Re: BTB album cover

  • glabrek
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
      --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "tangelaine2000"
      <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
      > I found the time to go on Galy Records to read the Anvil page. I've
      > been impressed by the band's picture. "Basics style", a bit like
      old
      > pictures. The page is unusual: which band can pretend to have such
      > musical past? Tony has writen a short review for all the albums on
      > this page, but it's a long listing! I check the mailman because I
      > want to see the DVD...and the complete album.
      >
      > I return to my boxes. I can't wait to set my PC. We have to move
      the
      > bookself from here to the living...we'll have to make a lot of
      > changes to get the two PC in the same room.
      >
      > tange

      Salut Elaine,

      I got your e-mail. Congrats again for you and Catdeli. Best wishes
      to you both. I'm also waiting for my package from The End to arrive,
      which will have the new Anvil with the bonus DVD. I already have the
      album on MP3 format for a while and like it a lot, even more than
      Still Going Strong I guess. Who said that MP3s hurt the industry? I
      know lots of people who d/l stuff, but still buy the albums they
      like, like I do...As for myself, I like to hear an album before
      buying, and I was able to listen to BtB several times to make up my
      mind and decide to buy it. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I hope
      Anvil will come back to Quebec City later this year...

      Guillaume
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
        Salut!

        It's a good point that you bring here: "Who said that mp3s hurt the
        industry?". The industry is too blind to see all the wrong that
        the "fake web reviewers" do to its sales. The web is now an opened
        magazine where anybody can write, criticize and we're not allowed to
        know the musical knowledge of these "writers". "Freedom of
        expression" they call that...It's only bad propaganda.

        I remember the 80's, when the reviews were in the paper magazines. A
        person that wanted to be hired in a rock magazine had to be
        qualified. His pictures was on the page of the review. But now, who
        are writing the reviews on the web? They are invisible guys that work
        for free at home on Sunday afternoon! I wrote to many of them, and I
        was amazed by their ignorance... and by the fact that they were not
        paid! I would love to see one day an "Association of reviewers" that
        would furnish a "Resume" (Bio) on every guy. Their "fake reviews"
        affects the customers, because we all read them on the web before to
        buy. By the way, it also affects the Record companies.

        In the 80s, to be hired at "Sam The Record Man" you had a 10 pages
        form to fill and it was incredible how hard it was to answer at
        that!! When I was looking for an albums in the 70's, the salesman was
        giving me a description of the albums if I wasn't sure between two
        vinyls. At this store, the staff was not allowed to wear a shirt with
        something writen on it ( Band t-shirt ). They've never influenced me
        in my choice, they were only there to guide me. From Triumvirat to
        Nina Hagen via Motorhead: the guys knew all the stuff!

        Now, we go in a HMV or in a Music World: Pathetic! Don't disturb the
        staff asking for a little help! The guy won't dirt his Limp Biskit
        t-shirt for you...People has chosen to stay home and buy on Internet,
        because they don't like to get a student's opinion that does that job
        just to pay his weed.

        Mp3s is killing the sales? NO! Mp3s is a way to know the truth about
        a CD, because there's too many reviews and we don't know which one is
        okay. The big Record Stores (that play loud only the music that
        they're paid for), the ignorants that write reviews on the web and
        the cost of the CDs are creating a damn problem.

        Tange \m/ "Feed the Flame" -- I prefer BTB to SGS too -- :0)
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
          Yes, very interesting because I was just reading the latest issue of
          Rolling Stone magazine and they had an article called "Don't Blame
          Kazaa". It said that a group of economists at Harvard and the
          University of North Carolina conducted a study that has found that
          file-sharing is NOT the cause of declining CD sales. The study
          tracked downloads and sales. They conclude that when downloads
          increase sales should go down as a result. This just did not happen.
          The study included the world, not only the USA. Of course, the record
          industry rejected the study immediately and will continue to sue
          downloaders. What could a bunch of College Professors and Economists
          possibly know about conducting an unbiased study of an economic
          situation? A lot more than YOU moron record execs, no?
          People use downloading more as a tool to preview new songs before
          they purchase the cd to see if they like it. With CD prices so
          needlessly high now it makes sense to do this. For example, I
          downloaded the latest STYX CD from their website to check it out and
          then after I found it to be great, I bought it.
          The debate will continue.

          Go away,
          cAtdeli
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
            Did you buy Styx for real??...with Gowan singing? You're an eternal surprise!!! The only Styx song that I liked was "Lorelei" and I was 12 years old.

            catdeli <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
              I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
              to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore at
              all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
              released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
              release.
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
                > to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore
                at
                > all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
                > released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
                > release.

                Yes, you're perfectly right. There are always some "exceptions" that
                exagerate when something is free. Just go in a "All you can eat"
                Buffet to look at the people eating like pigs and that let their last
                plate completely full. That's America...abuses.

                However, the sound of a mp3 is rarely good as the real track. When
                someone downloads from the web, it's hard to know what it's going to
                have as quality. Even you burn the mp3, it's not all the cd players
                that will takes all the Cd's kind (Memorex, Kodak, TDK, etc.) Copies
                are frustating for that: you burn it, but you don't know where it's
                going to play (Car, DVD, CD player, Computer?).

                Personnaly, the sound is very important to me and I've burned some
                mp3s on my computer with a "LG rewritable", but there's a conflict
                with the CD player...a LG too! Result: I can't listen to the music
                that I've burned on my computer. The DVD is the only place that I'm
                always sure that it's going to play. Sincerely, there's nothing like
                a REAL Cd. Burning mp3 is loosing time for me, but I find that
                burning an Album to make a copy is criminal.

                tange
              • thehelion
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                  I have to agree that downloading music isn't what's killing the music
                  sales. Maybe it's just that everything out there isn't worth buying.
                  I don't download music but I do tell people that strictly download
                  music that if everyone got the music for free then the bands wouldn't
                  exist. What band or music company would invest money without any
                  return. It's the "music business" when it all comes down to it
                  anyways. I recently did a pick up at a music distributor and the guy
                  in charge told me that the whole "downloading is killing the
                  business" is way overblown and it's just an excuse for the record
                  companies to jack the price of cds up and rip off the consumer. He
                  told me that over the past 10 years that the cd sales aren't even
                  down anymore than 1%-2% at the most and that's there's more reasons
                  for that like the prices of cds than people downloading music.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                    Isn't it true that the only thing that has changed with regard to
                    copying albums is the media used? In the 50's they had reel to reel
                    tape recorders to record vinyl LP's. In the 60's there appeared
                    cassetes to record on. Now we have the CDr. The ability to copy for
                    free was always there. I did a lot of recording onto cassettes right
                    up until a few years ago. I have never been a big internet
                    downloader. If a band offers some songs on their site, then I would
                    grab them. Hey, I like a ton of bands and who can really afford to
                    buy everything? I did it in the 80's though before house payments and
                    bills up the wazoo! Now I have a cellar full of LP's gathering dust
                    but I won't sell them.
                    cAtdeli
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                      "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                      recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."
                      ---------------------
                      I did a ton of recording on cassettes too in the 80's. But, to record
                      on cassettes and to trade for free are two different things. A CDr
                      will keep a good sound for long, but not a cassette...I remember that
                      when I taped an album, it was something difficult (adjusting the
                      sound, checking the needle...etc.) if I compare to how it's easy to
                      burn a CDr. The "dubbing" on the tape recorders appeared in the late
                      80's. But, taping from a cassette on another cassette...didn't sound
                      like a CDr. It's too easy, that's why it's a problem. In US, the FBI
                      tracks the excessive downloads of the mp3s, but in Canada I wonder
                      why the CRTC is mute about it. It's clear that Internet isn't just a
                      tool now: it's a media. If copyrights and artists are protected on
                      the medias, why aren't they on the Internet? It's not the downloaders
                      that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                      like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                      tange
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                        > "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                        > recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."

                        That is true but now then the availabilty was limited. Now you can go
                        out and get ANYTHING you want.

                        >It's not the downloaders
                        > that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                        > like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                        I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                        files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                        ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course not.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                          Yes, there is easier availability. But it is 99% SH**. We had
                          cassettes as the state of the art recording medium at that time. We
                          also had a bunch of guys who between us would actually get most of
                          the METAL albums we wanted. One of us would surely have bought
                          something that another friend would want also..Budgie, Gillan, Tank,
                          Tygers etc. So it all was, I think , an almost equal situation in
                          regards to that. Sure it was "harder" to record an LP but we didn't
                          know any better at that time and we did what we had to do for a free
                          copy of something that we could not afford to buy anyway.

                          Yes, I bought the new STYX, Tange and it ROCKS! 8^O

                          cAtdeli
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                            "I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                            files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                            ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course
                            not."
                            ----------------------
                            There's a difference between black and white. I wrote that it was the
                            easy side of the downloading that was the problem. Eliminate the
                            bigger servers that provide mp3s, and it's getting complicated to
                            have one of them. By the way, it reduces the traffic. If I ask you
                            some Anvil mp3s to put on the Anvil Metal Pounders in background (to
                            rotate), you'll have first to get a software to change the tracks in
                            mp3s, to rip it (bitrate, mhz, etc.) and email one by one.

                            First it's a sharing that is not going to create some damage to
                            Anvil. Second, it's damn more complicated to send a 6 mgs file on
                            email than going on Kazaa to download 8 mp3s while you're in the
                            shower.

                            It's not your ISPs fault if you use your mail server to mail me mp3s,
                            as it's not Post Canada's fault if I mail you a copy of a CD. The use
                            of all that "sharing" always depends on people. But mp3's sharing or
                            burned Cds sharing is not accepted by the Record Companies. I get a
                            mp3 to listen, then I burn a whole CD to sell the copies...what is
                            going to bug the industry?

                            tange