Re: BTB album cover

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
      Salut!

      It's a good point that you bring here: "Who said that mp3s hurt the
      industry?". The industry is too blind to see all the wrong that
      the "fake web reviewers" do to its sales. The web is now an opened
      magazine where anybody can write, criticize and we're not allowed to
      know the musical knowledge of these "writers". "Freedom of
      expression" they call that...It's only bad propaganda.

      I remember the 80's, when the reviews were in the paper magazines. A
      person that wanted to be hired in a rock magazine had to be
      qualified. His pictures was on the page of the review. But now, who
      are writing the reviews on the web? They are invisible guys that work
      for free at home on Sunday afternoon! I wrote to many of them, and I
      was amazed by their ignorance... and by the fact that they were not
      paid! I would love to see one day an "Association of reviewers" that
      would furnish a "Resume" (Bio) on every guy. Their "fake reviews"
      affects the customers, because we all read them on the web before to
      buy. By the way, it also affects the Record companies.

      In the 80s, to be hired at "Sam The Record Man" you had a 10 pages
      form to fill and it was incredible how hard it was to answer at
      that!! When I was looking for an albums in the 70's, the salesman was
      giving me a description of the albums if I wasn't sure between two
      vinyls. At this store, the staff was not allowed to wear a shirt with
      something writen on it ( Band t-shirt ). They've never influenced me
      in my choice, they were only there to guide me. From Triumvirat to
      Nina Hagen via Motorhead: the guys knew all the stuff!

      Now, we go in a HMV or in a Music World: Pathetic! Don't disturb the
      staff asking for a little help! The guy won't dirt his Limp Biskit
      t-shirt for you...People has chosen to stay home and buy on Internet,
      because they don't like to get a student's opinion that does that job
      just to pay his weed.

      Mp3s is killing the sales? NO! Mp3s is a way to know the truth about
      a CD, because there's too many reviews and we don't know which one is
      okay. The big Record Stores (that play loud only the music that
      they're paid for), the ignorants that write reviews on the web and
      the cost of the CDs are creating a damn problem.

      Tange \m/ "Feed the Flame" -- I prefer BTB to SGS too -- :0)
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
        Yes, very interesting because I was just reading the latest issue of
        Rolling Stone magazine and they had an article called "Don't Blame
        Kazaa". It said that a group of economists at Harvard and the
        University of North Carolina conducted a study that has found that
        file-sharing is NOT the cause of declining CD sales. The study
        tracked downloads and sales. They conclude that when downloads
        increase sales should go down as a result. This just did not happen.
        The study included the world, not only the USA. Of course, the record
        industry rejected the study immediately and will continue to sue
        downloaders. What could a bunch of College Professors and Economists
        possibly know about conducting an unbiased study of an economic
        situation? A lot more than YOU moron record execs, no?
        People use downloading more as a tool to preview new songs before
        they purchase the cd to see if they like it. With CD prices so
        needlessly high now it makes sense to do this. For example, I
        downloaded the latest STYX CD from their website to check it out and
        then after I found it to be great, I bought it.
        The debate will continue.

        Go away,
        cAtdeli
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
          Did you buy Styx for real??...with Gowan singing? You're an eternal surprise!!! The only Styx song that I liked was "Lorelei" and I was 12 years old.

          catdeli <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
            I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
            to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore at
            all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
            released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
            release.
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
              --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
              > to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore
              at
              > all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
              > released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
              > release.

              Yes, you're perfectly right. There are always some "exceptions" that
              exagerate when something is free. Just go in a "All you can eat"
              Buffet to look at the people eating like pigs and that let their last
              plate completely full. That's America...abuses.

              However, the sound of a mp3 is rarely good as the real track. When
              someone downloads from the web, it's hard to know what it's going to
              have as quality. Even you burn the mp3, it's not all the cd players
              that will takes all the Cd's kind (Memorex, Kodak, TDK, etc.) Copies
              are frustating for that: you burn it, but you don't know where it's
              going to play (Car, DVD, CD player, Computer?).

              Personnaly, the sound is very important to me and I've burned some
              mp3s on my computer with a "LG rewritable", but there's a conflict
              with the CD player...a LG too! Result: I can't listen to the music
              that I've burned on my computer. The DVD is the only place that I'm
              always sure that it's going to play. Sincerely, there's nothing like
              a REAL Cd. Burning mp3 is loosing time for me, but I find that
              burning an Album to make a copy is criminal.

              tange
            • thehelion
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                I have to agree that downloading music isn't what's killing the music
                sales. Maybe it's just that everything out there isn't worth buying.
                I don't download music but I do tell people that strictly download
                music that if everyone got the music for free then the bands wouldn't
                exist. What band or music company would invest money without any
                return. It's the "music business" when it all comes down to it
                anyways. I recently did a pick up at a music distributor and the guy
                in charge told me that the whole "downloading is killing the
                business" is way overblown and it's just an excuse for the record
                companies to jack the price of cds up and rip off the consumer. He
                told me that over the past 10 years that the cd sales aren't even
                down anymore than 1%-2% at the most and that's there's more reasons
                for that like the prices of cds than people downloading music.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                  Isn't it true that the only thing that has changed with regard to
                  copying albums is the media used? In the 50's they had reel to reel
                  tape recorders to record vinyl LP's. In the 60's there appeared
                  cassetes to record on. Now we have the CDr. The ability to copy for
                  free was always there. I did a lot of recording onto cassettes right
                  up until a few years ago. I have never been a big internet
                  downloader. If a band offers some songs on their site, then I would
                  grab them. Hey, I like a ton of bands and who can really afford to
                  buy everything? I did it in the 80's though before house payments and
                  bills up the wazoo! Now I have a cellar full of LP's gathering dust
                  but I won't sell them.
                  cAtdeli
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                    "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                    recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."
                    ---------------------
                    I did a ton of recording on cassettes too in the 80's. But, to record
                    on cassettes and to trade for free are two different things. A CDr
                    will keep a good sound for long, but not a cassette...I remember that
                    when I taped an album, it was something difficult (adjusting the
                    sound, checking the needle...etc.) if I compare to how it's easy to
                    burn a CDr. The "dubbing" on the tape recorders appeared in the late
                    80's. But, taping from a cassette on another cassette...didn't sound
                    like a CDr. It's too easy, that's why it's a problem. In US, the FBI
                    tracks the excessive downloads of the mp3s, but in Canada I wonder
                    why the CRTC is mute about it. It's clear that Internet isn't just a
                    tool now: it's a media. If copyrights and artists are protected on
                    the medias, why aren't they on the Internet? It's not the downloaders
                    that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                    like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                    tange
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                      > "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                      > recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."

                      That is true but now then the availabilty was limited. Now you can go
                      out and get ANYTHING you want.

                      >It's not the downloaders
                      > that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                      > like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                      I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                      files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                      ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course not.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                        Yes, there is easier availability. But it is 99% SH**. We had
                        cassettes as the state of the art recording medium at that time. We
                        also had a bunch of guys who between us would actually get most of
                        the METAL albums we wanted. One of us would surely have bought
                        something that another friend would want also..Budgie, Gillan, Tank,
                        Tygers etc. So it all was, I think , an almost equal situation in
                        regards to that. Sure it was "harder" to record an LP but we didn't
                        know any better at that time and we did what we had to do for a free
                        copy of something that we could not afford to buy anyway.

                        Yes, I bought the new STYX, Tange and it ROCKS! 8^O

                        cAtdeli
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                          "I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                          files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                          ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course
                          not."
                          ----------------------
                          There's a difference between black and white. I wrote that it was the
                          easy side of the downloading that was the problem. Eliminate the
                          bigger servers that provide mp3s, and it's getting complicated to
                          have one of them. By the way, it reduces the traffic. If I ask you
                          some Anvil mp3s to put on the Anvil Metal Pounders in background (to
                          rotate), you'll have first to get a software to change the tracks in
                          mp3s, to rip it (bitrate, mhz, etc.) and email one by one.

                          First it's a sharing that is not going to create some damage to
                          Anvil. Second, it's damn more complicated to send a 6 mgs file on
                          email than going on Kazaa to download 8 mp3s while you're in the
                          shower.

                          It's not your ISPs fault if you use your mail server to mail me mp3s,
                          as it's not Post Canada's fault if I mail you a copy of a CD. The use
                          of all that "sharing" always depends on people. But mp3's sharing or
                          burned Cds sharing is not accepted by the Record Companies. I get a
                          mp3 to listen, then I burn a whole CD to sell the copies...what is
                          going to bug the industry?

                          tange