Re: BTB

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 21 1:26 PM
      >I could also have lived without the part where Lips is
      > masturbating the plastic dildo...

      It probably looks weird on a DVD, but live it was just great because
      it wasn't unpleasant. It's a vibrator and the sounds were just
      amazing, at the Cercle Electric "LIPS" had some smoke (or it was
      people making smoke...) and the whole thing was very discreet. In
      Europe, people have a different mind about those toys than we have.
      In the crowd we can't see all of what is happening live on a stage.
      You have the "headbangers" each side of you, and as I'm concerned I
      look at one musician at a time. On DVD, you are allowed to see all
      little mistakes because it's "TV". How's that yours can play PAL? You
      bought it like that, or you bought it in Germany?

      >Anyway, I enjoy to have an Anvil
      > show to watch and most important, the Back To Basics album is
      >getting
      > even better and better the more I play it.

      It's an awesome album for this reason I think, because it's rare
      that "more you play it, more you like it", now.

      BTW, is it just me, or
      > the track The Chainsaw has parts that remind me a lot of Judas
      > Priest's Rapid Fire (riffs and vocal melodies)? This is cool
      > anyway. Gamma Ray has a song on their latest album, No World
      Order,
      > called Solid, that sounds even more like Rapid Fire...Guess it was
      > track with some influence on the metal scene.

      It's not just "you". It's probably a very interesting Judas Priest
      song for the musicians (Rapid Fire). My fave on this one
      was "Grinder" and obviously "Living after midnight".

      tange
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 21 2:50 PM
        I will be ordering 2 copies from the other labels too?

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 21 4:36 PM
          No..? I won 5$ If you have received the DVD and that you own also the
          video cassette of this 1996 show, is the image better on DVD? What
          kind of DVD do you have, please?

          tange
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 21 8:35 PM
            what did you bet exactly? I haven't ordered the US and Brazil versions
            but I WILL be.

            The DVD quality is great. I to have a VHS copy...it looks very good
            but the DVD is better.

            --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "tangelaine2000"

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 22 4:12 AM
              Oh man! I give back the 5$ to CAt...What the heck are you going to do
              with so many CDs? CAt told me that you would get 2 copies of each
              record company and I answered:"He's a collector not a fanatic..."
              Well, maybe you are :)

              Good if the DVD looks better, we didn't buy the DVD player yet. When
              we'll go we'll bring Waken's DVD to try it in the players. Lips and
              his vibrator in the store, sure!

              tange
            • glabrek
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 22 6:35 AM
                <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
                > >I could also have lived without the part where Lips is
                > > masturbating the plastic dildo...
                >
                > It probably looks weird on a DVD, but live it was just great
                because
                > it wasn't unpleasant. It's a vibrator and the sounds were just
                > amazing, at the Cercle Electric "LIPS" had some smoke (or it was
                > people making smoke...) and the whole thing was very discreet. In
                > Europe, people have a different mind about those toys than we have.
                > In the crowd we can't see all of what is happening live on a stage.
                > You have the "headbangers" each side of you, and as I'm concerned I
                > look at one musician at a time. On DVD, you are allowed to see all
                > little mistakes because it's "TV". How's that yours can play PAL?
                You
                > bought it like that, or you bought it in Germany?

                I bought it from my buddy who lives in New Hampshire. This is a
                Daewoo that plays anything (Pal or NTSC) from any regions. Real nice.

                > It's not just "you". It's probably a very interesting Judas Priest
                > song for the musicians (Rapid Fire). My fave on this one
                > was "Grinder" and obviously "Living after midnight".

                That album is a classic. Grinder, Metal Gods, The Rage...Name them
                all.

                Guillaume
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 22 7:48 AM
                  "British Steel"? It's not my favorite Guillaume...It's "Stained
                  Class"...there's not an album for me, that can replace it. It must be
                  the sound and the songs like "White heat, red
                  hot","Exciter","Invader", "Beyond the realms of death"......"Saints
                  in hell!". I can't get bored of this album. "British Steel" is
                  excellent too, but "Stained Class" and "Unleashed in the East" are
                  hard to kick.

                  tange

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 22 11:36 AM
                      I guess I'm a fanatic. I like to have one to open and one to leave
                      sealed. Plus it's good to have a backup. :)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 22 11:36 AM
                        I've always liked "Screaming For Vengeance"
                      • glabrek
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 22 11:44 AM
                          <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
                          > "British Steel"? It's not my favorite Guillaume...It's "Stained
                          > Class"...there's not an album for me, that can replace it. It must
                          be
                          > the sound and the songs like "White heat, red
                          > hot","Exciter","Invader", "Beyond the realms of death"......"Saints
                          > in hell!". I can't get bored of this album. "British Steel" is
                          > excellent too, but "Stained Class" and "Unleashed in the East" are
                          > hard to kick.
                          >
                          > tange

                          Stained Class is a damned fine album too. But my fave JP albums are
                          Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, Defenders Of The Faith,
                          Painkiller and Hell Bent For Leather. Sad Wings is excellent too.
                          In fact, all JP albums are very good to excellent for me, save for
                          the shitty Jugulator and Demolition, the "too light" Turbo, the
                          average Ram It Down and the too rock'n'rollish Rocka Rolla.

                          I can't wait to hear the new reunion album with Halford back.

                          Guillaume
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 22 12:48 PM
                            Yup, Stained Class was my favorite JP also. When it came out we
                            thought that it was the ultimate album of all time for Metal . I'm
                            still not sick of it. I liked Sin After Sin a lot also and then Hell
                            Bent...

                            cAt
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 22 1:15 PM
                              It's a great day because Catdeli and I are agree about music!! I like
                              also "Screaming for Vengeance", because I saw the show in 1982. I
                              didn't move during the whole show, even to get a beer. I was like @_@
                              I had the metal gods in front of me and Halford is probably the best
                              vocalist, performer that I've heard and seen live.

                              In 1984, I was working in a bar (as a barmaid) with cover bands. I've
                              heard nights after nights "You got another thing coming" and "Devil's
                              child" because all the bands did the both songs. I can't pretend that
                              it was "Halford" singing or "Tipton" at the guitar, ha? It was a real
                              massacre and I think that I've lost interest about this album because
                              of the cover bands...The albums that have followed SFV were
                              too "studio" for me. I don't know how to explain...it was like
                              everything was tricked or boosted by some computers or synthesizers.
                              The JP that I preferred was far away.

                              About "Painkiller", I've been deceived to see JP take some Pantera or
                              Slayer's riff just to stay "in". They have adopted the music's styles
                              of bands that they deeply influenced and I've lost "the faith" in the
                              metal gods. But a JP's show was and will always be AWESOME.

                              tange
                            • glabrek
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 23 6:14 AM
                                <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
                                > It's a great day because Catdeli and I are agree about music!! I
                                like
                                > also "Screaming for Vengeance", because I saw the show in 1982. I
                                > didn't move during the whole show, even to get a beer. I was like
                                @_@
                                > I had the metal gods in front of me and Halford is probably the
                                best
                                > vocalist, performer that I've heard and seen live.
                                >
                                > In 1984, I was working in a bar (as a barmaid) with cover bands.
                                I've
                                > heard nights after nights "You got another thing coming"
                                and "Devil's
                                > child" because all the bands did the both songs. I can't pretend
                                that
                                > it was "Halford" singing or "Tipton" at the guitar, ha? It was a
                                real
                                > massacre and I think that I've lost interest about this album
                                because
                                > of the cover bands...

                                I'm sure that some cover bands butchered the JP songs back then.
                                It's not everyone who can sing Halford (or Dio for example) tunes the
                                right way. But a cover band like Headbangers in Quebec City does the
                                Priest stuff really well, as they do for the Sabbath, Dio, Maiden,
                                Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth...Very good musicians.

                                The albums that have followed SFV were
                                > too "studio" for me. I don't know how to explain...it was like
                                > everything was tricked or boosted by some computers or
                                synthesizers.
                                > The JP that I preferred was far away.

                                This is not true for Defenders Of The Faith, which was pretty much in
                                the same style as SfV and with some killer heavy songs like Freewheel
                                Burning, The Sentinel.... This is true however for Turbo...

                                > About "Painkiller", I've been deceived to see JP take some Pantera
                                or
                                > Slayer's riff just to stay "in". They have adopted the music's
                                styles
                                > of bands that they deeply influenced and I've lost "the faith" in
                                the
                                > metal gods.

                                I never heard any Pantera of Slayer in Painkiller. Their goal was
                                more to reach the European melodic power metal style a la Helloween
                                or Gamma Ray than the US stuff. Painkiller influenced so many of the
                                current European power metal bands like Primal Fear and the likes.
                                Priest tried to adopt the Pantera style 7 years later, with the
                                shitty Jugulator...

                                But a JP's show was and will always be AWESOME.

                                Only saw Priest live once, on that Painkiller tour in 1992 or so, and
                                it ruled big time. Openers were Megadeth and Testament and it was
                                great. Too bad the crowd was so small....I saw Halford (the band)
                                live in 2000, opening for Maiden on the Brave New World tour and this
                                was another great show. BTW, the double-live album Live Insurrection
                                by the Halford band is a must-have IMO. Killer renditions of lots of
                                Priest classics (Beyond the Realms Of Death, Running Wild, The
                                Sentinel, Electric Eye, Breaking The Law...), as well as some great
                                Halford trx, plus a couple ones from Fight.

                                Guillaume
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 23 7:53 AM
                                  > I'm sure that some cover bands butchered the JP songs back then.
                                  > It's not everyone who can sing Halford (or Dio for example) tunes
                                  the
                                  > right way. But a cover band like Headbangers in Quebec City does
                                  the
                                  > Priest stuff really well, as they do for the Sabbath, Dio, Maiden,
                                  > Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth...Very good musicians.

                                  Headbangers? Where were they? I've never heard of them when I was in
                                  QC City. I guess that they were playing "on your side of the river".

                                  Some cover bands were "criminal" with the original songs. At the "Bar
                                  Ô Coin" the bands slept over the bar and ate beside the bar. The
                                  owner was a MF and because of this, they were paid at a very low
                                  salary. This bar was so old and so small, but always full. 2/1 on the
                                  big beers on Tuesday! We were able to see all the electric wires over
                                  our heads and the emergency exit was always blocked by the amplifiers.

                                  Old table, old chair...It was called "Le Brumeau" in the 70's and has
                                  been the first bar with dancers (panties & covered nipples). I was on
                                  my day shift once and the owner asked me if I knew Anvil (1984). I
                                  answered: "Nooo....who are they?". "A big metal from Toronto, it will
                                  be full here and I could sell tickets at a high price!" I was looking
                                  around me and I answered:"They suck! I heard of them and they're not
                                  good at all..." I didn't want to see Anvil playing in that porchery,
                                  and it was a place for cover bands!!! @_@ Anvil here? Over my dead
                                  body!!

                                  I've seen them a month later in Bar L'aurée at St-Augustin. A place
                                  where it was possible to breath. My dear ex-MF-boss sold the whole
                                  piece of land for a very big amount and now there's stores at this
                                  place (Hamel blvd.). I was making 130$ of tips everynight + my
                                  salary...that why I was working there.

                                  I'm not a big CD's customer (I'm not but Catdeli is...) and I liked
                                  to download a song just to compare some styles. I'll be frank, I've
                                  never listen to Pantera except when "Cat scratch fever" played on
                                  98.1 FM. Helloween, I've heard of them when Tony posted a part of
                                  their lyrics that were a simple copy of "Shadow zone" from FiF. If
                                  you tell me that it's more like Helloween, I belive you.

                                  tange
                                • glabrek
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 23 8:23 AM
                                    <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:

                                    > > I'm sure that some cover bands butchered the JP songs back then.
                                    > > It's not everyone who can sing Halford (or Dio for example) tunes
                                    > the
                                    > > right way. But a cover band like Headbangers in Quebec City does
                                    > the
                                    > > Priest stuff really well, as they do for the Sabbath, Dio,
                                    Maiden,
                                    > > Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth...Very good musicians.
                                    > >
                                    > Headbangers? Where were they? I've never heard of them when I was
                                    in
                                    > QC City. I guess that they were playing "on your side of the river".

                                    Nope. I go see Headbangers play at the Dagobert 3 times a year or
                                    so, with their "tribute to heavy metal 70-90 show". As the Dag don't
                                    advertise a lot (they don't need to, as the place is already very
                                    popular), it's no surprise you didn't learn about them playing...

                                    > Some cover bands were "criminal" with the original songs. At
                                    the "Bar
                                    > Ô Coin" the bands slept over the bar and ate beside the bar. The
                                    > owner was a MF and because of this, they were paid at a very low
                                    > salary. This bar was so old and so small, but always full. 2/1 on
                                    the
                                    > big beers on Tuesday! We were able to see all the electric wires
                                    over
                                    > our heads and the emergency exit was always blocked by the
                                    amplifiers.

                                    > Old table, old chair...It was called "Le Brumeau" in the 70's and
                                    has
                                    > been the first bar with dancers (panties & covered nipples). I was
                                    on
                                    > my day shift once and the owner asked me if I knew Anvil (1984). I
                                    > answered: "Nooo....who are they?". "A big metal from Toronto, it
                                    will
                                    > be full here and I could sell tickets at a high price!" I was
                                    looking
                                    > around me and I answered:"They suck! I heard of them and they're
                                    not
                                    > good at all..." I didn't want to see Anvil playing in that
                                    porchery,
                                    > and it was a place for cover bands!!! @_@ Anvil here? Over my dead
                                    > body!!

                                    I've been at the Bar O Coin only a couple times, seeing some local
                                    bands and Razor once. It was indeed very small...I really preferred
                                    the Bar Rock Rive-Sud 'on my side of the river' :o)

                                    > I've seen them a month later in Bar L'aurée at St-Augustin. A place
                                    > where it was possible to breath. My dear ex-MF-boss sold the whole
                                    > piece of land for a very big amount and now there's stores at this
                                    > place (Hamel blvd.). I was making 130$ of tips everynight + my
                                    > salary...that why I was working there.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not a big CD's customer (I'm not but Catdeli is...) and I liked
                                    > to download a song just to compare some styles. I'll be frank, I've
                                    > never listen to Pantera except when "Cat scratch fever" played on
                                    > 98.1 FM. Helloween, I've heard of them when Tony posted a part of
                                    > their lyrics that were a simple copy of "Shadow zone" from FiF. If
                                    > you tell me that it's more like Helloween, I belive you.

                                    Never heard Cat Scratch Fever by Pantera...BTW, just heard about a
                                    great show coming on August 11 at the Agora: DEEP PURPLE/THIN
                                    LIZZY/JOE SATRIANI. I'll be there for sure. I don'T care for
                                    Satriani but love DP and I'll be happy to finally see Lizzy live for
                                    the 1st time. I heard a live album from 2000 and John Sykes (and the
                                    whole band) delivers the Lynott stuff greatly. And heavier than it
                                    was back then, which is a good thing for me.

                                    Guillaume
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 23 4:32 PM
                                      Did you hear Cat Scratch as done by Motorhead? I say "Yuk!". When I
                                      saw MH in '92 I was at the front and they played it. I got mad!~ I
                                      yelled "Play MOTORHEAD songs!!!!". Cripes, I didn't go there to see
                                      cover songs from them, ya know? It was funny, the security was ready
                                      to take me out, I think...('shrooms)
                                      cAt
                                      Still waiting for my CD of BTB! grrrrrrrr......
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 23 5:20 PM
                                        Pantera's cover from Cat scrach fever isn't "yuk", it is exactly the
                                        same thing that the original! The only difference is the voice. I
                                        found the mp3 and I tried to upload it here but the "Files" doesn't
                                        take over 5 megs...I can't say it's bad, because I love the original
                                        by Nugent.

                                        They have decided to present some shows because I don't live in QC
                                        City anymore? I heard that Priest would go too...(rumor)

                                        A cover I like is Paint in black on HnH, because the beat, the sound,
                                        the mood and the arrangement are different. I can't pretend
                                        that "Wild eyes" made the same good effect, but at least it
                                        wasn't "copies" of the original songs.

                                        Catdeli arrested by the security...hmm. Jeez! The only times that
                                        he's agressive it's on his drums.

                                        I've read something interesting on a magazine (in English I checked a
                                        lot more the pictures...) called "Classic Rock". This magazine is
                                        printed in England and it's sold 7.95$ US. It was freaking just to
                                        hold it. They wrote about the stories of the concepts of a couple
                                        albums. A lot of progressive rock but the metal part was amazing for
                                        me. First, I didn't know that "Operation: Mindcrime" was a concept,
                                        because I didn't understand a word in English. Maybe it was also
                                        because I didn't really like Queenryche (???) I didn't read the
                                        lyrics in the cassette (1988)! WASP had "The Crimson Idol", I've
                                        never listened to WASP. Savatage got "Streets" - A rock Opera".
                                        Maiden did one too..."Seven son of a seven son". Now that I know that
                                        there's a story about, I'm going to search for the lyrics and use
                                        Babel the Fish if I get all mixed up in the languages.

                                        There's 30 albums described in this magazine. We don't hear a lot
                                        about concept in rock or metal music now...

                                        tange
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 23 5:33 PM
                                          Oh my God, Tange! W.A.S.P. has done it again! Yes, they have another
                                          concept album out now, "The Neon God, part 1". part 2 will come
                                          soon....AnViL will begin their Rock Opera soon, I heard!

                                          cAt
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 23, 2005
                                            BACK TO BASICS has just been released in Brazil by Hellion Records. It
                                            includes the bonus DVD.