THE SWEET

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
      This has always been one of my all time favourite early English rock
      bands. Mick Tucker is an unbelievable drummer, and has had a major
      influence on Robb. The style of drumming is very simular to Ian Paice
      from Deep Purple and in actual fact Mick would purposly try to out do
      Ian. About 12 to 15 years ago The Sweet came to play a club in
      Toronto called Rock n Roll Heaven. Robb and I talked to Mick for
      about ten of fifteen minutes. Some of that conversation was about his
      competetivness with Ian Paice in the late 70's. By the time we got to
      see them in the late 80's Brian Connely(Vocals) was already dead and
      they had a bassist who did all the vocals. The guitarist Andy Scott
      was amazing then and I'm sure now. He's a player much like Blackmore,
      maybe even a bit heavier at times. If you are framilar with this band
      you would realize the influences on the entire metal genre. Even
      Motley Crue tried to sound like them , they used intro's and
      sometimes the feels and drum paterns of various Sweet songs. Anvil's
      song Don't ask Me, the end of Bushpig, and Park that Truck. Motley's
      Kick Start your Heart is almost the same as Hell Raiser by the Sweet.
      There are probably hundreds of examples of Sweet influenced riffs and
      drum feels in all the bands out there even if they aren't aware of
      it. Good luck trying to find the cd's!!!!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
        Yeah, we were checking out the Sweet website yesterday.
        http://www.thesweet.com/
        There is a 20 minute video interview with the 4 original guys. I
        guess they tried to regroup in the early 90's, maybe '93? They spoke
        of plans to record new songs and all. You could see that Brian was in
        bad shape then. He was looking a bit worse for wear and had some
        small shakes from all the abuse. Watching it, I was wondering if he
        would actually have the strength to mount a tour. It looked doubtful.
        They were speaking optimistically of their future together but I
        guess maybe it never really worked out? Brian died in Feb. '97 from
        liver failure and Mick in Feb. 2002 from Leukemia. Yeah, Lips, they
        were speaking about bands who "borrowed" a bit of their style
        particularly Motley Crue like you said.

        cAtdeli
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
          Their music was great! There's a video available with Quick Time, and they do 50's rock songs like Jerry Lee Lewis (Great balls of fire)...it's in black and white. I've always thought that I was borned not in the good decade!

          Tange

          anvilips2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT