Changes

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2004
      I was chatting with Catdeli and we have started to discuss about the fact that people often shows a lot of problems to accept some changes about Rock or Metal bands.

      It’s true, if you take Judas Priest. They began to lose popularity after "Turbo", where the song "Turbo lover" was sounding like a Disco Hit. Synthesizers were not allowed in Metal (no changes PLEASE!) "What a shame!" cried the reviewers…In 1990, they came back all "refreshed" with "Painkiller" that was a lot more "Trash" (adapted to the reviewers) then the previous ones. But, when Halford "broke up" and quit the band, the reviewers and…WE had a problems to deal with it. Who did really appreciate Owen? Those that have never seen Halford live… Then he’s back, gay and proud…..everybody is happy! Do they wish to be together or they just need a li’l more money before to disappear for good? Who knows… And we’ll all follow the wave…Who won’t buy a ticket to see JP, now that Halford is back?

      I saw Deep Purple in 1985 with the original members and I was in the first row, near the gate. Oh! It was great to see Ian Paice and Blackmore telling "Fuck o**" to each others, really it was "heavy"! I liked the album "Perfect Strangers", but not the show…They were "strangers" on the stage.

      Is that the fear to get old that we all have when we see some changes in a band? Is that a deep deception to miss the "real" band that makes us reject some older band’s new stuff? A band has the right to change from an album to another. It is called evolution and versatility. If a band stays always with the same style, the same old stuff just to be sure to sell more Cds to the "strong metal heads"… they are face to face to a wall. They can’t explore what they can create and put it together on a Cd and it is caused by the fear to deceive people. What about creativity and originality? We shouldn’t read all the reviews on the web. There’s too much of them and the reviewers are sometimes so young that they don’t have the knowledge to be objective enough in their critics.

      I disliked Marilyn Manson, because of the videos and the pics that I saw about them. Then I heard only the music, some of the songs: I liked it……a lot! After, I watched "Bowling at Colombine" from Michael Moore and the singer was interviewed in this movie. He’s not a stupid guy at all… He knows what’s going on around him. If he chose this crappy image, it’s because it pleases to some youngest rockers now. What can we do? Violence and blood are always a part of "Metal music" now. It was this way with KISS and ALICE COOPER too. Is there something new with the death metal, black metal? WASP was…..bloody and violent in the 80’s. Why do you think King Diamond still looks so ugly? It pleases to the Record companies!!

      People that can’t stand some new bands AT ALL, are not able to accept that a band can produce something different. "Changes are perpetual…and it’s a part of life." - Héroclite

      Tange

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2004
        Yes, people do not want their favorite bands to "change".
        If I hear a band, for example Motorhead, AnViL or AC/DC, I am drawn
        to their music and become a fan because I enjoy the way they sound
        now. If they change their sound, I will check it out but it might not
        attract me like their original sound did. Priest changed into a
        Pantera-like thrash band on "Painkiller" and I didn't enjoy it as
        much as the original Priest style of playing.(YES, Turbo made me
        puke,,lol). Motorhead never changed much and I remain a huge fan.
        AC/DC also, no changing and no reason to. I don't think it has as
        much to do with age as it does with what attracted you to them in the
        first place. Coca-Cola was the biggest selling product on Earth and
        they changed it, remember? They have never recovered from that to
        this day even tho they changed back again. People just don't have as
        much band loyalty these days anyway. Look and see how many bands with
        million selling CD's come out with their next one and sell 1/4 of
        that, no matter how good it is. Kids are bored quickly these days
        more than ever. Add to this the problem with piracy and you really
        gotta think it sucks now to be in a band trying to "make it". Talent
        alone does not equal success but really it never did. Most of our
        favorite bands were never really popular, I'll bet. I liked Alex
        Harvey Band, Armageddon, Hydra, Mahogany Rush, Montrose, Rory
        Gallagher, Riot etc growing up but they never got to be big. I kind
        of liked it that way because they were left to play their music their
        way and didn't have "make a hit single" pressure on them.
        Feed the flame!
        cAtdeli
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2004
          I love guitars, really. But, the problems when you buy a show ticket
          for a band that is leaded by a guitarist: the guitar doesn't end!
          Damn! It never happened with Anvil because I would tell Lips, sure.
          Marino is excellent but live I've found this guy very "fan of
          himself". He had some very good musicians, but they were always in
          background because Frankie was doing a solo. It's boring... Stevie
          Ray Vaugh (RIP), was doing the same thing. If a musician wants to act
          like that, he's better to do like Robert Fripp did in 1979. Singing,
          playing guitars with a couple of computers! I saw this show at "Le
          Café Campus" and...Microsoft wasn't invented yet! I discovered
          Montrose on a "Classic Rock" radio station recently. I heard "Space
          Station #5" with Haggard singing and I fell on my ass. What a song!!
          I missed a lot of good bands. Too young, awww... :0)

          When an "opera female voice" is necessary to attract some attention,
          rock music has a problem. It's not like Ian Anderson playin flute
          with Jethro Tull. Jethro live: it was something! I saw them once in
          1978 and I've never felt like that after in any show. It was magical:
          the way that Anderson was launching his flute in the air to catch it
          with the other hand. When I saw Scorpion in 82 for the first time, I
          had a Jethro Tull feedback when the singer was launching the
          microphone. Great! It was artistic and original...

          "I confess" that when I saw Lips with the vibrator I've stayed
          sceptic. I was 17, and I didn't know what it was...I was amazed by
          the sounds that it was doing. And when I knew finally what it was
          for, I've been so surprised to see the same "thing" in the Sears
          catalog!! It was for neck and back pain in the description, I swear!
          Anyway when Lips was using it when his hair were so long and moving
          so fast that we were not able to know what it was exactly. It's just
          about a year after that he began to show the vibrator before to use
          it. But, it was artistic and original...

          Yes, the new bands doesn't have a lot of chances and the ones that
          succeeds to be stars, got to be "extreme". Extremely insane or
          extremely violent. That's what I don't like. They force the bands to
          be brutal to be popular and it's got a negative impact on the young
          people. The music videos on TV doesn't help, the web either.

          Some bands will have to...FEED THE FLAME!

          tange