Man) that is
      gone since the big BIG stores are there (HMV and Music World). I had a
      form to fill that I couldn't believe it! I was questioned about record's
      collections, Classic Rock' guitarists, New wave' singers.....3 pages of
      that. To help someone to choose a vinyl, they wanted people that knew a
      lot about music (old blues and jazz) without any preference....... and
      I've never been hired! Today's reviewers are very limited concerning
      their musical knowlegde. On the web, Tony and me noticed for Back To
      Basics, the reviews are sold by one "reviewer" to 3 webzines. Do they
      really know what they're talking about. When you read a Black Metal
      review from a reviewer that rate it 4.5/5, and than later he rates Anvil
      pretty badly.....is it a big surprise? Can someone that have preferences
      like Black or Death metal get Anvil's music (Not talking about Wipy)? Do
      you want me to review Infernal Majesty or whatever? I wouldn't do that
      cos I already know that I don't like their music. The good reviewers
      are"normally" neutral. Reviewers rated pretty well "The Darkness": they
      made a hit... Is it stupid enough to understand that we shouldn't take
      any consideration of their musical taste!

      I don't think that some bad reviews can go over Anvil's music. Between
      you and me, it's easier to type some "impressions" that to compose
      songs, to write lyrics, to record albums and to play in Bars until 2 am
      during more than 25 years, no? Those that make reviews are often
      musicians that never went anywhere. Lips gets over them since a very
      long time and honestly I don't know how he does that. To create
      something, to be proud about it to after see a "fake & frustrated"
      musician that shits on the album....I would get crazy for good :0(
      Please don't remove one guitarist because of them!!

      By the way, what is "Anvil live" on Attic records? I found that on the
      web at Archambault music...I can't have the cover of the album.
      http://www.archambault.ca/store/search_result.asp?artists=ANVIL&searchtype=artist

      tange

      xcygnusxyyzx wrote:

      > im just so damn tired of reading reviews on anvil albums
      > that mock them and destroy them and give them a bad reputation.
      > its just annoying
      >

      > *Yahoo! Groups Links*

    • Jerry Fielden
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2005
        Hey Tange,

        The live album you mention may be "Past and Present"? Mind you that's a Metal Blade album and on that page you sent, it says "Attic" as the record company. Thoughts on this anyone? Lips? Tony?

        A+

        Cheers,

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2005
          Judging by the catalogue number it is actually Past and Present from
          Metal Blade (rerelease 1994)

          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Fielden" <jerryfie@h...>