Re: downloading music

  • thehelion
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
      I have to agree that downloading music isn't what's killing the music
      sales. Maybe it's just that everything out there isn't worth buying.
      I don't download music but I do tell people that strictly download
      music that if everyone got the music for free then the bands wouldn't
      exist. What band or music company would invest money without any
      return. It's the "music business" when it all comes down to it
      anyways. I recently did a pick up at a music distributor and the guy
      in charge told me that the whole "downloading is killing the
      business" is way overblown and it's just an excuse for the record
      companies to jack the price of cds up and rip off the consumer. He
      told me that over the past 10 years that the cd sales aren't even
      down anymore than 1%-2% at the most and that's there's more reasons
      for that like the prices of cds than people downloading music.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
        Isn't it true that the only thing that has changed with regard to
        copying albums is the media used? In the 50's they had reel to reel
        tape recorders to record vinyl LP's. In the 60's there appeared
        cassetes to record on. Now we have the CDr. The ability to copy for
        free was always there. I did a lot of recording onto cassettes right
        up until a few years ago. I have never been a big internet
        downloader. If a band offers some songs on their site, then I would
        grab them. Hey, I like a ton of bands and who can really afford to
        buy everything? I did it in the 80's though before house payments and
        bills up the wazoo! Now I have a cellar full of LP's gathering dust
        but I won't sell them.
        cAtdeli
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
          "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
          recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."
          ---------------------
          I did a ton of recording on cassettes too in the 80's. But, to record
          on cassettes and to trade for free are two different things. A CDr
          will keep a good sound for long, but not a cassette...I remember that
          when I taped an album, it was something difficult (adjusting the
          sound, checking the needle...etc.) if I compare to how it's easy to
          burn a CDr. The "dubbing" on the tape recorders appeared in the late
          80's. But, taping from a cassette on another cassette...didn't sound
          like a CDr. It's too easy, that's why it's a problem. In US, the FBI
          tracks the excessive downloads of the mp3s, but in Canada I wonder
          why the CRTC is mute about it. It's clear that Internet isn't just a
          tool now: it's a media. If copyrights and artists are protected on
          the medias, why aren't they on the Internet? It's not the downloaders
          that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
          like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

          tange
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
            > "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
            > recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."

            That is true but now then the availabilty was limited. Now you can go
            out and get ANYTHING you want.

            >It's not the downloaders
            > that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
            > like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

            I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
            files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
            ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course not.
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
              Yes, there is easier availability. But it is 99% SH**. We had
              cassettes as the state of the art recording medium at that time. We
              also had a bunch of guys who between us would actually get most of
              the METAL albums we wanted. One of us would surely have bought
              something that another friend would want also..Budgie, Gillan, Tank,
              Tygers etc. So it all was, I think , an almost equal situation in
              regards to that. Sure it was "harder" to record an LP but we didn't
              know any better at that time and we did what we had to do for a free
              copy of something that we could not afford to buy anyway.

              Yes, I bought the new STYX, Tange and it ROCKS! 8^O

              cAtdeli
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                "I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course
                not."
                ----------------------
                There's a difference between black and white. I wrote that it was the
                easy side of the downloading that was the problem. Eliminate the
                bigger servers that provide mp3s, and it's getting complicated to
                have one of them. By the way, it reduces the traffic. If I ask you
                some Anvil mp3s to put on the Anvil Metal Pounders in background (to
                rotate), you'll have first to get a software to change the tracks in
                mp3s, to rip it (bitrate, mhz, etc.) and email one by one.

                First it's a sharing that is not going to create some damage to
                Anvil. Second, it's damn more complicated to send a 6 mgs file on
                email than going on Kazaa to download 8 mp3s while you're in the
                shower.

                It's not your ISPs fault if you use your mail server to mail me mp3s,
                as it's not Post Canada's fault if I mail you a copy of a CD. The use
                of all that "sharing" always depends on people. But mp3's sharing or
                burned Cds sharing is not accepted by the Record Companies. I get a
                mp3 to listen, then I burn a whole CD to sell the copies...what is
                going to bug the industry?

                tange