Re: [Academy of Anvil] update on Brave Words

  • thehelion
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2004
      You have to make it to the show. I'll buy you a beer or two or three.
      It's been a long time since seeing Razor opening up for Slayer at
      Larry's Hideaway. That was a crazy night.

      -- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, Heavymetalhead.com
      <heavymetalhead@h...> wrote:
      > > As reported here first yesterday, RAZOR has confirmed that
      > > they will be performing a show in Toronto with ANVIL and
      > > EXCITER on July 24th at the FunHause in Toronto. A possible
      > > SACRIFICE reunion may also occur.
      >
      > *drools uncontrollably*
      >
      > I think I have died and gone to thrash/speed metal Heaven. I've
      been waiting for a show like this for the past how many years
      now...... all my favoritest of true Canadian metal bands under one
      roof? It's unfathomable - somebody pinch me 'cuz I must be
      dreaming. The icing on this already impressive (wedding heehee
      [congrats Tange and Catdeli!! I'm happy for you both]) cake would
      indeed be to see Sacrifice reform and play this show. I have a boot
      of Razor, Anvil and Sacrifice from the late 80s/early 90s and it's
      the closest I ever thought I would come to seeing them perform.
      Well, pardon my French but I'll be fucked and be damned if I ain't
      finding a way to make it from Regina to Toronto to see this go down.
      I'll hitchhike if I have to. Here's hoping I don't have to eat my
      words.

      > ICQ/UIN: 131855064 ~~ AIM/MSN/Yahoo! Mssngr: heavymetalhead73
      > http://profiles.yahoo.com/heavymetalhead_com/
      > http://members.msn.com/heavymetalhead73@m...

      > MY HOMEPAGE: ~~~ http://www.heavymetalhead.com/ ~~~ (opening in
      2004)
    • elaine
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2004
        I wonder if Ian Dickson has seen the DVD? He must feel nostalgic
        sometimes when he sees LIPS and Robb still on a stage and kicking
        ass. Does he feel bitter to see that Anvil got a REAL guitarist now,
        instead of Allison?? It's too bad that he can't write to tell...I
        wonder how he feels about G5. He's maybe doing another kind of art
        now, but he stayed with Anvil from the start until 1995! It's not
        because he didn't like the band...and music. He had his style,
        different from Glen but excellent too. I prefer the "rolling" that
        G5's style got, his style is more agressive. That kind of music needs
        that.

        I don't know if Ian is going to see the DVD, but if he does he will
        certainly have some emotions. I think a musician stays a musicians
        all life long. Whatever he does now, I'm sure that he still plays
        bass with some friends "for fun". He gave great shows and it's sad
        that we never hear of him. Why didn't he make a "LIPS" with one of
        his model. A 80's LIPS with the dog thing at the neck, lol!!

        Tange :)

        P.S. Would be cool that you post something LIPS, cos I've lost all
        your datas on the Anvil Metal Pounders. Can I have an update? Thanks.
        Did you see the DVD, finally?
      • thehelion
        Message 3 of 10 , May 13, 2004
          Tange, I think that the only way Ian is going to see the DVD is if
          someone tells him about it. He's not a computer guy so he's not even
          sure when Anvil releases new product. I try and give him a copy of
          anything that I get my hands on so I'll get him one once I get some
          with the DVDs. I'm not sure if he feels any regrets or hard feelings
          towards the band, it's just a part of his past that he fully enjoyed.
          At least that's what he's told me. I know he likes to come out to the
          gigs every now and then and it has to bring back memories when he
          hears the old songs. I know that he thinks very highly of the talent
          level of the band as we know it.
          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "elaine" <tangelaine2000@y...>

          Message 4 of 10 , May 13, 2004
            Well Jeff, it just mean that he's happy and that's the most important thing. I really wonder why he doesn't make a model of "LIPS 80's" or Anvil...I'm sure he's got already a buyer that lives around Thunder Bay. Can you see who's the guy? I doubt that he would order 2 copies of that kind of models...it must be very expensive! ;0)

            thehelion <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Tange, I think that the only way Ian is going to see the DVD is if
            wrote:
            > I wonder if Ian Dickson has seen the DVD? He must feel nostalgic
            > sometimes when he sees LIPS and Robb still on a stage and kicking
            > ass. Does he feel bitter to see that Anvil got a REAL guitarist
            now,
            > instead of Allison?? It's too bad that he can't write to tell...I
            > wonder how he feels about G5. He's maybe doing another kind of art
            > now, but he stayed with Anvil from the start until 1995! It's not
            > because he didn't like the band...and music. He had his style,
            > different from Glen but excellent too. I prefer the "rolling" that
            > G5's style got, his style is more agressive. That kind of music
            needs
            > that.
            >
            > I don't know if Ian is going to see the DVD, but if he does he will
            > certainly have some emotions. I think a musician stays a musicians
            > all life long. Whatever he does now, I'm sure that he still plays
            > bass with some friends "for fun". He gave great shows and it's sad
            > that we never hear of him. Why didn't he make a "LIPS" with one of
            > his model. A 80's LIPS with the dog thing at the neck, lol!!
            >
            > Tange :)
            >
            > P.S. Would be cool that you post something LIPS, cos I've lost all
            > your datas on the Anvil Metal Pounders. Can I have an update?
            Thanks.
            > Did you see the DVD, finally?

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Heavymetalhead.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2004
              > what's the date of this bootleg. I may have to get a copy. :)

              SACRIFICE: 8/27/89 Sibony Club, Toronto
              RAZOR: 12/29/89 Concert Hall, Toronto
              ANVIL: 5/17/90 Hot Rocks, Brampton

              I purchased this about 4-5 years ago from some guy in Perth, Ontario who is now a born again Christian. His name escapes me. At the time I scored this on eBay alongside a bunch of other rare 80s thrash metal gems (at the time Razor's "Evil Invaders" on the Roadrunner Price! Killers series was fetching $150US) like Slaughter, Sacrifice, a few other things too for $104. Best money I had ever spent. =)

              AFAIK this tape is first generation master. The guy told me his buddy was the one who recorded it on his video camera. Lotsa funny footage at the beginning with a bunch of rowdy metal guys and Joe Ricci of Sacrifice clowing around. The quality is mint through and through, though I'm thinking he was referring to the Sacrifice show only.

              If this interests you, let me know.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 16, 2004
                > You have to make it to the show. I'll buy you a beer or two
                > or three. It's been a long time since seeing Razor opening
                > up for Slayer at Larry's Hideaway. That was a crazy night.

                Sounds great man, I'll buy you one two or three in return once I drink you under the table. LOL. Just kidding of course. It'll probably be the other way around, so you better let me buy first. I'm 75% confident I can make this happen. I have someone in Kitchener whom I've been wanting to meet and I have family in Guelph, too. Now all's I need to do is see if I can find where Dave Carlo lives. LOL!!

                Message 7 of 10 , May 17, 2004
                  Got this one already.