Anvil at L'Amour (part 2)

  • captain2man
    Message 1 of 1587 , Jan 1, 2001
      L'Amour recently installed a new sound system, so
      they sounded absolutely crushing - much better than
      when they played there in March.<br><br>I don't
      exactly remember the order of the setlist, but they
      opened up with 2 new songs - "Plenty of Power" and
      "Computer Drone". Later on in the set, they also played
      "Real Metal". I have to tell you - the style of metal
      than Anvil plays might be outdated to the current
      metal ears - whatever - they still write unbelievable
      songs after all these years. I can't wait for the new
      record - and if these songs are any indication it's
      going to be killer.<br><br>Other songs played that
      night are songs that have become regulars in the Anvil
      set-list - "Old School", "Smoking Green", "Paper General",
      "Forged in Fire", "666", "March of the Crabs" (with
      probably the best Reiner drum solo I have ever seen), and,
      of course, closing with the epic "Metal on
      Metal".<br><br>Yeah - it didn't seem liked they played too long - but
      I would have to say that was due to the fact that
      crowd was very sparse...probably only 15 or so people
      were in the audience. Also, after about the third
      song, Lips started having some severe problems with his
      guitar coming in and out. He had to change one of his
      cords, it took a few minutes - and it did kill of the
      early momentum of the performance - resulting in
      several people leaving very early in the set.<br><br>I
      have to give the guys a lot of credit. They must
      really love what they do. I have seem them several times
      over the past year down here - and there has never
      been a large crowd at any of the shows I have seen
      them at. Probably the largest was last December at the
      Continental in NYC, where there was probably 30-35
      people.<br><br>Nevertheless, they keep coming down - and as long as they do (I
      hope they never get so discouraged about audience size
      that they just stop making the trek down here -
      although that would be understandable if they did) you
      know I'll be there.<br><br>I would like to see them
      change around the set-list a little bit. Would love to
      hear some more stuff from some of the newer records,
      at least one song off of "Worth the Weight" - maybe
      a couple more off of "Pound for Pound", "Strength
      of Steel", or "Forged in Fire". But, a 60 minute set
      probably just isn't enough time to get everything in.
      hundred people, and play for a solid 2 hours. I don't
      know if I'll ever get to see that, coming from the
      States - maybe it's more like that at some of the
      European shows, where their popularlity is much
      larger.<br><br>Anyway - that's it for now. I know both Lips & Glenn 5
      are on-line, I would love for them to post here once
      in awhile with comments - maybe a little bit about
      this past roadtrip & whether or not they intend on
      touring the U.S. when the new record comes out (with or
      without Deceased & Hirax).<br><br>Have a great new
      L'Amour show, but that guy George did - in case you
      wanted to get a tape of it.
    • √Člaine
      Message 1587 of 1587 , Jan 23, 2003

        > Where is everyone tonight?