downloading music

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
      I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
      to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore at
      all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
      released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
      release.
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
        > to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore
        at
        > all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
        > released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
        > release.

        Yes, you're perfectly right. There are always some "exceptions" that
        exagerate when something is free. Just go in a "All you can eat"
        Buffet to look at the people eating like pigs and that let their last
        plate completely full. That's America...abuses.

        However, the sound of a mp3 is rarely good as the real track. When
        someone downloads from the web, it's hard to know what it's going to
        have as quality. Even you burn the mp3, it's not all the cd players
        that will takes all the Cd's kind (Memorex, Kodak, TDK, etc.) Copies
        are frustating for that: you burn it, but you don't know where it's
        going to play (Car, DVD, CD player, Computer?).

        Personnaly, the sound is very important to me and I've burned some
        mp3s on my computer with a "LG rewritable", but there's a conflict
        with the CD player...a LG too! Result: I can't listen to the music
        that I've burned on my computer. The DVD is the only place that I'm
        always sure that it's going to play. Sincerely, there's nothing like
        a REAL Cd. Burning mp3 is loosing time for me, but I find that
        burning an Album to make a copy is criminal.

        tange
      • thehelion
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
          I have to agree that downloading music isn't what's killing the music
          sales. Maybe it's just that everything out there isn't worth buying.
          I don't download music but I do tell people that strictly download
          music that if everyone got the music for free then the bands wouldn't
          exist. What band or music company would invest money without any
          return. It's the "music business" when it all comes down to it
          anyways. I recently did a pick up at a music distributor and the guy
          in charge told me that the whole "downloading is killing the
          business" is way overblown and it's just an excuse for the record
          companies to jack the price of cds up and rip off the consumer. He
          told me that over the past 10 years that the cd sales aren't even
          down anymore than 1%-2% at the most and that's there's more reasons
          for that like the prices of cds than people downloading music.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
            Isn't it true that the only thing that has changed with regard to
            copying albums is the media used? In the 50's they had reel to reel
            tape recorders to record vinyl LP's. In the 60's there appeared
            cassetes to record on. Now we have the CDr. The ability to copy for
            free was always there. I did a lot of recording onto cassettes right
            up until a few years ago. I have never been a big internet
            downloader. If a band offers some songs on their site, then I would
            grab them. Hey, I like a ton of bands and who can really afford to
            buy everything? I did it in the 80's though before house payments and
            bills up the wazoo! Now I have a cellar full of LP's gathering dust
            but I won't sell them.
            cAtdeli
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
              "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
              recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."
              ---------------------
              I did a ton of recording on cassettes too in the 80's. But, to record
              on cassettes and to trade for free are two different things. A CDr
              will keep a good sound for long, but not a cassette...I remember that
              when I taped an album, it was something difficult (adjusting the
              sound, checking the needle...etc.) if I compare to how it's easy to
              burn a CDr. The "dubbing" on the tape recorders appeared in the late
              80's. But, taping from a cassette on another cassette...didn't sound
              like a CDr. It's too easy, that's why it's a problem. In US, the FBI
              tracks the excessive downloads of the mp3s, but in Canada I wonder
              why the CRTC is mute about it. It's clear that Internet isn't just a
              tool now: it's a media. If copyrights and artists are protected on
              the medias, why aren't they on the Internet? It's not the downloaders
              that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
              like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

              tange
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                > "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                > recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."

                That is true but now then the availabilty was limited. Now you can go
                out and get ANYTHING you want.

                >It's not the downloaders
                > that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                > like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course not.
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                  Yes, there is easier availability. But it is 99% SH**. We had
                  cassettes as the state of the art recording medium at that time. We
                  also had a bunch of guys who between us would actually get most of
                  the METAL albums we wanted. One of us would surely have bought
                  something that another friend would want also..Budgie, Gillan, Tank,
                  Tygers etc. So it all was, I think , an almost equal situation in
                  regards to that. Sure it was "harder" to record an LP but we didn't
                  know any better at that time and we did what we had to do for a free
                  copy of something that we could not afford to buy anyway.

                  Yes, I bought the new STYX, Tange and it ROCKS! 8^O

                  cAtdeli
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                    "I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                    files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                    ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course
                    not."
                    ----------------------
                    There's a difference between black and white. I wrote that it was the
                    easy side of the downloading that was the problem. Eliminate the
                    bigger servers that provide mp3s, and it's getting complicated to
                    have one of them. By the way, it reduces the traffic. If I ask you
                    some Anvil mp3s to put on the Anvil Metal Pounders in background (to
                    rotate), you'll have first to get a software to change the tracks in
                    mp3s, to rip it (bitrate, mhz, etc.) and email one by one.

                    First it's a sharing that is not going to create some damage to
                    Anvil. Second, it's damn more complicated to send a 6 mgs file on
                    email than going on Kazaa to download 8 mp3s while you're in the
                    shower.

                    It's not your ISPs fault if you use your mail server to mail me mp3s,
                    as it's not Post Canada's fault if I mail you a copy of a CD. The use
                    of all that "sharing" always depends on people. But mp3's sharing or
                    burned Cds sharing is not accepted by the Record Companies. I get a
                    mp3 to listen, then I burn a whole CD to sell the copies...what is
                    going to bug the industry?

                    tange