interesting artifact

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2004
      I recently got my paws on an interesting recording. It's from 1973 or
      74. It's a recording of GRAVESTONE (Lips' and Robb's old band) doing a
      song called "A Dream's End". The song was written by Lips.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2004
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > I recently got my paws on an interesting recording. It's from 1973
        or
        > 74. It's a recording of GRAVESTONE (Lips' and Robb's old band)
        doing a
        > song called "A Dream's End". The song was written by Lips.

        Oh, I never heard of this band! So the guys were around 17-18 in this
        band, I'm guessing. Is this the sum total of their recordings, just
        the one song? Was Lips doing the lead vocals back then? It was
        probably hard rock type of song, pre-metal? What's the story on this
        band, Lips..a bit of history for us all, please.

        cAtdeli
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2004
          I sent a copy to Lips to find out what it was. Here is what he said:

          "That is a recording of a gig at Fisherville Junior High School in
          1973 or 74, I have most of that gig on tape. The song is called A
          Dreams End, this band was me Robb, Gary Greenblatt (bass guitar)who I
          still see quite often and in fact saw him last week because he is the
          amplifier repair guy at Steve's Music, my amp needed tubes. I gave him
          back to basics, he was glad to hear we aren't speed metaled out and
          loved the rock aspect of the cd. Also the singer on this song was Les
          Brown, although he wasn't great he did have a certain style of his
          own. I had writen the lyrics and song previously to Les singing it. It
          was originally recorded on 2 track reel to reel by this guy that I've
          been trying to get a hold of for years. The version that he has the
          singer was Ashley Jarnicki who was the very same Ashley that our first
          album was dedicated to as he died in a car crash. Previous to this
          singer I actually was singing! but unfortunatley there are no existing
          recordings of that period."

          "The recording you have was recorded on a SONY cassette console type
          machine. The guy who recorded it was Danny Brown who is a drum repair
          man for Just Drums here in Toronto. There was about 25 people in the
          audience...I think I may even have photo's but what is really cool is
          that the song Left Behind was one of the songs we did in those days
          and Anvil ended up using it. You also might find this a point of
          interest, the front part of the song A Dreams End , the guitar is
          being played with a chello bow...Jimmy Page influenced although it
          doesn't sound the same as Page but never the less that is what makes
          that weird sort of swelling sound to the chords being bowed not
          picked. I hadn't gotten down the use of the vibrator yet !!!!! In that
          recording I hear Richie Blackmore more than anything else. I was
          trying to capture the kind of soloing in the song Bloodsucker by Deep
          Purple. I used a Fender Telecaster with a Gibson pic up in the middle
          possition. I wish I still had that guitar, I got it for my Bar
          Mitzvah, and sold it to buy my red Gibson ES335, which I still have,
          and recorded with on Back to Basics."