Re: THE SWEET

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
      Yeah, we were checking out the Sweet website yesterday.
      http://www.thesweet.com/
      There is a 20 minute video interview with the 4 original guys. I
      guess they tried to regroup in the early 90's, maybe '93? They spoke
      of plans to record new songs and all. You could see that Brian was in
      bad shape then. He was looking a bit worse for wear and had some
      small shakes from all the abuse. Watching it, I was wondering if he
      would actually have the strength to mount a tour. It looked doubtful.
      They were speaking optimistically of their future together but I
      guess maybe it never really worked out? Brian died in Feb. '97 from
      liver failure and Mick in Feb. 2002 from Leukemia. Yeah, Lips, they
      were speaking about bands who "borrowed" a bit of their style
      particularly Motley Crue like you said.

      cAtdeli
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
        Their music was great! There's a video available with Quick Time, and they do 50's rock songs like Jerry Lee Lewis (Great balls of fire)...it's in black and white. I've always thought that I was borned not in the good decade!

        Tange

        anvilips2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        This has always been one of my all time favourite early English rock
        bands. Mick Tucker is an unbelievable drummer, and has had a major
        influence on Robb. The style of drumming is very simular to Ian Paice
        from Deep Purple and in actual fact Mick would purposly try to out do
        Ian. About 12 to 15 years ago The Sweet came to play a club in
        Toronto called Rock n Roll Heaven. Robb and I talked to Mick for
        about ten of fifteen minutes. Some of that conversation was about his
        competetivness with Ian Paice in the late 70's. By the time we got to
        see them in the late 80's Brian Connely(Vocals) was already dead and
        they had a bassist who did all the vocals. The guitarist Andy Scott
        was amazing then and I'm sure now. He's a player much like Blackmore,
        maybe even a bit heavier at times. If you are framilar with this band
        you would realize the influences on the entire metal genre. Even
        Motley Crue tried to sound like them , they used intro's and
        sometimes the feels and drum paterns of various Sweet songs. Anvil's
        song Don't ask Me, the end of Bushpig, and Park that Truck. Motley's
        Kick Start your Heart is almost the same as Hell Raiser by the Sweet.
        There are probably hundreds of examples of Sweet influenced riffs and
        drum feels in all the bands out there even if they aren't aware of
        it. Good luck trying to find the cd's!!!!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT