The Castle Heights show (part 1)

  • captain2man
    Message 1 of 1587 , Apr 10, 2001
      OK - sorry for my long silence - but I have 2
      very, very good excuses:<br><br>1) I am in the middle
      of booking my band's U.S. tour - which will be 35
      shows. That's a TON of work & a TON of computer
      time....and by time I'm done, I just want to run away from my
      computer as fast as possible.<br><br>2) For the past 2
      days, my hard drive has been on the fritz, preventing
      my computer from even booting up.<br><br>But - here
      I am - and, Gallo, if you're reading this, an
      e-mail I sent to you got bounced back. The tape of the
      Castle Heights show is in mail.<br><br>OK - so, I show
      up at Castle Heights, which is a relatively small
      bar/club in Jackson Heights, which is in Queens. This area
      of Queens is somewhat shady, and usually difficult
      to find parking in. <br><br>So, after the parking
      spot was secured, I entered the club to catch one of
      the opening bands - Agressor. Not bad....only about 3
      people in the audience for them. They kind of reminded
      me of a lot of those U.S. west coast metal bands of
      the mid-80's - like Agent Steel, Abattoir....maybe
      even a little early Testament influence. They handed
      out free CDs to those who were watching - so that was
      nice.<br><br>After a brief "hello" to Lips while he was setting up -
      the mighty force that is Anvil took the
      stage.<br><br>Once again - New York heavy-metal fans completely miss
      the boat, and the club has maybe 10 paying audience
      members in it. I'm pretty sure I was the only one
      familiar with Anvil's music.<br><br>Nevertheless, this was
      no discouragement to Anvil, as they absolutely
      rocked & performed at a very high level - as they always
      do.<br><br>3 songs were played from the new record - the title
      track, "Computer Drone", and "Real Metal".
      Coincidentally, I will say that these are probably my favorite 3
      songs on the new album, and live - they really are
      quite crushing. At some point - I will post my review
      of the new record, but, for now, after several
      listenings, I will definitely agree with Lips' opinion of
      what the best song on the record is - I will give that
      award to "Computer Drone". Prior to the song, Lips gave
      a nice plug to the Academy of Anvil, and talked a
      little bit about it. Thanks Lips!!! (I want a thank you
      on the next record!! Just
      kidding..........)<br><br>Also from recent records, Anvil blazed through "Speed
      of Sound" (blistering!), "Old School" (it would be
      nice to hear some other songs off of AnA once in
      awhile - G5 mentioned "Green Jesus" being a favorite),
      and "Smoking Green".<br><br>From the original line-up
      era, they played "Paper General" (and, Lips, don't get
      me started with yelling out songs I want to hear
      from Strength of Steel....I was tempted to yell out
      "Wild Eyes"), "Forged in Fire" (and, yeah, G5 did hit a
      bad note to start the song out - but that's OK - even
      performers at the most professional of levels mess up
      sometimes), "Winged Assassins", "March of the Crabs" (with
      drum solo), and, the closer....the classic...."Metal
      on Metal".
    • √Člaine
      Message 1587 of 1587 , Jan 23, 2003

        > Where is everyone tonight?