Re: downloading music

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
      "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
      recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."
      ---------------------
      I did a ton of recording on cassettes too in the 80's. But, to record
      on cassettes and to trade for free are two different things. A CDr
      will keep a good sound for long, but not a cassette...I remember that
      when I taped an album, it was something difficult (adjusting the
      sound, checking the needle...etc.) if I compare to how it's easy to
      burn a CDr. The "dubbing" on the tape recorders appeared in the late
      80's. But, taping from a cassette on another cassette...didn't sound
      like a CDr. It's too easy, that's why it's a problem. In US, the FBI
      tracks the excessive downloads of the mp3s, but in Canada I wonder
      why the CRTC is mute about it. It's clear that Internet isn't just a
      tool now: it's a media. If copyrights and artists are protected on
      the medias, why aren't they on the Internet? It's not the downloaders
      that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
      like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

      tange
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
        > "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
        > recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."

        That is true but now then the availabilty was limited. Now you can go
        out and get ANYTHING you want.

        >It's not the downloaders
        > that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
        > like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

        I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
        files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
        ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course not.
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
          Yes, there is easier availability. But it is 99% SH**. We had
          cassettes as the state of the art recording medium at that time. We
          also had a bunch of guys who between us would actually get most of
          the METAL albums we wanted. One of us would surely have bought
          something that another friend would want also..Budgie, Gillan, Tank,
          Tygers etc. So it all was, I think , an almost equal situation in
          regards to that. Sure it was "harder" to record an LP but we didn't
          know any better at that time and we did what we had to do for a free
          copy of something that we could not afford to buy anyway.

          Yes, I bought the new STYX, Tange and it ROCKS! 8^O

          cAtdeli
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
            "I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
            files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
            ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course
            not."
            ----------------------
            There's a difference between black and white. I wrote that it was the
            easy side of the downloading that was the problem. Eliminate the
            bigger servers that provide mp3s, and it's getting complicated to
            have one of them. By the way, it reduces the traffic. If I ask you
            some Anvil mp3s to put on the Anvil Metal Pounders in background (to
            rotate), you'll have first to get a software to change the tracks in
            mp3s, to rip it (bitrate, mhz, etc.) and email one by one.

            First it's a sharing that is not going to create some damage to
            Anvil. Second, it's damn more complicated to send a 6 mgs file on
            email than going on Kazaa to download 8 mp3s while you're in the
            shower.

            It's not your ISPs fault if you use your mail server to mail me mp3s,
            as it's not Post Canada's fault if I mail you a copy of a CD. The use
            of all that "sharing" always depends on people. But mp3's sharing or
            burned Cds sharing is not accepted by the Record Companies. I get a
            mp3 to listen, then I burn a whole CD to sell the copies...what is
            going to bug the industry?

            tange