BTB album cover

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 13, 2004
      I found the time to go on Galy Records to read the Anvil page. I've
      been impressed by the band's picture. "Basics style", a bit like old
      pictures. The page is unusual: which band can pretend to have such a
      musical past? Tony has writen a short review for all the albums on
      this page, but it's a long listing! I check the mailman because I
      want to see the DVD...and the complete album.

      I return to my boxes. I can't wait to set my PC. We have to move the
      bookself from here to the living...we'll have to make a lot of
      changes to get the two PC in the same room.

      tange
    • glabrek
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "tangelaine2000"
        <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
        > I found the time to go on Galy Records to read the Anvil page. I've
        > been impressed by the band's picture. "Basics style", a bit like
        old
        > pictures. The page is unusual: which band can pretend to have such
        > musical past? Tony has writen a short review for all the albums on
        > this page, but it's a long listing! I check the mailman because I
        > want to see the DVD...and the complete album.
        >
        > I return to my boxes. I can't wait to set my PC. We have to move
        the
        > bookself from here to the living...we'll have to make a lot of
        > changes to get the two PC in the same room.
        >
        > tange

        Salut Elaine,

        I got your e-mail. Congrats again for you and Catdeli. Best wishes
        to you both. I'm also waiting for my package from The End to arrive,
        which will have the new Anvil with the bonus DVD. I already have the
        album on MP3 format for a while and like it a lot, even more than
        Still Going Strong I guess. Who said that MP3s hurt the industry? I
        know lots of people who d/l stuff, but still buy the albums they
        like, like I do...As for myself, I like to hear an album before
        buying, and I was able to listen to BtB several times to make up my
        mind and decide to buy it. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I hope
        Anvil will come back to Quebec City later this year...

        Guillaume
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
          Salut!

          It's a good point that you bring here: "Who said that mp3s hurt the
          industry?". The industry is too blind to see all the wrong that
          the "fake web reviewers" do to its sales. The web is now an opened
          magazine where anybody can write, criticize and we're not allowed to
          know the musical knowledge of these "writers". "Freedom of
          expression" they call that...It's only bad propaganda.

          I remember the 80's, when the reviews were in the paper magazines. A
          person that wanted to be hired in a rock magazine had to be
          qualified. His pictures was on the page of the review. But now, who
          are writing the reviews on the web? They are invisible guys that work
          for free at home on Sunday afternoon! I wrote to many of them, and I
          was amazed by their ignorance... and by the fact that they were not
          paid! I would love to see one day an "Association of reviewers" that
          would furnish a "Resume" (Bio) on every guy. Their "fake reviews"
          affects the customers, because we all read them on the web before to
          buy. By the way, it also affects the Record companies.

          In the 80s, to be hired at "Sam The Record Man" you had a 10 pages
          form to fill and it was incredible how hard it was to answer at
          that!! When I was looking for an albums in the 70's, the salesman was
          giving me a description of the albums if I wasn't sure between two
          vinyls. At this store, the staff was not allowed to wear a shirt with
          something writen on it ( Band t-shirt ). They've never influenced me
          in my choice, they were only there to guide me. From Triumvirat to
          Nina Hagen via Motorhead: the guys knew all the stuff!

          Now, we go in a HMV or in a Music World: Pathetic! Don't disturb the
          staff asking for a little help! The guy won't dirt his Limp Biskit
          t-shirt for you...People has chosen to stay home and buy on Internet,
          because they don't like to get a student's opinion that does that job
          just to pay his weed.

          Mp3s is killing the sales? NO! Mp3s is a way to know the truth about
          a CD, because there's too many reviews and we don't know which one is
          okay. The big Record Stores (that play loud only the music that
          they're paid for), the ignorants that write reviews on the web and
          the cost of the CDs are creating a damn problem.

          Tange \m/ "Feed the Flame" -- I prefer BTB to SGS too -- :0)
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
            Yes, very interesting because I was just reading the latest issue of
            Rolling Stone magazine and they had an article called "Don't Blame
            Kazaa". It said that a group of economists at Harvard and the
            University of North Carolina conducted a study that has found that
            file-sharing is NOT the cause of declining CD sales. The study
            tracked downloads and sales. They conclude that when downloads
            increase sales should go down as a result. This just did not happen.
            The study included the world, not only the USA. Of course, the record
            industry rejected the study immediately and will continue to sue
            downloaders. What could a bunch of College Professors and Economists
            possibly know about conducting an unbiased study of an economic
            situation? A lot more than YOU moron record execs, no?
            People use downloading more as a tool to preview new songs before
            they purchase the cd to see if they like it. With CD prices so
            needlessly high now it makes sense to do this. For example, I
            downloaded the latest STYX CD from their website to check it out and
            then after I found it to be great, I bought it.
            The debate will continue.

            Go away,
            cAtdeli
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
              Did you buy Styx for real??...with Gowan singing? You're an eternal surprise!!! The only Styx song that I liked was "Lorelei" and I was 12 years old.

              catdeli <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
                to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore at
                all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
                released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
                release.
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                  --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > I do realize that many folks download music to decide whether or not
                  > to buy a CD but I have MANY friends that just don't buy CDs anymore
                  at
                  > all. They just download music. They usually get it before the CD is
                  > released. In fact one of them downloaded BTB a couple weeks before
                  > release.

                  Yes, you're perfectly right. There are always some "exceptions" that
                  exagerate when something is free. Just go in a "All you can eat"
                  Buffet to look at the people eating like pigs and that let their last
                  plate completely full. That's America...abuses.

                  However, the sound of a mp3 is rarely good as the real track. When
                  someone downloads from the web, it's hard to know what it's going to
                  have as quality. Even you burn the mp3, it's not all the cd players
                  that will takes all the Cd's kind (Memorex, Kodak, TDK, etc.) Copies
                  are frustating for that: you burn it, but you don't know where it's
                  going to play (Car, DVD, CD player, Computer?).

                  Personnaly, the sound is very important to me and I've burned some
                  mp3s on my computer with a "LG rewritable", but there's a conflict
                  with the CD player...a LG too! Result: I can't listen to the music
                  that I've burned on my computer. The DVD is the only place that I'm
                  always sure that it's going to play. Sincerely, there's nothing like
                  a REAL Cd. Burning mp3 is loosing time for me, but I find that
                  burning an Album to make a copy is criminal.

                  tange
                • thehelion
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                    I have to agree that downloading music isn't what's killing the music
                    sales. Maybe it's just that everything out there isn't worth buying.
                    I don't download music but I do tell people that strictly download
                    music that if everyone got the music for free then the bands wouldn't
                    exist. What band or music company would invest money without any
                    return. It's the "music business" when it all comes down to it
                    anyways. I recently did a pick up at a music distributor and the guy
                    in charge told me that the whole "downloading is killing the
                    business" is way overblown and it's just an excuse for the record
                    companies to jack the price of cds up and rip off the consumer. He
                    told me that over the past 10 years that the cd sales aren't even
                    down anymore than 1%-2% at the most and that's there's more reasons
                    for that like the prices of cds than people downloading music.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                      Isn't it true that the only thing that has changed with regard to
                      copying albums is the media used? In the 50's they had reel to reel
                      tape recorders to record vinyl LP's. In the 60's there appeared
                      cassetes to record on. Now we have the CDr. The ability to copy for
                      free was always there. I did a lot of recording onto cassettes right
                      up until a few years ago. I have never been a big internet
                      downloader. If a band offers some songs on their site, then I would
                      grab them. Hey, I like a ton of bands and who can really afford to
                      buy everything? I did it in the 80's though before house payments and
                      bills up the wazoo! Now I have a cellar full of LP's gathering dust
                      but I won't sell them.
                      cAtdeli
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                        "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                        recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."
                        ---------------------
                        I did a ton of recording on cassettes too in the 80's. But, to record
                        on cassettes and to trade for free are two different things. A CDr
                        will keep a good sound for long, but not a cassette...I remember that
                        when I taped an album, it was something difficult (adjusting the
                        sound, checking the needle...etc.) if I compare to how it's easy to
                        burn a CDr. The "dubbing" on the tape recorders appeared in the late
                        80's. But, taping from a cassette on another cassette...didn't sound
                        like a CDr. It's too easy, that's why it's a problem. In US, the FBI
                        tracks the excessive downloads of the mp3s, but in Canada I wonder
                        why the CRTC is mute about it. It's clear that Internet isn't just a
                        tool now: it's a media. If copyrights and artists are protected on
                        the medias, why aren't they on the Internet? It's not the downloaders
                        that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                        like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                        tange
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                          > "The ability to copy for free was always there. I did a lot of
                          > recording onto cassettes right up until a few years ago."

                          That is true but now then the availabilty was limited. Now you can go
                          out and get ANYTHING you want.

                          >It's not the downloaders
                          > that are to blame, but the authority that stays blind and the servers
                          > like Kazaa or WinMX that provide them.

                          I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                          files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                          ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course not.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                            Yes, there is easier availability. But it is 99% SH**. We had
                            cassettes as the state of the art recording medium at that time. We
                            also had a bunch of guys who between us would actually get most of
                            the METAL albums we wanted. One of us would surely have bought
                            something that another friend would want also..Budgie, Gillan, Tank,
                            Tygers etc. So it all was, I think , an almost equal situation in
                            regards to that. Sure it was "harder" to record an LP but we didn't
                            know any better at that time and we did what we had to do for a free
                            copy of something that we could not afford to buy anyway.

                            Yes, I bought the new STYX, Tange and it ROCKS! 8^O

                            cAtdeli
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                              "I actually disagree. Filesharing can be used to share ANY type of
                              files. You can't blame them for what files are being shared. Is it my
                              ISPs fault if I use their mail server to mail you MP3s? Of course
                              not."
                              ----------------------
                              There's a difference between black and white. I wrote that it was the
                              easy side of the downloading that was the problem. Eliminate the
                              bigger servers that provide mp3s, and it's getting complicated to
                              have one of them. By the way, it reduces the traffic. If I ask you
                              some Anvil mp3s to put on the Anvil Metal Pounders in background (to
                              rotate), you'll have first to get a software to change the tracks in
                              mp3s, to rip it (bitrate, mhz, etc.) and email one by one.

                              First it's a sharing that is not going to create some damage to
                              Anvil. Second, it's damn more complicated to send a 6 mgs file on
                              email than going on Kazaa to download 8 mp3s while you're in the
                              shower.

                              It's not your ISPs fault if you use your mail server to mail me mp3s,
                              as it's not Post Canada's fault if I mail you a copy of a CD. The use
                              of all that "sharing" always depends on people. But mp3's sharing or
                              burned Cds sharing is not accepted by the Record Companies. I get a
                              mp3 to listen, then I burn a whole CD to sell the copies...what is
                              going to bug the industry?

                              tange